2006 Ford Crown Vic police Interceptor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to a car auction today and almost bought a 2006 Police interceptor. They were auctioning off 30-40 local Police and municipality vehicles as well as others. There was a 2006 Crown Vic with 62,000 miles that went for $2,600. Nice thing it was a detective's car that was brown in color and did not have the decals on and the white paint that the cruisers had. Car looked mint, and everything worked, but it had holes in the roof from the lights. (Holes had duct tape over them) I was worried about the amount of time it may have spent idling, but for $2,600 who cares.

Anyone ever bought a used Police car, and what was your experience? Dio you think this vehicle would ever hold its value as they don't make them anymore?? I think it would be cool to own one.

Over here, it's very difficult to set a selling price on a Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis. It's not uncommon to see a clean '99 sell for ~$7,300, although I think it's quite the opposite in the States.

If you're after a cheap, reliable runaround, they are great buys - especially if you're lucky enough to score something like that for the price. But I don't really seem them holding their value for that long. They may for a while once production for the US market ends at the end of this month, but I don't see it happening for too long.

Panther platform cars are solid cars. One of the best cars ever made IMO. They're easy to fix and cheap to maintain, Ive owned a handful and looking for another one. I wouldnt worry about the idling, the 4.6 can run and run and run, bullet proof motor. Also one of the best motors made. The only qualms Ive had with panthers is most of them I've had was the was always iffy.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Panther platform cars are solid cars. The only qualms Ive had with panthers is most of them I've had was the was always iffy.

Sorry, but what was iffy??

The p.I. has the 4.6l 250 h.p. engine. Purchased a used one (99) 17 months ago. Car had 121K on it then now has 129K. Has pulled up to 122 mph. Only issues were a very slight drip from the front tranny seal-sealed with ATF fluid seal repair. Drove the car 230 miles a day for work from Feb to April with no issues. If you do not have any anti-freeze leaks from the top front radiator spigot connection should be a runner. Most of the Interceptors have had reasonable maintenance with their high miles. Overall a reliable car.

Originally Posted By: fastbear
The p.I. has the 4.6l 250 h.p. engine. Purchased a used one (99) 17 months ago.

The horsepower was upped to 250 in 2004, after an air filter box and 80mm MAF was borrowed from the Mercury Marauder (along with a straight zip tube). The '99 had 215 hp with the dual exhaust system, which was increased to 235 hp in 2001 with the new Performance Improved cylinder heads. The addition of a knock sensor further increased that to 239 hp in 2003. Civilian models are still rated 239 hp with dual exhaust (224 hp with single exhaust).

That said, the early production '99 CVPIs came with a 3.55:1 rear axle ratio, making it the second most desirable CVPI after the 2004, which was favored for the 250hp without electronic throttle control. The second batch of '99 CVPIs came with a 3.27:1 rear axle ratio.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Anyone ever bought a used Police car, and what was your experience? Dio you think this vehicle would ever hold its value as they don't make them anymore?? I think it would be cool to own one.

My Dad bought two ex Texas DPS police cars back in the late 1980s- both were M-body Mopars (a slant-6 83 Diplomat, and a 318 83 Gran Fury). They were both supervisor cars, not interceptors (no 4-bbl on the 318, no 100A alternator, etc.) Both had about 120k miles when bought, and both were dead-nuts reliable for the rest of their lives. The Gran Fury got run out to well over 200k miles, and the only problem it ever had was a rear axle pinion bearing failure at over 200k. The slant-6 Dippy had to be the SLOWEST car I've ever driven, and it got worse gas mileage than the Gran Fury- they had castrated the poor slant-6 down to around 100 horsepower (maybe even less) by 83 and it never got any combustion chamber improvements to compensate for emission controls the way the 318 did.

All in all, both cars had been used hard, but had been VERY well cared for with absolutely complete record files available for review before the auction. When the DPS starts auctioning off used Chargers here in a few years, I'd definitely consider one. Local police departments- not so much. One PD in particular is known for just running their junk until it quits rather than taking care of it.

I have had three "retired" interceptors. I had to deal with some silly electrical problems caused the the idiots that removed the police strobes and such, but otherwise they were great cars. A friend of mine just bought an '02 P71 for a daily driver. Compared to his previous 4-cyl car he thinks the Crown Vic is a rocket.

Funny, I was at a rest stop on a trip just a couple of days ago and a CVPI (K-9 unit) was parked and idling while the officer was having a relaxing lunch in the rest area restaurant. I was just cringing thinking about how long it was idling with the AC on (because of the dog inside). We were there 30mins at least and who knows how long his lunch was. I just thought to myself how those engines must get pounded. $2,600 is a good price though and they are very reliable vehicles. I wonder how often they change the oil? They definitely should do it by hours run but I doubt they do that.

Panther platform cars are solid cars. The only qualms Ive had with panthers is most of them I've had was the was always iffy.

Sorry, I meant the air conditioning. Mine never seemed to work right.

The 06 should display the idle hours on the odometer thing. My 06 and 10 have it. Being it was a detective car it shouldn't be ragged out. I had transmission problems with my old 06 because they never did any maintenance on it. At about 100,000 miles it started slipping, but that dog gone motor ran like a top!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ryan
The 06 should display the idle hours on the odometer thing.

What do you have to do to get it to show the hours displayed?

Originally Posted By: Ryan
The 06 should display the idle hours on the odometer thing.

What do you have to do to get it to show the hours displayed?

Hit the mileage/trip button..Then hit the trip button one more time..It should show up.

A friend a few months ago bought a 2008 former city of Miami car [CVPI] with 130K miles on it..He never checked the idle hours..It had 7100 hours so the car actually has over 300K miles on it..So far all is well so far and everything works properly..Even a/c is ice cold...It was well maintained by fleet.

I know of several people who bought decommissioned CVPI'S..They were formally FHP,Miami-Dade and Miami Beach cars..The average price was 2700 bucks..All had over 100K mies on them..Only issues with some of them were fan assembly,water pump,alternator,and window motor as they open and close the drivers window about 100 times a day..Nothing major..The Miami Beach car had alot more issues..I told him not to get that car as Miami Beach does zero highway miles..It is 100% stop and go with constant gridlock with tons of idling..Even with all that Miami Beach manages to get at least 7 years out of their cars.

You have to make sure it was a take home or one driver car..Not a pool car that everyone drives..You can get maintenance records for most of the cars.

Sorry, I meant the air conditioning. Mine never seemed to work right.

Down here in the jungle if the a/c acts up in the Leos car it goes right into the shop the same day..I do not hear of one Leo complaining about the a/c.

In fact I do not know of anyone who owns a Panther complain about the a/c..The a/c in the Panther will cool off a 7 room house as long it is working properly..Down here the Leos NEVER shut the a/c off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back