Toyota Tundra Rear-end Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks,

I have a 2011 Toyota Tundra SR5 (2WD) with 3600 miles on it. About 500 miles ago I drained the factory rear differential oil and filled with Mobil1 LS 75W-90. I wanted to use a full synthetic in the rear.

I have since developed a chatter in the rear end. The Mobil1 gear oil is for limited slip applications but my truck does not have a LSD. The folks at Mobil told me their product works well in both applications.

Can I assume this new limited slip oil is the source of my problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

Can you describe 'Chatter'
Is this a repetitive sound while under load?
Does the sound change during over-run?
Are you sure it's the rear end and not a drive shaft UJ?

The Toyota Tundra web site says LSD is "standard" on the truck.

Chatter is a common problem with LSD's.

I'd say you need to add an LSD additive. Even though M1 has it, put in what you're truck specs.

Sorry for the misinformation in my first post. After I checked the dealer sticker, it does in fact say that my truck is equiped with a rear LSD.

So, I need to add an additive/modifier? Does it have to be from Toyota or does Mobil1 make one? I am hoping this is an item I can buy off the shelf.

Originally Posted By: expat
Can you describe 'Chatter'
Is this a repetitive sound while under load?
Does the sound change during over-run?
Are you sure it's the rear end and not a drive shaft UJ?

I only really notice it from a stop. It sounds/feels like a mild vibration coming from the rear end of the truck. It seems to dissipate once up to speed.

Originally Posted By: 1999cutiger
So, I need to add an additive/modifier? Does it have to be from Toyota or does Mobil1 make one?

I'd suggest you get it from the dealer. The clutches in LSD's are all a bit different with different friction characteristics. If you get it from Toyota you know you'll have the right stuff.

After you put it in do several figure 8 turns to work the modifier in between the clutch discs.

It shouldn't be that expensive.

1999cutiger,

I'm 95% certain you do NOT have a true Limited Slip diff on your Tundra.

I also have a 2011 Tundra SR5 5.7L, except mine is 4WD.

These Tundras come with what is known as "Auto LSD" which means there are no clutches in the diff. The "Limited Slip" effect is created electronically when sensors detect wheel slippage, it selectively applies the rear brake to the wheel that is slipping. The Differential itself is a regular differential, there are no clutches inside. Incidentally, it specifies a 75W-85 gear lube, which is a very light (approximately equivalent in viscosity to an SAE 30 motor oil).

I also changed the rear diff gear lube early, and installed Amsoil SVG 75W-90 synthetic. I have not experienced anything resembling chatter, but I didn't expect any since this diff has no clutches in it.

Incidentally, I also own a 2006 Tundra, that DOES have a true LSD with clutches. I experienced chatter on it when I changed to Amsoil, and adding the additive cured the problem.

Dump the Mobil 1. It hurts, I know. Check out the thread I started earlier in the week. Just had the same problem with mine. Went back to Conventional and the chatter is gone. Get the Kendall Limited Slip modifier. Will work as good as new.

Thanks for your feedback...I will pull the plug on the Mobil 1 in the morning. My brother has 4 quarts of Redline 75W-90 (LS flavor) I would like to use. Do you suppose the Redline and Kendall additive would make a good mix?

P.S. Where can I find the Kendall additive?

Last edited:
If it was me, I'd just go conventional. I Lucked out and my local NAPA had the Kendall additive. I used to use it years ago, when it came out of bradford, pa. It seems just as good. Stinks like gear oil times a thousand!

I tried going to Toyota to buy actual gear oil from them. I went to 2 dealerships. One told me they use BG additive and they buy gear oil from Carquest. The other told me to go to advance. GO FIGURE!

Update!

I drained the Mobil 1 from my truck this morning and added Valvoline 75W-90 (Dino) plus Trans-X (by CRC) rear differential additive. After a test drive, the rear-end seems to be quiet as can be. I guess I will be using dino oil with an additive from here on out. Thanks to all who helped me trouble-shoot this problem.

btw, is your rear diff, have drain and fill plug ? I seen alot toyota have the draing and fill plug style, that an A+++++++ on my book. made change fluid so easy,

I actually hate the cover gasket rtv style, I know it can take off the cover and clean the ring gear with brake fluid, but I rather choose the drain and fill style.

so you are comparing dino with additive to syn with no additive?

I think I probably would have tried syn with additive since it was already in there.

It is quite common for LSD's to need more additive than what comes in the gear oil even if its for LSD's

edit: clarity

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

I think I probably would have tried syn with additive since it was already in there.

It is quite common for LSD's to need more additive than what comes in the gear oil even if its for LSD's

After many headaches and much research, Mobil 1 gear oil and Tundra rear-ends do not play well together. I have read numerous threads about people dosing their Mobil 1 rear ends with twice as much additive than recommended, with very poor results. I am through with synthetics in my rear differential. Valvoline conventional 75W-90 with 7 ounces of LS additive and it is smooth as glass now.

Originally Posted By: 1999cutiger
Originally Posted By: Rand

After many headaches and much research, Mobil 1 gear oil and Tundra rear-ends do not play well together. I have read numerous threads about people dosing their Mobil 1 rear ends with twice as much additive than recommended, with very poor results. I am through with synthetics in my rear differential. Valvoline conventional 75W-90 with 7 ounces of LS additive and it is smooth as glass now.

they sell vavoline 75w90 in dino ? u mean 80w80 ? only dino in 75w90 is costal.

did you mean 80w90?
I thought 80w90 was conventional and 75w90 had to at least be a blend, of course by some peoples definition group III is "dino"

I have a 2005 Tundra DC and at my first diff fluid change used M1 lube and experienced chatter. Added a tube of CRC LS additive and it went away.

On the next fluid change I switched to Redline and don't seem to need an additive with it.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back