5w30 instead of 5w20 (Synthetic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7L Hemi. Manual states 5w20 (also on oil cap) for MDS to operate normal. Would like to run Mobile 1 5w30. I read an article sometime back what was the long term effect 5w20 on engines with summer's of extreme heat. At one time Honda and Ford were the only one's using 5w20 and the only reason was the meet EPA fuel requirements. I know this might be a sticking point if I used 5w30 if it came to warranty. I guess my question is what damage am I doing (MDS & engine wear) by using 5w30. You thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Your engine will run cooler....with 5w20....especially in the extreme heat.

Do what Ford recommends....they know what their doing.

Originally Posted By: walk23
he's asking about a Dodge.

Ah, same thing, I guess...
grin.gif

Run mobil 1 5w-20 or 0w-20

The much repeated "20 weight is for CAFE only" doesn't mean the lube industry hasn't produced fluids that are up to protecting the engine.

Last edited:
We have run 5W20 year around in the last 5 vehicles we have owned.

We live just a few miles from the Florida line and experience long hot summers.

My vote goes for the 5w20.

I had a 2006 Hemi Ram with MDS that called for 5-20 in the manual. I ran 5-30 synthetic in it always and I could not tell any difference in the fuel milage so it seemed like the MDS was still working fine. You might try it and see if you can tell any difference in your 2011 Hemi. My son has another 2006 without MDS and he also runs 5-30 synthtic Mobil 1 with no problems.

There is no need to fear 5w20, the engine has been designed to run that oil, and it's not just a "fuel economy oil". There are enough cars and trucks on the road that have been running 5w20 for many years now in hot weather to prove that it's completely safe. We've even see a few UOAs on here where people used 5w20 in hot weather in a truck used for towing and it performed perfectly.

Another thing to think about is that most conventional 5w30s will thin out to a 5w20 rather quickly, so there are even more cars running "5w20" than you think.

You could always run a couple quarts of 5w20 and a couple of 5w30 at the same time.

I don't think Mobil 1 5w30 would be a good choice for 30w oils because it is one of the heavier ones at 11cst. I'd probably go with Pennzoil Ultra if you must have a 5w30. That being said I run Mobil 1 5w30 in my cars sometimes, but they both call for 5w30 oils.

I run 0w30 in my 2010 Hemi with no issues what so ever, oil pressure only raised a couple of PSI at cold startup compared to FF 5w20. I get great mileage and the engine is smooth as silk

Car manufactures tested their cars/SUV's in extreme heat of Death Valleys during summer with spec'ed oil. If you think North Carolina is hotter than Death Valley, usually around 115-130F noon, from June till September then you should use thicker oil. Otherwise use spec'ed oil which is xW20 in your 5.7L Hemi engine.

Millions of Hondas are running on 5w20, including screamers like the S2000. I use to run M1 AFE 0w20 in my S2000, and even after repeated track days and autocrosses, I sold it with perfect compression and no oil consumption.

You should follow the manufacturer's recommendation.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Millions of Hondas are running on 5w20, including screamers like the S2000.

Are you sure that Honda specifies 5w-20 fo the S2000? The factory specified oil for my 2007 Civic SI is 5w-30. As far as I know, Honda stipulates that 5w-30 is the proper oil for all 8th generation Civic SI models (2006-2011). Since the s2000 has an even more aggressively tuned engine than the Civic SI, I would expect Honda to recommend 5w-30.

For the record, I have run the factory recommended 5w-20 in my 2003 Mazda MPV for the past 9 years (in South Texas heat) with no problems.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Honda specs call for either 10W-30 or 5W-40 for the S2000.

Correct. 10W30 for warmer climates and 5W40 colder climates.

My mistake, meant to say 5w30. I ran M1 AFE 0w30, not 0w20 in my S2000.

It's the other Hondas that are mostly spec'd for 5w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back