06 pontiac grand prix, 3.8 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
changing the oil in my sisters car today. due to family issues, my dad had to take the car away from her, so i figured id check the oil and everything else. pulled the dipstick, ridiculously dirty and way overfilled. i knew my sister never took care of it,(car has 70,000 miles but looks horrible and runs just OK, yeah its sad) so i stopped by walmart today and got 5 quarts of semi syn motorcraft 5W30 and an ACDelco Duraguard filter PF47.i also noticed they had a PF47E, im assuming this is the ecore filter that everyone says is no good. so is the PF47 filter a good one? thinking of using a PF52 next time, more capacity. also,ive heard motorcraft is a great oil should the motorcraft clean up any sludge left behind from the lack of oil changes?

The full syn Motorcraft would do an even better job of cleaning things out, though it may take a few changes to really get everything.

E-core or not it will work fine. I've been using E-core ever since they first came out and probably cut open 20 of them, that were used in 3 different cars/trucks and never had a problem. Since you were at Wal Mart you should just have picked up an ST filter, since it's about the same as a Delco but for cheaper price.

Last edited:
not sure how similar the frame setup is to an 01, but good luck getting that pf52 off if the engine mount starts failing, and the engine sits an inch or so lower... have a reciprocating saw ready..

Last edited:
The PF-47E is the E-core, the part number will start with 192xxxxx.

Sounds like you will do a few short OC with that anyway to clean it up some more. Any filter will do great for 3-5k miles.

So is it your dad's car or your sisters?

Kind of sounds like it belongs to dear old dad. If that is the case then I can understand why it was neglected, as is so often the case with anything that is just GIVEN to someone, it gets neglected because when it breaks that person assumes that they will just be GIVEN another one.

E-core will be fine, I would not bother with the PF-52 though. There is not a lot of room on these cars for it and it's really only about an inch longer.

well, the car is on my dads name, so technically its his car, juts sad thta my sister is 33 yrs old and my dad had to take a car away that he put out his own money for and he had to take it away cause my sister didnt, not couldnt, pay the note on it.

4 and 1/4 quarts motorcraft 5W30 brought it up to the 3/4 full mark on the dipstick ans i put the new filter, seems quieter now. drain plug was so tight that i almost rounded off the head the first time, theres no clearance between the oil pan and tranny pan to put a socket/ratchet.

I've had four Grand Prixs w/3.8. From 1998-2008. I've used the larger filter on all of them. I takes a bit of gymnastics to change, but I've used the plastic bag method a time or two and put a piece of foil over the frame rail for years on those cars.
I've heard of using a cut down qt gear oil bottle method too.
Yes it's messy, but I feel better with the bigger filter and that engine is bullet proof.
Cranking the wheels to the hard left allows access to the filter through the wheel well.

I never did it that way though.(ramps).

I personally like the PF47 AC-Delco when definitely NOT e-core. Just my preference.
smile.gif

If it's cheaper than a P1, I grab that, depending on the deal I can get at the time. Also, if someone doesn't like the 'can thickness' feel of a P1, they could always find the Bosch Premium equivalent, even if it's the same can thickness.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back