Had to take off OEM FOMOCO on the new Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
... at 3100 miles into breakin. Suddenly getting a rapping engine noise at 3K + rpm cold. When I took the filter off seemed like something was loose inside. I will cut it open and have pics uploaded today (I hope!). BTW, I put on the MC910s and dumped in QSGB 5w-20
smile.gif
This is on the 2.3L Duratec dohc mazda/ford chain engine.

Is this engine under warranty? You may want to have the dealer look at it..
21.gif

Only 3100 miles into break-in...How long do you think that takes???

Take it to the dealer, the work will be free, they will document the incident well, and will fix it while you lean back and sip coffee.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
why are you getting up to over 3000 RPM when the engine is cold?

Because... racecar

ARCOgraphite said:
Here we go! Started to saw open the can at the base using dremel wheel and oil came squirting out of the filter! It had been sitting overnightHere we go! Started to saw open and oil came squirting oit of the filter! It had been sitting overnight! This much oil came out - the whole filter full!:

oilfromfomoco_92011.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Here is the OEM filter - looks nice - thick can :

fomocofilter_82011.jpg

Here is the OEM filter taken apart - looks like a Champ(?) with base end bypass:

fomocodisassy_82011.jpg

Last edited:
A closeup of the base - ADBV works very well:

fomocobase_82011.jpg

Here is the OEM filter element - all is well visually - paper feels stiff like F-glass and paper media

fomocoelemntclose_82011.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: renegade_987
I'll look forward to seeing the pics. I know this is
32.gif
, but what kind of MPG's are you getting with that 2.3L?
29-31 the last four checks. I use the simple rule to good gas mileage - dont use your brakes.

I dont see anything wrong - but why was there pressure in the can and oil came squirting out like 1 foot!? Something in the gas turn my oil to glue? Now that I think of it, the stack of parts in the can had only about an 1/8" preload on the assembly from the leaf spring.

Last edited:
Looks fine to me.
21.gif
Looks like a M1/K&N clone.

I've had trapped oil release from the filter after tapping a hole in the dome of the filter. I guess it's like the a vacuum being released. In my case I wouldn't call it squirting out though, and it was on dome end bypass filters. If that would make a difference.

Detent spring preload really only needs to be enough to hold the adbv firmly against the base. Looks like that worked here. I don't see an issue.

Background: Did OCI #1 at 1.2K miles with MC910s and 4q of MC-SS. The 910 was leaking at the gasket so I put the OEM back in after filling the center hole a couple times with fresh and dumping it out. The OEM didnt leak. Ran this combo up to 3100 miles but the engine had been noisy aith intermittent "clanking" noises and lots of chain noise. Last Wed. when driving to work I went down into 2nd to climb a steep hill and ran the engine up to 3000 rpm and heard some knocking. This made me go into "super" oil change mode
smile.gif
The 2nd sample of MC910s filter isnt leaking onto the ground (well maybe I have to crawl under there and look closer!) and the QSGB seems fine - though a hint less "slickery" feeling than the MC-SS. The MC-SS gave awesome gas mileage or 29-31. Curious to see how the QS_GB does while the weather is warm and comparable.

Last edited:
@ARCO:

Considering the car is under warranty you should have let the dealer check into it first before doing anything.

Now the dealer can try and claim that you meddled with it.

You can bet they will too. Hope it all works out ok.

I dont see anything wrong - but why was there pressure in the can and oil came squirting out like 1 foot!? Something in the gas turn my oil to glue? Now that I think of it, the stack of parts in the can had only about an 1/8" preload on the assembly from the leaf spring.

It would be impossible for a filter sitting off the engine to have any pressure inside the can. What you saw was probably the oil being flung by the dermal tool when cutting it open.

Filter looks fine ... so if your engine is making noises it's probably something besides the filter. Did a new filter change the way the engine sounds?

Agree with above, if you feel there is a problem, at least bring it in for documentation.

Noticed that these engines are a bit noisy. No problem to speak of, just noisier than most. On the Ranger forums, seems this is normal according to my reading. I dumped my FF at about 1500mi. and have been on a diet of P1 and QSGB 5/20. On one change I tried 2 qts. of QSGB 5/20 and 2 qts. M1 5/30(laying around) to see if there was any difference. I couldn't tell any difference, noise- mileage or otherwise.

Love the truck though, great mileage, and I do a lot of boat towing. Just hit 14,000mi.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: urchin
@ARCO:

Considering the car is under warranty you should have let the dealer check into it first before doing anything.

Now the dealer can try and claim that you meddled with it.

You can bet they will too. Hope it all works out ok.
Changing oil isnt "meddling" with the car. Though I agree putting the OEM back on wasnt the best idea, but its all I had in stock after the MC910s was leaking. The dealer is 40 miles away and im too busy at work even to go to the dentist to get my molar fixed thats been broken in 1/2 for 9 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back