Oil for an 06 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil should I use that has the proper zinc content for the 4.0L? It has 111,965 on the ticker, I've used Casteral GTX 10W-30 from '06 to '10 then switched to Rotella T 10W-30 for the past year. With all the talk of premature wear within the 4.0L, I'd like to know what oil should I be using, Diesel or gas engine oil.

Thanks!

If you like it, and can get it easily, keep using the Rotella 10W-30. Excellent oil for the Jeep I-6.

I've experience with many 4.0 Jeep engines, and aside from an intial break in with a higher level of zddp oil, a pcmo will work just fine protecting the cam lobes. The spring tension in these engines is relatively low, and I've yet to see premature wear from using todays lower zddp level oils. Many of these engines have had over 250-300k miles on regular dino, and the cams are fine. If it makes you feel better using a higher zddp oil, by all means use it, but I can't see it being a necessity.

Ran Amsoil in my 06 Rubicon.

We pulled the oil pump gear out and the top end apart to see how the oil was handling engine wear and build up and almost no wear and the motor was spotless. The UOA's came back fine even after towing.

The stock cooling system was not all that great but than again it is not designed for towing. I towed 3 motorcycle with the Rubicon cross county regularly.

6 qts. Of Mobil 1 TDT (5-40) on a mobil, K&N, or Wix filter should work very well for your application as well. *Jeep Wave*

-A

Thanks Guys, I was just wondering about the zinc levels that's all. See around the forum! Army_Guy " Jeep Wave " back at ya! Thanks for serving!

there is 2 my favore oil choice when it come for 4.0L jeep engine

Mobil 1 10w30 High miles ( very high ZDDP )

Rotella ( spell check ) T6 5w40

and FL1A motocraft oil filter is my choice also ^^

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
one last thing, dint they reduce the need of zddp on newest 4.0l I6 engine ?

Don't know, Thought they were all the same, anyone else know if that's true?

Originally Posted By: Silvanus
one last thing, dint they reduce the need of zddp on newest 4.0l I6 engine ?

Don't know, Thought they were all the same, anyone else know if that's true?

There were no significant internal changes to the 4.0 from about 1996 (or whenever it got the main cap girdle- I forget the exact year) to the end. Externally it got distributorless ignition and some manifold changes, but it always had flat tappets. That said, it NEVER really needed much ZDDP. Its a low-revving engine built for off-idle torque, with the result that it just can't breathe much above 4000 RPM, so its got very light valve springs with low seat pressures (and low open pressures for that matter). So its cam lobes never see the kind of point loading than a muscle car with nearly .6" of lift at the cam, huge ramp rates, and lots of duration would see. If its past break-in, you're not likely to hurt it with any generic SN motor oil.

It does seem to work very, very well with 40-weight oils, even though the book recommends Xw30, so a whole bunch of people run RT6 5w40, including me.

The Chrysler 4.0 I6 is a fantastic engine.

While it does not "need" the most expensive oil. I would stick with the Rotella. It it a good price, and it is an equally fantastic oil.

I heard these engine take alot abuse and still alive.

They take a lot of abuse without even turning into oil burners. They are amazing. Last time I bought a jug of T6 it was around $22, but then I don't really track how much oil costs. Even if I bought Redline for every car every change, oil still wouldn't be the dominant factor in the cost of owning a car. Or even close to dominant.

I'm very partial to the T3 Rotella in 10w30, much less than T-6 and it's still great stuff. The T5 is a good compromise as well, it's a blend with better flow properties than T3 but still $4 less a jug at Wally's than T6.

Since the 4.0 is well known for leaks, I've never been keen on putting a full syn in it.

The 4.0 is one of the most Durable engines Ive ever had the delight of starting and driving. I have 4 of them, all running and driving, in my possesion. my 87 has 291,+++ hard driven miles on it, and dosent burn more that a quart in 7,000 miles(my usual OCI). My 96(which Is the 1st year of the main bearing Girdle) has 248,??? miles on it and is as smooth as silk, and burns quart or less in a 7,000 mile OCI as well. My 99 is another story. It didnt burn any oil, amazingly, in 5,+++ miles I drove it with a egg shaped hole made in the piston by the wrist pin of Cylinder #2 with a seized upper Compression ring, and seriously worn piston skirt. Micro specs told me that only 3 thousandths out of normal wear occured. So ball hone with new standard size Speed Pro pistons are getting pressed onto old rods, with Hastings cast rings awaiting assembly. The 24 hours of Dremel porting to all 12 valve Bowls and Intake runners will hopefully pay off with some even quicker acceleration in this 2 wheel drive Cherokee. My Beloved SilverStone Metallic 01 Cherokee has 64,??? miles on it, and dosent burn, or leak anything. Though I do watch the Coolant level in this Jeep, as the 0331 cylinder heads can crack between #3 and 34 exaust ports, and leak coolant into the oil. Looking thru the oil fill cap will show you exactly where the crack would be.

I'm considering running a 5w40 or 0w40 synthetic in mine next summer. Right now I'm using "supertech" synthetic 5w30. No odd noises, runs great and hasn't lost a drop in 3000 miles.

Only thing that kind of worries me is when I'm off road and the engine gets up to 220 or so. Oil pressure at idle is around 19-20. Still doesn't make any noises and it's happy.

Going to try to make it until November on this oil and then switch in a 0w-30 for winter.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
The Chrysler 4.0 I6 is a fantastic engine.

While it does not "need" the most expensive oil. I would stick with the Rotella. It it a good price, and it is an equally fantastic oil.

The 4.0 is an evolution of the AMX Six, not a chrysler engine. The newer wranglers have a chrysler engine - lack of power and they spin main bearings. Typical Chrysler garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back