Top Dog V vs Amsoil dual remote setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks! I'm averaging close to 30K miles a year on my 2004 Ram. I got 117 miles on it and it's still running like a charm. I want to keep it forever and reduce/slow down wear . I've been searching here and googling. I don't want to do any experimenting but want something that's more or less plug and play. Does anyone have any experience with the Top Dog V setup? Any disadvantages I should be weary about? Any info appreciated. Their web page hypes it for minimizing parasitic loss. I assume that would also apply to the Amsoil dual setup?

Is there much benefit to installing a by-pass system on an engine with 117K miles?

Edit: I just read my post and it sounded a little off. I'm not questioning your choice. I'm honestly asking about the benefits.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Hi.

It can't hurt, but I am hard pressed to believe that normal consumers would stand to reap the full benefits of such systems. But like I said, it can't hurt.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Is there much benefit to installing a by-pass system on an engine with 117K miles?

Edit: I just read my post and it sounded a little off. I'm not questioning your choice. I'm honestly asking about the benefits.
smile.gif

No offense taken. The engine is running like new. So I figure there isn't substantial wear yet. I figure a little overkill will keep it that way for longer. At the rate I'm going in ten years I may have over 400K plus on it.

Like dtt004 said, I don't think there is much benefit to be had. IMO, get yourself an air filter minder (restriction gauge), and only change the filter when the gauge shows enough restriction. The air filter is the most important filter on an engine. And, they filter out finer and finer particles the longer they are in service.

Originally Posted By: dtt004
Hi.

It can't hurt, but I am hard pressed to believe that normal consumers would stand to reap the full benefits of such systems. But like I said, it can't hurt.

If he intends to keep it for a long time (as indicated in his later post), he actually might see some benefit from a quality bypass. But you are correct, the average car owner wouldn't see any benefit in their 100k ownership.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
How much is the TopDog, and what is its specifications? How much are replacement filters?

Cummins or Hemi?

Hemi. TopDogV is $190. Not sure how much the filters are but I've seen pics of Amsoil filters being used on them.

Amsoil has one of the best spin-on bypass filters, so assuming you use them on either mount...that cost is equal.

Are you doing a bypass or the dual-remote with the full-flow and bypass?

I know nothing about Top Dog. Can you post a link?

I'd never use the Amsoil dual unit. In order to get a pressure drop to get flow through the bypass element, they put a restriction in the full flow line. This reduces some of the oil that goes to the engine. The Amsoil filter is excellent, but I'd use only the single Amsoil bypass filter returning to a low pressure point on the engine (valve cover, sump, etc) and stick with the regular full flow filter.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
Amsoil has one of the best spin-on bypass filters, so assuming you use them on either mount...that cost is equal.

Are you doing a bypass or the dual-remote with the full-flow and bypass?

Sure, he it is.

Top Dog installation video

From website:
Quote:
As oil travels from the oil pump into the TopDog V system adapter, it splits into two streams. The main stream, about 90 to 95% of the oil, goes directly into and through the full-flow filter, ensuring that the engine has a constant and adequate volume of oil flowing into it at all times.

A smaller stream is diverted directly into the bypass filter, where it is slowly and thoroughly cleaned to the 2 micron level. It then rejoins the oil exiting the full-flow filter, where the combined stream now goes directly into the engine.

This elegant design eliminates parasitic oil flow side-streaming, providing 100% of the oil flow to the engine without that parasitic oil flow required by other systems

More info click here

For the guy that said he won't use the Amsoil system because of the pressure differential it creates, the Top Dog V works the same way. How else do you expect them to get the oil to flow though a rather restrictive bypass filter?

As for just redirecting about 5% of the flow and dumping it back in a low pressure area, that seems to work fine. I've always been concerned about taking some of the oil volume that way, however guys who run aftermarket turbos siphon off some oil for the turbo in the same manner, and nobody seems to really car. If its true what people say about most oil pumps on cars bypassing some oil, then siphoning a small amount off might not change a thing.

The oil pump has a pressure control valve that shunts oil back to the sump to avoid excessive pressure at high rpm or when the oil is very cold. (I'm avoiding calling it a bypass valve, 'cuz although that's what it does, other gadgets are also called bypass valves--let's maximize clarity.)

The oil pump's pressure control valve expects to react to the resistance to flow of the oil system including the OEM filter. Any additional resistance to flow will cause the pressure control valve to dump more oil back to the sump than it otherwise would. The pressure control valve is sensing the oil pressure at the oil pump outlet (before the filters), not at the inlet to the bearings (which is after the filters and where you'd really like it, but too complicated for cars).

This is my beef with any of the dual full flow & bypass filter assemblies. The bypass filter by its design will have a very high resistance to flow. That's the only way it can filter than fine. No problem, and let it discharge 5% or 10% of the oil pump's output back to the sump. I do not like additional resistance built into the outlet of the full flow filter so the actual oil pressure going to the engine is low enough that the highly restrictive bypass filter can put its oil into the system.

I've heard several people express concerns over the Amsoil Dual Remote Bypass filter, but I've been using it in my '03 Honda S2000 for over 7 years and over 170,000 miles with no problems.

Admittedly I was concerned when I initially installed it, so I also installed an oil pressure gauge. My gauge reads pressure after the filter, so I know that I'm getting adequate flow. I've hand no problems with the setup, and my car still runs like new.

Thanks for the heads up on Top Dog...I was thinking about the Amsoil BP, but TD is cheaper and looks so easy to install.
Anyone know what BP filter they use? Baldwin perhaps?
Thanks!

Hmmm, interesting. Might get one. It might not seems to be beneficial for older car, like mine, but might be beneficial for sludge monster, again like my car. Also if I got it right you can buy separate adapter for specific car. So for example if I bought new car, I can take off Dog system from old car,and install it on my new car with new adapter. It also looks like it uses your stock filter and Amsoil bypass. Here is some links:
http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/1009or_bypass_filtration_made_easy_topdog_v/photo_01.html
Adapter http://paretopoint.com/item--Oil-Axis--oil_axis.html
magnets could be added for $30.
Seems interesting and easy to install, they also have interesting easy oil change kit.

Looks like you would only have to get a new hold down nut if you changed vehicles to one that had a similar size filter but a different thread, otherwise, everything else would fit.

I'd think that adding a BP on a higher mileage car would reduce wear, maybe you wouldn't get your money back as in a newer car, but if you can move it to your new car, why not?

^ that's exactly what I thought,plus old car may survive longer,the longer you keep your old car(paid off car),the more it saves money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back