First time oil change. What oil should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I'm new here. Decided I want to take matters into my own hands after reading an automotive diy book.

Recently just bought a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe, 3.5L, V6, Auto Tranaxle. I have never dealt with oil but have learned about different types and whatnot. Last oil change was done by its previous user at a Quaker State using 5w-30 oil. Manual says that 10W-30 viscosity works best for the type of climate I have here.

Wondering what I Should go with. Mobil 1 has got a good deal on their website, though I'm not sure I want to go full synthetic yet and after that coupon I'll be paying full price at $30 per 5 qt.

For some reason Castrol GTX keeps sticking in my brain and I'm sure that's a good oil.

What would you all recommend as tried and true oil for a good SUV. Can be mineral or synthetic, I don't really mind.

Thanks!

Welcome.

Use 5W30, especially over the winter months. You can use it year around, though, and you'll be fine in that climate. No way do you want to use 10W30 in SD in winter.

Do you know how often (approx how many miles) the previous owner went between oil changes? If you look through the oil fill hole, is there any sludge (either on the engine, or on the cap or opening itself)?

What are your driving habits? Do you drive it hard? How many miles do you drive per year? Any towing? How many miles on the vehicle?

Also, what have you all checked and/or changed on the vehicle with this purchase? There is a standard list of things you should check and possibly change with any used vehicle purchase...

Any conventional 5W30 will work great in your engine all year. If most of your trips are not severe, such as short trip less than 5 miles, stop and go traffic, extreme cold ... than you can do 6-7k miles OCI. For oil filter go with Purolator Pure1 or Hyundai or any brand name filter, avoid Fram Extra Guard if possible.

All those brands will perform for your vehicle quite well. Standards for meeting API and ILSAC standards insure that oils meet manufacturer's requirements. Look on the back on the labels of all those oils and you will see the ratings. Make sure those ratings meet that specified by your owners manual and you will be fine.

Being in SD, the cold climate should dictate 5W-30 for the thinner viscosity at startup over the 10W-30. They are both the same viscosity at normal operating temperatures, but the 5W-30 is thinner at startup, which allows it to flow more easily than the 10W-30 to all vital engine parts.

From the horse's mouth::

Quote:
Hot Climate : SAE 20W-40, 20W-50 (ABOVE 32°F or 0°C)
Normal Climate : SAE 10W-30 10W-40, 10W-50 (ABOVE -10°F or -23°C)
Cold Climate : SAE 5W-30 5W-40 (BELOW 100°F or 38°C)

Doesn't really make sense to me (e.g. use of 5/40 only below 100F), but hey...

If your manual recommends 10W30 in your particular climate,go with that. Castrol GTX will be perfect,go for it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
If your manual recommends 10W30 in your particular climate,go with that. Castrol GTX will be perfect,go for it!

+1. GTX is fine. Just stick with a 10w30 and any major brand oil conventional/blend/syn. Any one will be more than good enough as long as you change it according to the manual rec's.

Id definately use 5w30. Its the same viscocity at running temp as 10w30 so why not? If I were to give any advice its not going to be a brand of oil but get an oil filter cap wrench. That will save you a lot of headaches. You can find them at every part store or at walmart. Just find a filter that fits your car and start sizing it in the wrenches. Works like a charm.

Is a couple bucks a qt that big of a deal? Penzoil Platiumn or Mobil 1 especially in a SD winter. I don't call these oils full synthetic. I call them a step above dino. Full synthetics in my mine are also extended drain. Amsoil,Royal Purple, Mobil extended drain, Penzoil Ultimate.

Last edited:
Don't go 10w-30 with a SD winter coming. Run a good synthetic 5w-30 or 0w-30 for those cold starts. The 5w-30 syn will flow much better when cold and still be the same thickness when hot. There is really no reason to run a 10w-xx any more in any modern engine short of race application or diesel.

I'm not a big fan of the standard M1 5w-30. IMHO it shears too much. The EP version is much better.

Last edited:
You can certainly use 10W-30 during the summer.
For the winter where you live, I'd use a 5W- or 0W-30.
The 0W-30 is only available as a syn.
I would not use 10W-30 during the colder months in SD, although that grade was used all year long years ago.
Your choice on syn or dino.
There are often great deals to be found on syns, so you can more than likely get a deal often enough to have a couple of changes stashed.
You could buy Synpower, for example, and take advantage of Valvoline's current MIR promotion.
Also, there is no reason you couldn't switch to dino if you couldn't find a decent price on syn.
Good luck with your new (to you) Santa Fe.
Given Hyundai's recent strides in quality, it should give you many years of faithful service.
Also, you are making the right choice in doing the maintenance yourself.
No one will take better care of your car than you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back