Oil / filter suggestions for 2012 Hyundai Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another pondering, how do car companies come to recommend an oil for their engines? In this case, how did Hyundai come to an arrangement with Quakerstate, is there any testing involved or is it strictly a business deal? Since mpg is a concern these days with marketing and such I wonder if it is more than payola or whatever involved? Any links to where this may be discussed, I haven't found any info.

I would start with QSUD and make sure it is SN rated which will provide extra cleaning (versus SM rated) good for your DI engine . Next I would give PP SN rated a shot and compare the two . I have tried PYB , PP , QSAD and QSUD and to date my '10 Elantra seems to run a little smoother on the Quaker State products .

Hyundai and shell have a lubricant contract until 2015 and Quaker State is a Shell brand along with Pennzoil so ita all about the money. I think they paired QS and Hyundai since they are both seen as a good value right now.

I used QSUD for first oil change out of price, last year I used PP in my car when it could be obtained for $16 a jug and still have some leftovers. Mobil Super Syn is next on my list to try because of price. I don't extend oil changes just like the extra protection and cars do run better on full syn oil.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted By: schuylkill
I don't want to mess with the warranty and use 0w-20 yet BUT I will try another synthetic next change and would like to know what to look for in a synthetic that may make it more mpg friendly. Or is it simply by trial?

I would start by comparing the viscosity at 40c and try to find the one with the lowest number. You lose a lot of MPG in the first few miles after you start a cold engine, so the thinner your oil is during this time, the greater your gains are going to be.

Here are some numbers I found for viscosity @ 40 C:

QSUD 5W-20 46.51
PU 5W-20 46.68
PP 5W-20 46.84
M1 5W-20 49.8
M1EP 5W-20 49.6

Thats interesting looks like QSUD is the winner there. Out of curiosity I looked up these two
Valvoline Synpower 48
Edge Syntec 49.35

If you sign up for the Quaker State Warranty deal on their website you can get a nearly free jug of QSUD since they give a coupon for a $20 mail in rebate.

When we bought our Hyundai new in 06' the manual stated to use either 5w20 or 5w30. I used a variety of oils in those listed weights. But the one thing I always used was the Hyundai Filter.
Very good filter as well. Affordable too.

Originally Posted By: rossn2
I have a 2011 Elantra, automatic with 4 cyl and get 40mpg on highway. Changed oil and filter (OEM) at 5k and put in Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5w-20 oil from Wally World. Can't beat the 5qt jug price..

The conoco blends are great, often they're cheaper than name brand dino oils. Kendall is another favorite of mines.

So rather than getting any noticeable increase in mpg with M1 5w-20 I seem to now have a slight decrease in mpg. I know there are many factors which may make this not necessarily so but I drive a lot of miles and it takes little time in similar conditions to notice a difference. I don't want to mess with the warranty and use 0w-20 yet BUT I will try another synthetic next change and would like to know what to look for in a synthetic that may make it more mpg friendly. Or is it simply by trial?

being a BITOG'er you should have known how poorly M-1 oils perform: from high Fe levels in UOAs, to valvtrain noise not noticed on other oils, to consumption--gee why does my car consume oil on M-1 when it never used oil on any of the other brands I've used---the list goes on and on. Live and Learn

Put in QSUD and factory filter @4500 mi. interval draining M1. Have been on vacation week so can't judge the mpg yet but I did notice immediately that the start up valve train jingle is completely gone for what it's worth. Also there was occasionally a whooooop noise, kinda like a jet starting up or something, when starting the car which I haven't heard lately either.

QSUD is a good choice - especially with the beating a DI engine will provide ...the harder you run QSUD the more it's active add pack kicks into gear .

Quote:
The 2012 Elantra that is sold in North America is a MPI engine, not DI. I think people assume it's DI because the gas mileage is amazing for a compact (beats the sub-compacts). I test drove an Elantra and I really liked it, it was peppy for a compact (even with the AC on).
FTW

The DI misinformation has surfaced several times in this thread, wonder why it's such a popular opinion?

My bad on the '12 Elantra engine , I swear I read somewhere else where it was a GDI engine like the larger Sonada . Therefore similar MPI engine as my '10 Elantra means you can run a variety of 5W20 or 5W30 oils with stellar results !

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
QSUD is a good choice - especially with the beating a DI engine will provide ...the harder you run QSUD the more it's active add pack kicks into gear .

Please explain this

QSUD's add pack is heat activated - Quaker State marketing talk ? Who knows ...Previous correction noted '12 Elantra is a MPI not GDI engine so any SM/SN rated oil with the OEM filter will do fine in that engine .

That's new to me but I suppose all oils have heat activated additives if you think about it. Somebody sent off a VOA of QSUD 5W-20 last week and I'm very interested in the results.

Quote:
...the harder you run QSUD the more it's active add pack kicks into gear .

From the jug of API SN 5w20 I just dumped in: "QSUD motor oil contains Heat Activated Additives. As your engine temperature increases, a heat-activated viscosity improver and anti-wear zinc additives kick in to maintain oil thickness and wear protection. This advanced protective layer helps reduce metal to metal friction, prevent oil shearing, and resist oxidation and thermal breakdown."

Last edited:
What a load of phewy!
laugh.gif

Quote:
The 2012 Elantra that is sold in North America is a MPI engine, not DI. I think people assume it's DI because the gas mileage is amazing for a compact (beats the sub-compacts). I test drove an Elantra and I really liked it, it was peppy for a compact (even with the AC on).
FTW

The DI misinformation has surfaced several times in this thread, wonder why it's such a popular opinion?

I bought the 2013 elantra because it was mpfi not gdi!.
I am running penn plat 5w 20 winter and i will probably run 0w or 5 w30 in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back