Lamborghini Gallardo oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you thought your oil changes sucked.

http://www.fluidmotorunion.com/archives/8528

Basically the oil filter is underneath the intake manifold. Have fun.

Also, the oil filter is quite small! My 4.2L V8's is at least twice that size.

gallardo_diy18-625x415.jpg

It's easy to do if you have the filter wrench and reasonably small hands. It takes a few minutes to change the oil filter.

What sucks is the price -- the filters cost $70 each and only Lamborghini makes them. Oh yeah, the filter wrenches are expensive too

Really does not look too difficult. On a Ford GT there are these huge under vehicle covers to take off with specific tightening sequence.

Also I noticed they didn't explain why there were 2 drain plugs, makes me weary of them working on a car like that if they cant differentiate between the engine pan and the dry sump tank.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Really does not look too difficult. On a Ford GT there are these huge under vehicle covers to take off with specific tightening sequence.

Also I noticed they didn't explain why there were 2 drain plugs, makes me weary of them working on a car like that if they cant differentiate between the engine pan and the dry sump tank.

It's not as hard as they made it out to be. It takes 20-30 minutes total once the car is on the rack. I don't think they're that experienced on this car because they made the oil filter to be a huge deal which it isn't.

The newer LP560 is more time consuming because it has underbody panels that have to be removed before draining the oil

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
wonder, which oil they used?

Probably PU 5w40, which is what Ferrari specs IIRC.

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy

What sucks is the price -- the filters cost $70 each and only Lamborghini makes them. Oh yeah, the filter wrenches are expensive too

The filter may be a dealer only item but we know Lambo (Audi) doesn't actually make the filter.
As a DIY guy, at that price I try pretty hard to find out who does.

Well the OEM filters for other VAG cars are typically Mann, Mahle, or Hengst. I bet it's one of those 3.

That really doesn't look to terrible.

7k seems like a long time on a performance car, I'm usually a fan of longer oil changes but on a motor like that I'd drop it every 4k-5k.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Well the OEM filters for other VAG cars are typically Mann, Mahle, or Hengst. I bet it's one of those 3.
I figured that since it was Italian, it would have a Magnetti Marelli filter.

That, or a Bosch, since I see so many Bosch parts on European cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back