Roach problem in my new mobile home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just moved into my mobile home that currently is infested by roaches. I have bombed the place last week before I moved and have seen many dead roaches showing up. However I'm starting to see live roaches come out again. I have dusted around the outside with the Spectricide granules and am now looking at buying the combat source kill max gel and small roach baits. Does anyone have any advice on how to use these?

Get a shop vac and put a very fine filtering bag on it. Preferably one that is rated for Dry Wall clean up. (You don't want to be breathing in their bits and pieces)

Then clean up every nook and crany of your place. If you find brown spots, that is poo. Windex, or the generic brand, will work wonders.

If you eliminate the food, and you seal up the cracks, they will have to move somewhere else.

If the previous owner/tennant was a pig you will have your work cut out for yourself.
CLEAN EVERYTHING. They can survive off of the carcasses of their fallen breathren.

Noinsecticide will last long enough or be strong enough to kill them off or hold them back forever. You will have to make it so that they cannot survive where they are. And that they won't want to come back.

Get the jell and put it everywhere that seems reasonable. Windows, doors, outlets, switches, etc. Get some of that boric acid dust and spray it behind all the appliances, remove the outlet and switch covers and spray the dust in there, too. Put the traps under every appliance and in every closet and cabinet. Don't forget the areas where there is water, like washer, dryer, dishwasher, sinks, bathrooms, etc. Is there any crawlspace above the house? If so, use the Raid fumigator bombs. Get the regular aerosol bombs and do the living area. Leave the house for a few hours, then return to open the windows and air it out. Leave again for a few hours while it airs out. Get some of the strongest stuff you can find with Diazanon and some kind of pyrethroids (all that stuff that ends in "-thrin") and mix them up really strong in a pump sprayer and spray around the perimeter of your home, around the eaves, and around the windows and doorways. Spray up underneath the house as well, paying special attention to places where electrical and water lines enter and exit.

No more bugs.

This is, of course, after you've cleaned the place with a fine toothed comb.

Also get some diatomaceous earth and sprinkle that all around. Kills roaches and bedbugs. Non toxic to people but it's like little shards of glass to bugs and cuts them all up. Works alongside other methods.

Well my gf just bought the Combat gel and bait, and is on the way to get boric acid now...I'm going to put those out....Any ideas on killing the critters under the trailer? It has an enclosure around the bottom...Could I just throw a fogger under there or do I need to actually get under there and spray everything?

I once helped someone move from an apartment. They had thousands of roaches. If I were you I would look at some professional articles/info. That is what I did and the last thing that is recommended is bombing. First, you want to eliminate sources of food, water/moisture, and shelter. The roaches I dealt with were the German ones. They tend to be most abundant around sources of food (fridge, microwave, etc.) I vacuumed about a thousand of them (rough estimate). Basically, everything in this apartment needed to be destroyed. I found Borac Acid as a quick way to control the population. The gels are good and what professionals I have talked to use. There should be instructions on the container, but I applied them in cracks and crevices that would not be contacted by humans.

This person moved and to make sure the problem did not occur I did the following: I had some sticky traps to monitor roaches. 2. The apartment was kept extra clean 3. I threw away all paper bags or places roaches like to hang out and kept all food sealed in containers.

In five years I have only seen 5 roaches. The problem is bombing only pushes roaches into cracks or to a neighbor. Ensuring the apartment was clean, leaks fixed, and bags or other hiding places gone seemed to do the trick.

Here are a few articles:

Cockroach Elimination

Tips for Safer Roach Control

How to get rid of cockroaches

One more option is Fossil Shell Flour (Diatomaceous Earth). I eat some everyday, but it can be used to control pests like roaches. So, it is safe for human and pets, but kills the things you do not want. A bag of food grade is cheap compared to other products and could treat a large area safely.

Diatomaceous Earth & Boric Acid

I literally went to battle against those darn roaches. Know thy enemy!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Rtstrider
Well my gf just bought the Combat gel and bait, and is on the way to get boric acid now...I'm going to put those out....Any ideas on killing the critters under the trailer? It has an enclosure around the bottom...Could I just throw a fogger under there or do I need to actually get under there and spray everything?

I'd use the fumigators as they're better at penetrating. The aerosol would just spray up and hit the bottom of the trailer without spreading out. I'd use 2 fumigators, one at each end. The more tightly closed the bottom is, the better.

The best thing is to eliminate food and water. They still will come around stuff like air conditioner units. But if you get rid of easy food and water for them, they will tend to be greatly reduced in numbers.

I know a property manager who is a retired U.S. Army colonel; he says boric acid crystals are great.

Around this town, roaches are big enough to put a saddle on.

Being a mobile home, you're in for some fun...especially depending on the age of the home. Definitely go with the granules on the exterior to stop them from coming IN....

I've heard good reviews about the various "Electronic Pest Repellers" but you can't use them as a primary defense....as I've heard they will "adapt" to the ultra-sound waves the units emit. There are a couple different brands available, the one I personally have experience with is the 5-unit pack by Black and Decker, you basically start off with 1 in the primary infected room, pretty soon, you may find them start appearing in OTHER rooms, so plug in one of the units in the other room....and so on, spaced about a week apart.

Going through the same scenario with my little sisters new condo...problem is the whole complexx is infested, so it's gonna take a LOT to get rid of them. We were sitting in the kitchen and watched 1 literally "appear" on the wall above the brand new kitchen cabinets! LOL....[censored] was creeping us out...tempted to try one of those "foggers" but at this state, I have a feeling the roaches are actually coming from next DOOR, burrowing through the concrete BLOCK walls (hurricane construction code here in FL....).

I brought her over one of my black and decker units for her kitchen, and the next morning she said they started appearing in the BATHROOM (the immediate room.....next to the kitchen...).

Heard they ultrasounds will keep them from nesting, but will not KILL them..

Oh yea, and that "Bug Barrier" shot gun trigger thing is JUNK...that did not do a [censored] thing.....at least not in her place....lol. we still loaded up around the exterior door, door frame, and windows, but the problem is they are not coming through the doors OR the windows.....but the WALLS....

Thinking the only way to combat them may be to lay some more plaster over the sheet rock where they are coming in? LOL...

It will take time, since the egg cases can remain viable for quite some time.

Among the professional greenhouse managers, home made roach traps are common (google it): Tall glass jar with vaseline on the top third interior, some bait (banana peel) in the bottom. Some will put a sock or paper towel on the outside to enable them to crawl up easier.

Best of luck!

The short answer is to hire a professional. You can monkey around and hope to get rid of them yourself, or you can get it done right. Once they've been there chances are they'll come back without some serious diligence on your part, especially if the problem is as severe as you make it out to be.

You just moved in, correct? Are you renting? If so, the landlord had better foot the bill for a roach infestation. Are you buying? If so, why didn't the home inspection uncover the problem?

Roaches are a filthy, nasty problem and there are some significant health issues associated with them. I wouldn't live in a roach infested home until the problem has been solved and the mess they leave behind is cleaned.

Florida has roaches. I doubt a professional is really needed.

Some Dursban and a good pump sprayer. Spray inside and outside. Roach gel seems to work. Get the highest amount of poison as possible.

The goal is to drive them somewhere else.

I have not sprayed yet, BUT, I did put out the baits and gel last night. Also I sprikled some boric acid behind the stove/oven, between the cracks of the oven/countertop, dishwasher/countertop, and fridge/countertop. Also I didn't stomp or kill any roaches last night, however the ones I saw I made sure to sprinkle boric acid on them as well. I'm hoping they go back to their next and the boric acid plus other ingredients start the killing process....But I did find one major crack where they were coming in the trailer. It's through a door frame. Any suggestions on how to seal all of the cracks in the door frame? Caulk?

The pest experts say not to use bait and poison together; choose one or the other and if you choose bait have patience.

Apply boric acid very lightly, like a car with one week of dust on it. It's a slow-acting "poison". It's thought that the roach gets it on its feet, later cleans itself which disturbs a waxy coating on its shell, causing it to dehydrate.

Well more news to this story, I found two places they are coming in, but wont be able to take care of them, due to my work hours, until this weekend. So I'm going to spray around there real good and replace the weatherstripping to see if this helps. Also I have noticed that since the baits were put out the roaches have been becoming more scarce
smile.gif
. So we'll see....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back