toyota tacoma 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 2011 tacoma 4.0 V6. just hit 4,000 miles, got a few freee oil changes by the dealer but id rather do it myself. was thnking of running synthetic oil, would like to run amsoil(for the recommended 5,000 mile oci), but i know theres many good syn. oils for cheaper. going to run the oem toyota filter, heard many good things about it. and that most of the aftermarket filters are shorter. so what would be a good syn. oil/filter combo for this engine? anyone with 4.0 tacomas on here? whats some of the better aftermarket filters out there?

If I was you I would take advantage of the dealer free oil changes, there is nothing wrong with dealer services and the benefit is they have records so that when warranty work is needed you'll have no problem.

If you like to do oil change yourself, you need to stay with 5k OCI during warranty period, so that any SN dino or any brand name syn with be good for 5k OCI, Toyota oil filter is more than good for that OCI.

Why do you think an aftermarket oil like Amsoil is better for you new Toyota than the Toyota Brand oil?
I'm assuming your dealer would be using the Toyota Brand oil (which I believe you're entitled to) and not some dealer sourced bulk oil.

Unless you are doing some heavy towing or 4x4ing, I'd stick with whichever 5w30 is on sale at your favorite auto parts store (the oil + filter deal...the brands rotate each month).

If you don't mind the few extra bucks, may as well go semi-synthetic or full.

Last edited:
You can run water in that engine and still get 300K. Pick any oil thats speced and enjoy. Amsoil is good but there are oils half the price that are just as good.

ive always heard how durable toyota engines are. i really want to change the oil myself, so i just need to keep the receipts for the oil and filter incase a warranty problem comes up?

that chart shows hes allowed
5w30, 5w20 and 0w20

?

The 4.0 is the v6, the 4cyl specs 0w20 only.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back