BG Products 792 synchro shift fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local Honda dealer recently did a rear differential service on my 2011 Honda Ridgeline. Its is an all wheel drive, with a complex rear diff. The dealer replaced the fluid with a BG products 792 synchro shift fluid instead of the Honda fluid. After doing some research, it appears the BG company has a website, but lacks much info on its products. Lots of area dealers use the stuff though, but I have no idea which of the BG stuff they actually use. I intend to question the dealer as to why the BG fluid, the quality, ect., but am afraid all I'll get is the BG company line, unless I actually speak to someone knowledgable. Just wondering if anyone else has run across the stuff, and has any info on it. I can't believe its snake oil and all the dealers would use it, so I suspect while its a huge profit maker, it might actually be adequate. If it was [censored], there would be a lot of angry owners and the liability issues would surface. Anybody actually looked at or better yet, tested the stuff?

BG is very popular with dealers, yes. Honda would not use this in a vehicle under warranty unless it met or surpassed their requirements.

NOTHING BUT HONDA VTM4 FLUID SHOULD EVER GO IN THAT DIFF.!!!! i am a long time honda tech and these diffs are very complex and extremely sensitive to what fluid goes in them.a new diff for that is about $3k to replace, so i'd make sure it has the right stuff in it. there seems to be a misconception with vtm4 that since it is red/pink it is atf IT IS NOT AND SHOULD NEVER HAVE ATF IN IT!

Last edited:
The BG synchro shift is not ATF fluid. Its is listed as: BG Syncro Shift® II
BG Syncro Shift® II is a gear lubricant specially formulated for front wheel drive manual transmissions. It does not sacrifice any performance as does engine oil, ATF or conventional gear oil. It provides required thermal stability, low-temperature fluidity, hot rattle suppression, noise dampening at operating temperature, outstanding extreme pressure characteristics, shear stability, smoother shifting characteristics, wear reduction (synchronizer, gears, bearings, shift fork), seal compatibility, and reduced maintenance costs.
Part No. 792 32 oz. (946 mL) bottle. Per the BG website.

I'm still interested in anyones experience with it. Thanks for the quick replys.

Originally Posted By: NilesW
The BG synchro shift is not ATF fluid. Its is listed as: BG Syncro Shift® II
BG Syncro Shift® II is a gear lubricant specially formulated for front wheel drive manual transmissions. It does not sacrifice any performance as does engine oil, ATF or conventional gear oil. It provides required thermal stability, low-temperature fluidity, hot rattle suppression, noise dampening at operating temperature, outstanding extreme pressure characteristics, shear stability, smoother shifting characteristics, wear reduction (synchronizer, gears, bearings, shift fork), seal compatibility, and reduced maintenance costs.
Part No. 792 32 oz. (946 mL) bottle. Per the BG website.

I'm still interested in anyones experience with it. Thanks for the quick replys.

your diff does not take gear fluid, it is a very thin red fluid, get that [censored] out now! it WILL ruin your diff!what i was saying about the atf is the honda vtm4 fluid looks similar to atf so many people think thats what it is.

Last edited:
Quote:
BG is very popular with dealers, yes. Honda would not use this in a vehicle under warranty unless it met or surpassed their requirements.

Dealers wil do anything to increase profits.

Does the BG product state that it meets or exceeds HONDA VTM4 Fluid?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Does the BG product state that it meets or exceeds HONDA VTM4 Fluid?

This is a good question. I'd ask BG if they could be contacted by phone or email.

Seems like a synchromesh MTF similar to Amsoil's or Honda Genuine Type-II MTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back