Oil For 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
what oil + filter would you use in a 2000 jeep cherokee 4.0 with 160,000 miles ...Owners manual says 10w30

How about the A.T.F. 4speed automatic

What about the 4wheel drive?

T5 Rotella 10w30 in crankcase.
ATF+4 any brand in trans.
ATF+4 in T-case.
80w-90 for non towing in diffs.

TRAC-LOK rear diffs need limited slip additive.

Mobil 1 ATF or for a lot less Valvoline MaxLife ATF Dexron/Mercon, Full Synthetic at Advance Auto using the discount codes.

For Oil in 10W-30 I would use Rotella Triple Protection, Dino Diesel in API-SM, CJ-4 for mixed fleet use, also on sale at Advance Auto.

Just changed out my ATF to Mobil 1.... and the Front, Rear and Transfer case to Mobil 1 75W-90 full synthetic. Use the discount codes and you'll save a bundle.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i think the transmission calls for dexron/mercon

Last edited:
i called an oil company and they said to count the bolts on the transmission pan ...i dont remember which one is which

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i called an oil company and they said to count the bolts on the transmission pan ...i dont remember which one is which
]

The trans stick should have it printed on it too.

10w-40 to protect against cam lobe wear, Valvoline for its superior cold temp performance. And a dealer filter.

Last edited:
I use PP or PU 5w30, 10w-30 and 10w-40 (Mobil 1).

P1 Filters

Never noticed a difference in how she runs really.

Mine's a 2000 XJ as well, Chrysler rear.

I run all synth Pennzoil in the Diffs, Transfercase and gearbox. Weights according to the manual (cant remember offhand)

Things I have to deal with in the near future are:

Transmission leak

AC leak.

Last edited:
For Oil, any boring basic 10w30 will work just fine (and has for years and years in the 4.0). Some also prefer the 5w40 type oils. They work fine too. A high mileage oil would be a good choice, and my personal filter choice is a Wix.

The 4.0 NEVER had a different automatic tranny behind it in the XJ besides the AW4. It originally called for a Dexron/Mercon fluid, and later had a TSB allowing ATF+4. Most XJ folks stick with the Dex/Merc fluids.

(The note for the other tranny is for the auto behind the 2.5 liter 4 banger).

I have an '88 XJ. Running 10w30 brand name dino oil (Mobil Drive Clean was the flavor on sale last time), Wix Oil Filter, Citgo ATF, and Pennzoil gear oil in the OEM weights.

Valvoline Dex VI ran GREAT in my AW4. snappy and concise. no slop.

10-30 if it doesn't burn oil (yet). I liked Rotella in mine. However, a splash of 0-20 syn always quieted the lifters. mine was the older, noiser, pre-96 valvetrain. YMMV.

M

PP in the engine. Amsoil ATF in the transmission and transfer case. Amsoil gear oil in the diffs. Use the Amsoil website to determine exact product. Qudratrac is different than Selectrac.

Jeep Cherokees with the Aisin/Warner 4 Speed Automatic(AW4) require the use of Dex/Mer traditional ATF. NOT +4 ATF. That is for use in the Chrysler 904 3 speed Auto that was put in early,early 84 thru 86 Cherokees. Yes, Wranglers of all years until 03 had this trans, but not Cherokees. I believe Shell Rotella T5 10w-30 Diesel oil is one of the Best 10w-30 oils you could put in a Jeep 4.0 Inline. Absolute the Best.

Jeep 4.0 motors Do like the Higher levels of Zinc/Phospherous found in Diesel oils, High mileage oils, and thicker weight oils(10w-40 and thicker). I have 4 Jeeps in use now with the 4.0, and I really do believe they like a thicker oil. The engine design is Old School, the types of oil used in these engines when the were designed were the thicker weights. Thats not to say that these engines couldnt survive on a thinner weight such as 5w-30, they can survive just fine with that. I just think with Hard use, these motors live longer with a good, thick 10w-30 or 10w-40. Quaker State is my New favorite for most any year or condition Jeep 4.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back