Fram factory in Stratford, Ontario closing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Audioquest
This was announced yesterday. The Fram plant is the oldest standing factory in Stratford and employs 300 people.

Clicky

Heard about this on the radio.
Right down the street from where I work. (In Stratford)

I found this interesting:

"The Stratford plant has produced oil, air and fuel filters for Honda, Siemens, Tennex, Canadian Tire, John Deere, Jiffy and Pennzoil."

So, the CT filters that were Fram, then not-Fram-China-made, will go to being Fram-China-made (I'm guessing)!

I wonder if they will be moving all production over to China?

This is really disappointing, as I don't think there are any made-in-Canada filters now - am I right?

Last edited:
Well now, the only reason to buy FRAM filters (being made in Canada) is now gone.

Looks like I'll be sourcing OEM or German air filters for the Expedition now.

“When the company was purchased some time ago by Rank we had a discussion with the officials based in the U.S. and they assured us that the Stratford facility was a very productive and efficient one and they were quite happy to have it in the family of their companies. We took that to be a very good and strong sign for the future of that facility,”

This is typical US business behaviour. Whenever there's a takeover and the new company says things like the above, they ALWAYS mean "start looking for a new job tomorrow". This is just another in the long list of reasons I will never use FRAM products again.

The Fram plant is the oldest standing factory in Stratford and employs 300 people.

This should make the FRAM-bashers happy.

Personally I'll take a functional filter made in a developed country at a slightly higher price than the same filter, same price but made in a developing market. In other words, it sucks that this plant is closing even if the products it made weren't the top of the line filters sold at rock bottom prices.
21.gif

Not that it really made much difference to me, all the filters I ever found in orange boxes for my TDIs were made in Bulgaria or India... happily sticking with my stock of German or US made Hengst & Bosch filters.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
The Fram plant is the oldest standing factory in Stratford and employs 300 people.

This should make the FRAM-bashers happy.

I hope this doesn't make anyone happpy. Lots of people will lose their jobs.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

This is really disappointing, as I don't think there are any made-in-Canada filters now - am I right?

The was a large factory in Cambridge ON that made oil filters for different brands. They moved to Mexico 4 years ago; 4 management person for offered positions if they moved, Not sure how many took the offer...

I walked through the factory after they moved out. Somme office fixtures were given away to whoever wanted them.

Here the story from 2006: Pete C right on top...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=356784

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I saw the news on Dailyjobcuts.com and I'm really not surprised they simply want (need) a bigger profit margin on every item made.

Scary, considering what they save by using cardboard instead of metal in their oil filters.

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
I hope this doesn't make anyone happpy. Lots of people will lose their jobs.

+1
...And there are no jobs to replace them with the depression on.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
“When the company was purchased some time ago by Rank we had a discussion with the officials based in the U.S. and they assured us that the Stratford facility was a very productive and efficient one and they were quite happy to have it in the family of their companies. We took that to be a very good and strong sign for the future of that facility,”

This is typical US business behaviour. Whenever there's a takeover and the new company says things like the above, they ALWAYS mean "start looking for a new job tomorrow". This is just another in the long list of reasons I will never use FRAM products again.

Boy, you aren't kidding! I heard that same line of [censored] about one year before I lost the best job I ever had.

I'm not a Fram user, but I sure wouldn't wish a plant closure on anyone!

It doesn't make sense to move to China when your production is almost entirely automated. But then again, our technology and investment went to China from America to create wealth over there. The demand for Fram filters will primarily be in that newly created market of consumers who were essentially peasants about 15 yrs ago.

The Chinese workers make $200 per month so they aren't getting rich. The Chinese factories work on a 5% profit margin, so they aren't getting rich. The companies that buy the output and sell it are getting rich. I wish I was one of them...
smirk.gif
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
The Chinese workers make $200 per month so they aren't getting rich. The Chinese factories work on a 5% profit margin, so they aren't getting rich. The companies that buy the output and sell it are getting rich. I wish I was one of them...
smirk.gif
smirk.gif

Somebody is getting rich over there. China went from a country with very few roads 10+ years ago to one that is just shy of the USA's total miles of interstate. Ford, GM, etc are building factories over there meet the demand for cars in China.

Originally Posted By: modularv8

Somebody is getting rich over there. China went from a country with very few roads 10+ years ago to one that is just shy of the USA's total miles of interstate. Ford, GM, etc are building factories over there meet the demand for cars in China.

An economy can grow from within with good economic policies; that's what the Chinese have done. They may have created the perfect economic machine; a free-enterprise economy with a communist head. No demagoguery, or politicians trying to get re-elected and mess with what needs to get done. India has also grown their economy and has done so with very little exports.

Unless I missed something I didn't see where they said any production was moving to China. I don't know that we should assume that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back