what type of atf for the civics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks, and was wondering what atf I should use for the g.f.'s 98' Civic HX automatic. I used some of the Honda ATF Z-1 for mine when I changed my atf at 86k. The g.f.'s has 80k on it now and I plan on changing it out before winter time. I thought I read on here that you can use Valvoline Max Life ATF, maybe I am wrong. What kind should I use in my 03' Civic LX when I change mine out again in another 40 or 50k?

thank you in advance,

Adam

Honda fluid is what you should use. Valvoline Max life ATF is an option. There are tons of options actually. Do you not like the Z-1 in there now? DW may be an option as well, you would have to sak Honda about that. I have had good luck with that fluid and it is an improvement over Z-1. It is petty in cost when you consider the timeframe.

Maxlife works well for our Honda.

DW1 is also full syn, and works well.

Either would be a fine choice for your Hondas.

I see and thanks for the info guys. Last time I got atf for my civic, the honda dealership I use, gave me the Z-1 fluid, as guy said thats what they use there. If I get the Max Life, should I get the DEX/MERC? That was all I saw at advance auto last night.

Thanks in advance

Lt4Vette, the Civic HX isnt a suv its a 2dr Civic and I dont believe it has a cvt at all

No, her car is a 2 dr HX, mine is a 03' civic LX. Sorry if I misinformed you before LT4Vette. Could I get and use the MAX LIFE DEX/MERC or does valvoline have max life in honda spec type fluid? The other or HONDA DW fluid is bout 75 cents more up here I found out also. The Z-1 is ok I guess

Valvoline doesn't have an ATF specifically for Honda, which is my only hesitation to use it. Their DEX/MERC also lists Honda Z-1 on the bottle. I'm not a big fan of "universal" fluids. A lot of folks report good results when using it, though.

I would personally buy the new DW-1 fluid from the dealer. It's a fully-synthetic fluid and is improved over the older Z-1. In fact, Z-1 is discontinued. DW-1 is used in all applications where Z-1 was specified.

I did not know this Hokiefyd, so thanks for the info. Yeah I bought 5 qts of the Z-1 fluid last summer, and thats all the dealership had was the Z-1. May head back over there real soon and get some of the DW-1 fluid for the g.f.'s 98' Civic HX.

thanks for the info again Hokiefyd. So, it sounds like Valvoline is confusing folks eh? I did notice that on the bottle myself.

I just don't like fluids that are supposed to be okay for a number of different applications. According to Valvoline's website, these are all applications for their DEX/MERC:

"Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required."

I'm just not convinced that the performance properties of every one of those fluids is close enough that ONE product can be optimal for all of them at the same time. I could be wrong, and again, a lot of people report good performance with the Valvoline product.

I dunno. I'm just funny that way with 'universal' fluids.

I agree whole heartedly with Hokiefyd. Just because the ATF label states suitable or may be used does not mean it is optimized for a transmission. I agree the substitute fluid may work seemly well but, probably not as good as the OEM recommendation in the long haul. I do not try to save $10 on ATF in a $2,000+ transmission by using a fluid that does not MEET the manufactures specs. Ed.

Considering that Z1 was a horrible transmission fluid, it's not hard to make a better fluid.

If DW1 had been available, I'd have used it instead of Maxlife when I started looking for something better than Z1 that was readily available. That being said, I won't switch now since the Maxlife has worked out quite nicely in the 20k miles we've used it in our Honda's transmission. I've had nothing except good things to say about its performance in all seasons and conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back