Been Seeing Many Hyundai /Kia 3.5 Engine Noise New

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had so far this year 5 customers ask me to listen to a cold start noise on their 2010 2011 Kia Sorento and Hyundai Santa Fe with the v6 3.5 engine... Hyundai and Kia says it's normal to sound like that they say most do make that noise...The first time i heard it i could not believe it because the kia in question only had 323 miles on it...
It sounded very loud like it was starving for oil or maybe the vvt has a problem i really did not look into this problem to much because i told everyone if i fixed the engine it would void their warantee i also advised the owners to call hyundai directly after visiting the dealers and getting the bull that the noise is normal and if that don't work contact a lemon law attorney most don't charge the consumer anything and if they win which they usually do they collect their fee from the car manufacturer not the consumer, one person took my advise and got a free new car i think his was a 2010 and he got a 2011...Totally free!
I just learned how powerful that lemon law really is wow i figured they would fix it and maybe give the consumer some money but this guy got a brand new car.. You think he would have at least brought me some breakfeast lol
My daughter has the same noise in her new Santa Fe but hers is leased so we really dont care to much in a couple of years they take it back so its not my problem she did however take it to the dealer so she has paperwork from the dealer just in case...I heard lemon law can be used for leased cars also too bad she loves that car more than anything...!

I would definitely be demanding a different car if my 323 mile vehicle was making loud start up engine noises. My car with 123,000 miles does not even make the slightest rattle when starting even in -20* weather.

I have the 2.4 4cyl. DI Sonata, quiet as can be. I Think my '09 Altima makes a little more noise at startup and idle. So I definitely think your lemon law advice was good. I wouldn't stand for that.

They are not just very loud at startup when sitting a few hours or overnight...
Anyone that has one that makes this noise should go to the dealer asap so they don't say the owner abused it and that is why it makes noise... They pretend not to hear it i think its funny how they play that off..
i have talked to a few guys in the trade and they are aware of this noise... I am in the engine rebuilding business and certain things get around. So much for the 10year 100,000 mile warranty...

thanks chubbs
That lemon law is really good my wife told me about lemon law she is a Lawyer but she does not do lemon law..I hear it is better in some States and worse in others but really effective and free!

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I have the 2.4 4cyl. DI Sonata, quiet as can be.

Same here, but the valvetrain is much quieter with 5/30 than with 5/20. I do have the famous "Sonata front suspension thunk", which two different dealership idiots claimed they could not hear. Doesn't bother me too much though.

My parents have had to Lemon Law a vehicle before. The three keys to success in that process are:

1) Documentation
2) Documentation
3) Documentation

In addition to those three keys above, you also need good documentation. Every time you talk to someone, anyone, write down who it is, when you spoke with them, and what was said. It doesn't matter if it's a dealership tech or a Hyundai representative on the 800-number. Get a good lawyer and you should be fine, if it does come to that.

I bought it used. Plus it's not a safety issue or a big problem, I love this car, and I don't want the hassle nor do I want to end up with another car I may hate. The "thunk" is a minor annoyance that will probably be corrected when I replace the front struts (etc.), which at 52K will probably be soon.... Thanks though.

Originally Posted By: glum
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I have the 2.4 4cyl. DI Sonata, quiet as can be.

Same here, but the valvetrain is much quieter with 5/30 than with 5/20. I do have the famous "Sonata front suspension thunk", which two different dealership idiots claimed they could not hear. Doesn't bother me too much though.

Your thunk may be nothing more than worn front stabilizer bar end-links. I replaced them on my 2008 Santa Fe in a matter of minutes.

In regards to the 3.5L statup noise, that's got me intrigued. I haven't seen any reports of that over at a popular Hyundai board I frequent.

Joel

I owned a 2007 Santa Fe with the 3.3 liter engine, a 2010, Santa Fe with the 3.5 liter engine, and Currently own a 2012 KIA Sorento with the same 3.5 liter engine.

No issues with engine noise either on start up or while running.

Can't recall the source, but I believe this is the 2nd post about Hyundai 3.5 startup noise.

I used to service a fleet of Hyundais/Kias for a rental company and I couldn't believe how much noise some of those 3.5s would make. Sometimes customers would even complain and the guys behind the desks would complain to us service folks.

I know that many had an issue with the spin on oil filters not being OEM. And as much as most people hate to hear it, using the OEM filter did stop the noise. Most of the newer ones at this point should be cartridge filters which I do not think have any effect on startup noises. If anyone is having an issue I would suggest trying to do an oil change with all of the OEM recommended fluids and filters to see if there is any change to the problem. As much as most hate to be told that they should use this or that, sometimes it is just the way it is. With the spin on filters there is a difference in flow rate/volume that really does make a difference in this application. I would give that a shot before getting too bent out of shape. As far as the cars doing it brand new, I have seen many oil filters that have come apart internally when brand new and still in the box. Just because something is new does not mean that a certain part can't be defective. If everything is done by the book and still having problems that is when you try to contact the manufacturer. I had a car bought back from me because it decided it will no longer move. They fought me on it but I was able to get a full refund at 35,988 miles.

I'm giving an old thread new life...

I have a 2011 Santa Fe Limited with the 3.5 V6 with 42K miles and am now just getting the dreaded startup screeching/chatter for around 2-3 seconds on morning startups. Does anyone know what the issue is? Could it be a Timing Chain Tensioner or the VVT? I just want to get as much information before I take it to the dealer. Thanks.

Last edited:
I am again reviving this thread.

Anyone else ever have this issue with a Hyundai/Kia 3.5 V6? If so, did you ever find out what caused it. Thanks...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back