mobil 1 15-40 or rotella t6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone just wanted to ask you all what you think is a better oil for my 2009 kymco xciting 500. It is a 500cc fuel injected scooter. Mobil 1 15-40 or the rotella t-6. Bike only has 2000 miles and wanted to switch to a good oil that i can stick with for years to come! I thank you all for your help!!

I have used Mobil 1 15w-50 in my BMW R bikes for years with good results. I've used the 5w-40 Rotella synthetic in a turbo diesel jeeb liberty. Both oils do well in the UOAs posted on the site. I don't believe that there is a Mobil 1 15w-40. In any case, which ever of those oils that fall into the manufacturers viscosity requirements should serve you well.

Not sure about the Mobil, but I have been using Rotella 5W-40 in my Kawasaki 500 for about 18,000 miles with excellent results. My typical OCI is about 2-3,000, and I use a PureOne filter. The oil comes out so clean looking I bet I could easily run it longer. Another dino oil that comes highly recommended by many is the Rotella 15W-40. Both are JASO MA approved (for wet clutches).

How do you like the Kymco? What kind of gas mileage are you getting? How does it feel on the highway?

I love the Kymco, it runs so smooth and plenty of power on the freeway, even two up! Thanks for the replies guys, i really appreciate it!

Originally Posted By: daman
The M1 will probably shear less in the long run but both oil's are a good choice can't go wrong.

I ran Mobil 1 TDT in my BMW K75C and "Shear" brought it down to near a 20WT! There are NO gears in that oil..they run in their own lube.

I'm running Mobil 1 15W-50 now. I have used it for many years in this bike. I will send a sample to see if it shows "shear". In any case, the bike has run fine for 25 years and 135,000miles so far!

Last edited:
in the 15W-40 range, Rotella is hard to beat. Very shear resistant, JASO MA rated, and reasonably priced.

Mobil makes a 5W-40 "Turbo Diesel Truck" oil. Is this the Mobil product that you were talking about? Is it better than the Rotella 5W-40? Maybe, maybe not. Both of these are fine oils but I believe that the Rotella is more shear resistant of the two. The Rotella also has the distinction of being JASO "MA" rated - meaning that it passes the motorcycle wet clutch friction test. Pick one and see how you like it.

Personally, I like the Rotella, as I have experience with that oil.

Last edited:
I used T5 and found it awesome until the reformulation about a year ago and the new T6, thank you EPA, then my bikes shifted much worse after much of the zinc and phos were removed with the T6.. Now I add zddplus to get my slick shifting back...

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Originally Posted By: daman
The M1 will probably shear less in the long run but both oil's are a good choice can't go wrong.

I ran Mobil 1 TDT in my BMW K75C and "Shear" brought it down to near a 20WT! There are NO gears in that oil..they run in their own lube.

The BMW K75 and K100 do in fact have gears internal to the engine that subjects the motor oil to high shear. There are at least 6 probably more - crankshaft to both alternator drive and output shaft, output shaft to water pump. There's also the crankshaft camshafts drive chain sprockets. The oil pump is gear driven as well.

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/mechanicalpages/kseriesmechanical.htm

The Classic K series don't have shared transmission and engine oil sumps however so the engine oil is not subjected to transmission gear shear forces.

Last edited:
Like daman, I have run my BMWs on Mobil 1 15W50 through the years...I now have three, 1991 K100RS, 2009 R1200RT, 2010 R1200GS. I am using Delvac 15W40 HDEO in all three with great results. I ride a long season and the 15W40 starts well in the R bikes even in the 25 degree F range. I ran a K1100LT 118K on M1 15W50 with no problems. I have owned the RS since new and because it does not get used for much distance travel it only has 47K on it. But, it is a crazy fast bike and loves HDEO.

Mobil Delvac 15-40 is a great dino oil and I have had better results with it than Rotella dino 15-40. You would never now until you try them.
M1 15-40 is synthetic oil and is a great oil as well. I would chose my oil based on manufacturer recomendation for viscosity.

Since you are from Michigan, the 5w-40 T6 might be a better choice for its low temp flow advantage on the critical cold start. If you read Bob's oil articles he feels this is important even in the hot summer "cold" starts to prevent wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back