Not open for further replies.
EQUIPMENT MAKE: Ford
EQUIPMENT MODEL: 5.0L 302 CI V-8
FUEL TYPE: Gasoline (Unleaded)
TOTAL MILES 163,599 Miles
OIL USE INTERVAL: 2,761 Miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Valvoline Max-Life 20W50
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 0 qts

GEORGE: Nothing too unusual showed up in this sample of used oil from your Mustang. All wear
read well below the average range, showing a nicely wearing Ford engine with no problems that we can see. No fuel dilution, moisture, or anti-freeze was present. Insolubles (oil oxidation due to heat,use and blow-by) were normal at 0.3%, showing good oil filtration and complete combustion. At 163,599 total miles, we think this engine was doing well. The oil use interval seems about right for the way this engine wears, but you could go longer if you wanted.

ALUMINUM 2
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 14
COPPER 4
LEAD 4
TIN 2
MOLYBDENUM 8
NICKEL 1
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 0
SILICON 28
SODIUM 3
CALCIUM 2219
MAGNESIUM 18
PHOSPHORUS 768
ZINC 875
BARIUM 0

------------------------SHOULD BE----------TESTED
SUS VISCOSITY-------------82-95-------------81.2
@ 210F

FLASHPOINT---------------->385---------------420
IN F

FUEL %--------------------
ANTIFREEZE%-----------------0----------------0.0

WATER%--------------------
INSOLUBLES%---------------

So what do you guys think? I changed to motorcraft 10w30 should I go back to 20w50?
thanks
George

quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeCA:
So what do you guys think? I changed to motorcraft 10w30 should I go back to 20w50?

No comment on the analysis as I really have no experience interpreting them. But I am wondering if maybe 10w40 would be your best bet. If you have installed a gauge, what is the oil pressure with the 20w50?

Like the Motorcraft but concerned about your silicon reading. From sealant or air filter/housing?

I forgot to state that I am running a K/N filter(stock replacement)Would that account for the silcon? I've running a K/N since it was new. and have always used a motorcraft oil filter

quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeCA:
I forgot to state that I am running a K/N filter(stock replacement)Would that account for the silcon? I've running a K/N since it was new.

Yes K&N air filters do seem to raise silcon.

I think you maede a good choice going with the lower viscosity. I would guess the K&N caused the higher silicon. Didn't seem to hurt a lot but I would think values would be even better with another filter. But again it didn't seem to hurt.

I'd go ahead and keep the 10w-30. Probably free up acouple HP (?). I ran an '88 GT 5.0 to 187k miles (would have gone a lot longer if it wasn't for my stupid driving) on a mix of dino and semi-synthetic xW-30 weights.

Although this engine seem to do just fine on the 20w-50 too.

Have you ripped out the resonator inside the fenderwell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back