Twenty years of synthetic - very happy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled the valve cover off my 91 Honda CRX Si today to get a visual of the timing belt. I was very pleased to see that things are nice and clean under the cover. Engine is a D16A6 with 32,300kms. I've used many different oils in the engine: Castrol Syntec 0W30, 5W30, 5W50, Motomaster Full Synth 5&10W30, Pennzoil Pennzane 5W50 and now it's full of Pennzoil Platinum 10W30.

dscf1203v.jpg

dscf1204a.jpg

dscf1205d.jpg

dscf1206.jpg

Originally Posted By: Audioquest
No, I mean 32,000. Thirty-two thousand.

You could have run one oil change on dino and had the same looking engine with those KM's

lol. i agree it looks very nice. but i certainly wouldnt credit "synthetic" for it, since ANY engine should look like that with 20000 miles, no matter how cheap of oil was used

well, at least 6 oil changes, in 32,000 km's?

I'd expect it to look that clean, regardless of whether or not the oil was synthetic! I think it could be 60 years and with that mileage it wouldn't make a difference. Boy, that's a rare gem you have there--a low mileage CRX Si.

Mine died a sad, fiery death around 150K, but I did valve adjustments on it every 30K and the valve train looked very similar, mostly on 20W40 GTX. Do they even make 20W40 oil, anymore?

Any pictures of the rest of the car?

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: Audioquest
No, I mean 32,000. Thirty-two thousand.

You could have run one oil change on dino and had the same looking engine with those KM's

I agree. serious waste of money. I mean, you own a 20 year old car with 32,000 KM. I'm on the opposite end. I have a 96 sunfire owned since new. it uses about a quart of dino oil every 3k miles. am I angry about it? nope, but the engine still runs like new. if I popped the valve cover off, you probably would see some varnish (OH NO!!
smirk.gif
) but I have 173k miles on that engine. I'm very happy too
48.gif

Looks AWESOME!!!!!!!! You take very good care of your car and looks like you take alot of pride in her :^) Congrats! Keep it up!

lol, that car's barely stretching it's legs and you're all hyped up with 32000 km? That's only 19,883.88 miles.

Nothing to brag about.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Can I see pics of the rest of the car? That is an awesome car and I'm less interested in seeing under the valve cover
laugh.gif

Here you go:

dscf1114g.jpg

Do you know this guy?

All I can say is "WOW". So nice to see one of those without cut springs and some horrid body kit and giant muffler. I really loved mine, probably the most favorite car of all I've owned.

Nice Ride.. I've always loved Honda's earlier models, and that CRX is no exception. Reminds me of that other recent post of that Corolla living in the basement... very nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back