Michelin LTX M/S2 vs Cross Terrain SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one of the two in the title would you choose for the following driving conditions:

2002-2003 Honda Pilot, mostly easy city streets rarely go to highway(90%/10% city/hwy), never tow anything and never go off road, once or twice a year may carrying 200-300 lbs in the trunk. Weather in So Cal near the beach so no snow nor ice. Once every 3-4 years may go to mountain in winter to touch/see snows.

According to Tirerack, Michelin LTX M/S2 costs less with longer tread life and better at every category in customer survey, the only negative is weight, it is 5 lbs heavier.

Personally, I would choose LTX M/S2 over Cross Terrain SUV. But my neighbor went to Honda dealer and they paid $1200 OTD for 4 Cross Terrain SUV replacing the lousy Goodyear Integrity they bought from the same dealer 3 years ago. I told them a while ago that when they need tires I will recommend a good set of tires at reasonable price for their driving condition, but they think Honda dealer knows better. Too bad, they have money but not much gray matters in their head.

I think I'd also get the LTX 2, but probably because of the snow. In CA I might prefer the smoother ride of the cross terrains.

Either way, the Integrity (also OEM on the Highlander) is a horrible (but quiet) tire so it's a huge upgrade for them.

Don't know much about the Cross Terrain, but do have the LTX M/S2 on an '04 Sierra pickup and they are excellent. Smooth, great in rain, handle quite well, seem to be good MPG wise, and actually pretty decent despite the not so agressive tread and just a 2WD truck w/ a locker on a muddy clay road here in the south.

If you ever get to compare them the LTX's are a terrific tire. They last so long that they are actually cheaper per mile, and they are super smooth riding and quiet.

I have the Cross Terrain SUV on a near identical car (2005 Acura MDX) and they're FANTASTIC tires. Probably one of the best tires you can put on an SUV. Their tread pattern is very much like the LTX M/S, but they have a smoother sidewall for a better ride. They're also pretty fuel efficient and come with a 65,000 mile warranty. I highly recommend them.

IMG_5411.JPG

IMG_5849.JPG

IMG_5417.JPG

Another vote for M/S2. I've ran on the original M/S, and some OE Cross Terrains. I weren't impressed with the Cross Terrains at all -- based on all the hype. Mine were OE, so that could make a difference.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Another vote for M/S2. I've ran on the original M/S, and some OE Cross Terrains. I weren't impressed with the Cross Terrains at all -- based on all the hype. Mine were OE, so that could make a difference.

I think it does, depending on size. I have two OE Cross Terrains. The 235/65R17 that came as OE on our Acura. And the Honda has Cross Terrains in P225/65R17, and that size came as OE on the Ford Escape. On the Acura, they hold the road like glue and have tenacious winter traction. On the Honda, they slide easily in quick cornering.

No experience with LTX.

We've been impressed with the Cross Terrains on our Explorer. Oem size 235/65R18. Got about 26,000 miles on them now, not showing much wear. I expect 60,000+ miles from them. Remember alignment is key to tread life.

They are quiet, smooth, haven't needed balancing since new and have good grip. They are a little pricey though, around $220/tire for our size so they have to last awhile to make them worth it. But they are proven and I'd hate to try something different and be unhappy.

I would write the same thing for a set of Bridgestone Dueler H/L's on our previous Explorer. May want to give those a look.

I had great luck with Cross Terrains. After multiple other sets of tires I found the cross terrains, ran four sets of 4, about 40K each, which for me is very good. Great grip in every direction, silent, long wearing, good in rain.

These were OE size on two Tundra's. I think they were 265/65/17?

Originally Posted By: stranger706

I would write the same thing for a set of Bridgestone Dueler H/L's on our previous Explorer. May want to give those a look.

Those are supposed to be a very good tire. I once had a set of OEM Dueler H/Ts on a Saturn VUE OTOH and they were the worst tires ever.

The Firestone Destination LE is another really good BFS product but doesn't have the treadlife of an LTX or the H/L.

The LTX M/S 2 tires are a huge improvement in the quite ride category over the old Michelin LTX M/S. They also give a softer ride than the old LTX M/S as well. I tried other tires but never again. These are really good!

You also need to remember to check pressures after install, some places put too much air, resulting in a harsher ride. 30-32 psi is optimal for most passenger vehicle applications; the shops will routinely inflate to 35+ psi, for liability purposes, IMHO.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Our 3500 Savana fleet vans ship with Bridgestones. Arrrgh is a good one word review.

'Nuff said.

I would agree with that comment but without an exact model of tire that doesnt mean much.

Even the same model tire can vary widely with OEM specs and aftermarket.

I loved my dueler revos.. amazing tire.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Our 3500 Savana fleet vans ship with Bridgestones. Arrrgh is a good one word review.

'Nuff said.

I would agree with that comment but without an exact model of tire that doesnt mean much.

Even the same model tire can vary widely with OEM specs and aftermarket.

I loved my dueler revos.. amazing tire.

If they're the same as our 2006 2500HD, they are the Bridgestone Duravis M773 II tires. Pieces of junk.

Originally Posted By: moklock

The Firestone Destination LE is another really good BFS product but doesn't have the treadlife of an LTX or the H/L.

I would actually have to disagree with you on treadlife. I have no experience with the LTX M+S2 tires but I do with the original LTX M+S, the H/L Alenza's( I assume this is what you mean ), and the LE's. The LE's wear every bit as well as those other tires and they perform just as well for a LOT less money p/tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back