Valvoline Mercon V- Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sifting thru the choices for a Ford Mercon V Transmisson fluid change,---- and noticed that yes, Valvoline Mercon V is a full synthetic.

MERCON®V ATF is a premium, full synthetic automatic transmission fluid engineered to be superior to conventional ATF.
http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/valvoline/automatic-transmission-fluid/35

Is there really any reason for me to buy say Mobil 1, RP, Redline, etc., for a daily city driver?

BTW, I also noticed the Castrol Mercon V is not fully synthetic. Same price @ my AutoZone.

I put amsoil in my taurus and couldn't be happier. Found a dealer who couldn't get rid if it. Bought 15 quarts for $50.
I tow a trailer with periodically it and it shifts smoothhhh.
Amsoil meets mercon v.

I don't think Valvoline Mercon V is a-->{True} Full Synthetic... It is a top quality ATF... Valvoline Maxlife I believe was stated at a semi-synthetic... with a very robust additive package...

If you are looking for a so called Full Synthetic ATF? Look into--->M1-Amsoil-Redline

Be careful what is in print...Companies kinda fudge the {Fully Synthetic} Slogan! It all depends on the base stocks... Do some in depth research and you will see...

Syn , I think you are right. Although valvoline states that its mercon v is full synthetic ,several other places in its literature say that it is a blend. Since Motorcraft Mercon v is a blend , they are getting away with it. There might even be 2 versions with the same stock numbers.The below statements are from various valvoline websites
I think I found it.
The blue bottle with lighter blue stripes where it says mercon v written in white seems to be full synthetic. The blue bottle with greenery and mercon v written in yellow is the blend.
Both have the same stock number.
I would steer clear unless you either got a great deal or the bottle stated full synthetic on it.

Valvoline VV360 MERCON V DEXRONIII ATF Pack of Twelve 1 Quart Bottles : Valvoline Mercon V ATF is a premium synthetic blend automatic transmission fluid engineered to provide performance benefits over conventional ATF fluids. Have techical questions, please feel free to call our Tech Service 1-800-TeamVal

Does Valvoline make a synthetic ATF?

Yes. Valvoline makes several synthetic ATF's. MaxLife Dexron/Mercon ATF, Mercon V ATF, ATF +4 and Dexron VI are all synthetic

MERCON®V ATF is a premium, full synthetic automatic transmission fluid engineered to be superior to conventional ATF.
Sizes and Grades
Name Mercon® V ATF
Size 5-Gal
Part VV318
UPC 0 74130 0031 0
Name Mercon® V ATF
Size Quart
Part VV360
UPC 0 74130 00360 6
Name Mercon® V ATF
Size 55-Gal
Part VV320
UPC 0 74130 0032 0

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!! I'm just doing a partial change using a suction device, 5-6 qts.. from a 13.4 capacity trans.
Probably will just go with some Valvoline based on price, and it's just a partial. Also Valvoline/Ashland Oil Co., is based here in KY.
Actually I went earlier to O'Reilly's to get some Motorcraft for 70 cents a bottle cheaper than Valvoline or Castrol. None in stock.

What I did see was RP for $13.99 qt., and Amsoil ATF for
$13.49 qt.

Probably do a partial 5 qt in a few months , right before winter. I want to try either one, or a few of each. I have seen Redline @Aamazon for $10.49 qt..LQQKs tempting also...

I forgot to mention I have 58,000 miles on the car. Is it too early to use Max-Life? Or would it even matter? I didn't see on the specs online that it is formulated for Mercon V. Just regular Mercon & Mercon SP & LV

Last edited:
I don't think that Valvoline is actively reccomending MaxLife for Mercon V applications anymore, because the KV100C is too low to qualify for the Mercon V approval. It will still work in a Ford trans calling for Mercon V (I have it in our Mountaineer) but they don't want to have any warranty issue by reccomending it and then have the viscosity drop too low in service.

Don't know if it matters to you but the Valvoline is not a Ford licensed Mercon V....It is "recommended for Mercon V applications"...

^

I agree! If you really care for your transmission then put Motorcraft Mercon V into it. You can buy it from Ford dealer, or from O'Reilly parts store on special order (best value, $5 a quart last time I checked). If not possible, look for a fluid that's called "Mercon V" (meaning licensed by Ford) instead of "Recommended for Mercon V"

It's kind of fishy that Valvoline "Mercon V" is not licensed by Ford. Long time ago I heard that there is no licensing fee charged. Likewise, do not use Maxlife for Mercon V application. It's much thinner than most true Mercon V fluids. It probably won't meet Mercon V spec if Valvoline tried to get Mercon V license.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
What vehicle I this for?

2005 Taurus

Looks like this thread was bumped from a couple of years ago...

Originally Posted By: chevys10
Don't know if it matters to you but the Valvoline is not a Ford licensed Mercon V....It is "recommended for Mercon V applications"...

I'm using Redline D4 at the moment, previous 5 1/2 qt drain & fills were Mobil 1 and Amsoil ATF's. this tranny really seems to like a syn atf...

I have a 2001 sable that likes the synthetic BG transmission fluid as well. Very smooth and flawless for 4 years and about 40,000 miles now.

Originally Posted By: chevys10
This.
Originally Posted By: Zako2
look for a fluid that's called "Mercon V" (meaning licensed by Ford) instead of "Recommended for Mercon V"
...and this.
Quote:
It's kind of fishy that Valvoline "Mercon V" is not licensed by Ford.
At one time, only a few years ago, it WAS licensed. Valvoline used to proudly state that it was "officially licensed and approved by Ford" when it was actually called "Mercon V", not the weasel-y "ATF for Mercon V Applications" that they call it now. At least they do tell you on the web site that it's NOT a licensed product. Small comfort. :rolleyes:

I think your better off with Max Life,

first off the flash point Flash Point, °C 190
on the brand you specify

also does not say synthetic in the PDF info

est
Typical Property
Viscosity @ 100
°
C, cSt
Specific Gravity @ 60
°
F
Flash Point, °C
Brookfield Viscosity @
-
°
C, cP
Color
Red
Phosphorus, ppm 650

Maxx Life says

Product Information
A PRODUCT OF VALVOLINE
MAXLIFE

DEX/MERC ATF
Valvoline MaxLife

DEX/MERC ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) is the first fluid of its kind that is specifically formulated for
the
broadest range of
today’s technologically sophi
sticated automatic transmissions. It is formulated with
synthetic
base stocks,
unique seal conditioners, long
-
life friction modifiers, special anti
-
wear additives, and shear stable viscosity modifiers, among other
components
to fight the four major cause
s
of transmission breakdown:
leaks, slippage, shudder and gear wear.
Valvoline has conducted
extensive
in
-
house testing, independent lab testing, and field
-
testing to support MaxLife ATF performance
in the broadest range of transmissions; however, it
shou
ld be noted
that
MaxLife ATF is not a OEM licensed product. The r
espective
vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor
endorsed
MaxLife ATF in these applications.
If an OEM licensed product is
preferred we recommend Valvoline DEXRON® VI, Valvoline AT
F+4® and Valvoline MERCON®V for the
corresponding applications.
The Valvoline
MaxLife

ATF
Advantages:

Synthetic fluid

Conditions transmission seals to prevent leaks

Reduces varnish formation and wear

Our best
anti
-
shudder performance

Improves and maintains smooth shifting longer than conventional automatic transmission fluids

Superi
or anti
-
shudder performance

Provides excellent flow properties at low temperatures and greater film protection at high temperatures

Maximizes the life of higher mileage transmissions

Look at flash point

Test
Typical Property
Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt
Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt
Viscosity Index
S
pecific Gravity @ 60°F
Pour Point, °C,
-
Brookfield Viscosity @
-
40°C, cP 10200
Flash Point, COC, °C
ASTM Color
Appearance RED

SO IMO the Maxx Life is better and it says synthetic

the product you talk about does not say synthetic in the PDF specs

yea, the redline D4 has held up well, it has been a year since my last partial with it. Still a bright red color. Probably do another one this spring.
Y

Really not a fan of valvoline mercon v, it is ok if you are doing a partial flush, and do not plan on keeping it in very long. Otherwise i'm really a synthetic atf believer...

really don't know much about this fluid. Is this a shop fluid, not a consumer- off the shelf type?

Originally Posted By: spk2000
I have a 2001 sable that likes the synthetic BG transmission fluid as well. Very smooth and flawless for 4 years and about 40,000 miles now.

It doesn't say "synthetic" in the link that you provided(Premium Base Oils) but, I have read and seen bottles of MerconV that did say that it was a blend and others that mentioned that it was a full synthetic(unless there is a specific MerconV that says "syn")

I have just seen newer bottles too, that stated that Valv MercV is suitable for T-IV though this link doesn't mention T-IV but does mention Nissan Matic D, J & K

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/mercon_v.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back