Tires for a 2007 Camry 4cyl??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering who out there has any experiences with this car and what tires really work for it. Currently on Dunlop SP5000 215/60/16 (H) with close to 40K miles. I've only had the car for about 5K miles now. There's some meat left, but not a whole lot. I want to change these out in the next two months or so, but especially before winter comes here in PA. Not totally unhappy with the Dunlops (stock from the factory), but I feel there are better choices out there.

The car is driven 95% highway. My needs in order of importance (to me):
1. All season capability (SNOW) (I won't be running dedicated snows this year anyway)
2. Quiteness
3. longevity
4. looks

I think I've narrowed it to:

1. Cooper CS4 (had them on my Merc.minivan and they were "ok" in the snow...nothing special)
2. Hancook 727 (top rated mileage and snow traction)
3. Michilin Primacy (at the bottom because of price)

I'm concerned that the Hancook don't come in "H" speed rating though....I like the "stiffness" of the Dunlops...they corner pretty well and NEVER squeel!!

What else am I missing? The Altimax weren't rated very well for winter traction, so they are out.

A co-worker has Conti's DWS on his Infinity, but has had 2 sidewall blowouts already. I think they have a pretty thin sidewall for that to happen (they were pot-hole induced though)

Last edited:
Either Hankook H727 or Pirelli P4 Four Seasons will meet your needs of all season capability, quietness and longevity at reasonable price.

If you're not an aggressive driver that take on ramp at very high speed or not driving above 110-120 mph, you may not need H speed tires. To compensate for soft sidewall you may like to pump the pressure up 4-6 PSI above recommended on placard.

The WR G2 might not be a bad idea for Berks County - I lived there until last summer, and the last few years have had one or two big snow events. They usually get the main roads cleared pretty quickly (a far sight faster than Michigan, anyway) but you can probably count on at least five to ten days a year of driving through fresh snow.

If you are not too hung up on the speed rating, the Michelin Harmony is a great tire, quiet and good in the snow. I have the Primacy on my car right now and it has a harder ride and less snow traction than the Harmony but is still a good tire.

CROWBAR,

Well, we have several sets of 4 Hankook Optimo H727's tires in our circle, '04 Camry LE 4cyl, '01 Honda CR-V and '06 Mazda3. All are did well this past winter. And yes, they are good in the snow and quiet but only "T" rated. The handling is actually vehicle dependant. The Camry is a Camry, the CR-V is AWD and the Mazda3 handles well anyway. So, it's hard to tell if handling is all that nessessary on a Camry or just how much difference the tire really makes.

The '04 Camry LE uses in the winter time, the stock steel wheels w/205-65-15 Hankook Optimo H727 and in the summer, aluminum wheels w/215-60-16 "H" rated Definity's from PebBoys(which will also be changed to the 215-60-16 H727 next time around). The Hankooks change the charactor of the car. Nicer, IMHO even though they're only "T"'s! Nicer for everyday type driving but the Definity "H" were a bit harsh over ruts and cracks. Other "H" rated tires my do better.

I personaly have Pirelli P4's "T" rated on my Altima 2.5 S 4 cyl and like'em very much as well, snow and all! Handle great for a "T" rated tire so, an "H" isn't needed IMHO. Actually, the "T" P4's handle better than some "H" rated tire that I have had in the past. Moving up to an "H" in the P4's may be too harsh of a ride as the "T" are borderline harsh during the winter/really cold temps only. Warm temps, they're fine.

And although the P4's do well in the snow and seem as good in the snow/ice as the H727's, we really can't say that the Hankooks are better in the snow than the Pirelli's as they're both very good even though the Hankook Optimo H727 rate better in snow/ice than the Pirelli P4's. And too, they're all on different vehicles so, it's a hard call. The H727 and P4 are both quiet from our experiences. Ahhhh, you know, the H727's may(may) have an edge.

The Cooper CS4's also show to be a very good tire for snow/ice and the reviews are very good overall in most catigories. Our friends with a Chrysler LHS love the CS4's and are using 225-55-17's year'round. Smooth/quiet good hydroplaining risistance, NO COMPLAINTS!

One car in our circle('07 Scion tC) has Conti DSW's but too new to tell anything yet!

Consumer Reports tested tires in the 215-60-16 size and rated quite highly, all of the tires that the OP(CROWBAR) mentioned. It's a difficult choice but, here is my personal opinion...

Snow: Any of 'em with the H727 having an edge in the ratings.

Quietness: H727 but, none of 'em are noisy!

Longevity: H727 having the edge(100K miles) but the tires mentioned all have at least 80K mile rating.

Looks: Hankook H727 and Cooper CS4 on sidewall and tread design. And you can't beat Michelin's look on any of their tires but, price is a factor. The P4's sidewall are very plain looking and the tread design(except for the rain grooves) don't look like they're too agressive but this is very deceiving. It's this tread design that allows the P4's to do so well along with the sidewall stiffness for handling.

If 95% highway is the norm of the OP's driving, the H727 would be my personal choice because the "T" rated handling doesn't suck. Other tires may handle better though and I can't answer for that. According to CR Mag, the Cooper CS4 "H" didn't really score any higher in the handling catigory than the CS4 "T" or the H727 "T". The "H" may only feel better though! It's a tough call.

Look at the Tire Rack Customer Reviews and Consumer Reports Magazine ratings to see if there is any other catigory of importants that may help to narrow down or finalize your decision...Wet braking for example!

Good Luck,
CB

Last edited:
I'd also like to add that I agree with HTSS_TR's comments about the "H" vs "T" and the add a few lbs of air to compensate for a nice ride/handling combo. I like to tweek my ride/handling combo by adding or taking away a few lbs of air. A little more here, a little less there...Nothing drastic!

I often like to add a 2 lbs over the place cards spec for the front tires and a 2 lbs less than spec in the rear. If I am traveling on a long distance vacation by car, this all changes, with a few more lbs in the rear to compensate for luggage & passengers.

I have in the past, altered one side of the car tires PSI if I am always traveling in one particular lane on the highway...The one that leans most toward the drainage, I'll add a bit more air to that side(F&R) if I am always in that lane or if I am driving a car like a Camry that's a real leaner. But, that's too much playing around!

Last edited:
Dad has an 07 Camry I4 that came with Michelins. He loves the CS4's. Quiet and excellent wear after 27k miles. This is the T rated version which is an 80k tire instead of I think 60k with the higher speed rating(H). Dad has joked about swapping these tires with the new Camry he will be buying in a few months. He never really talked about tires at all before these puppies.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Char Baby, are you still high on the Kumho KR21's, or are the tires you mention better than those?

Yeah, although I don't own them myself due to them always being on backorder when I was ready to buy tires, I've introduced the KR-21's to many friends/family(which I call my "CIRCLE") and thus far, they all love'em and the tires are doing well for them in all catigories. Longevity still remains to be seen in our circle as no one really has piled on the miles in the ~ 2-3 years that they have had them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: bepperb
Char Baby, are you still high on the Kumho KR21's, or are the tires you mention better than those?

Yeah, although I don't own them myself due to them always being on backorder when I was ready to buy tires, I've introduced the KR-21's to many friends/family(which I call my "CIRCLE") and thus far, they all love'em and the tires are doing well for them in all catigories. Longevity still remains to be seen in our circle as no one really has piled on the miles in the ~ 2-3 years that they have had them.

Also, some in our group have just recently purchaced the KR-21.
These tires are loved mainly for their price but they have turned out better than expected considering their purchace price.

And too, many Michelin tire owners have liked the KR-21's(especially for the price) as well as many owners or other X brand tires.

Many of the tires that I currently speak of here are not "Life Altering Change" tires, they just do what they're supposed to for the money and typicaly w/o issues. They balance well, track straight and handle foul weather nicely. Sometimes when I speak to others about tires and then they buy'em, I think that they were expecting their Ford to turn into a Lincoln, or turn they're sports car into a Porsche...

In regards to the KR21, I didn't mean to hijack the original post, but those are by far the cheapest tires and I just need something to get the Highlander though the winter (will need a minivan next spring/summer for third kid). And I know you like them and was surprised you didn't mention them.

My feeling about sedan tires for four seasons.... it's always a tradeoff between performance, quiet, price, and snow traction. I have BFG Advantage TA's on now, and they are quiet and cheap, handle well and the price is right. The snow performance is average. But I'll probably go back because I love the tire center at our Sams club. I think the advantage to some other tires would be better snow and better at-the-limit performance. And really, the difference would probably be lost on me.

The Hankooks certainly get great reviews. I always consider the CS4's, but they're expensive around here. I don't spend the money on Michelins... and I was finally going to for our aformentioned highlander (ltx 2's) but now we need seating for one more.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong. My parents have a 2010 Camry and I'd recommend any of the tires you're considering to them.

Last edited:
bepperp,

I didn't mention the KR-21's in this post because I was trying to stay with the OP's(CROWBAR) criteria and specificaly, the tires that the CROBAR listed. But, you know me? I ramble on and on!

A very good friend of ours has the KR-21's on their '07 Honda Pilot AWD SUV(~4300lbs) and the tires are doing well but, they don't rotate often and only time will tell if the KR-21 will give them long service. The largest complaints from owners of the KR-21's is their failing to get close to Kumho's rating or 80K miles. On our friends Pilot, it doesn't quite look that way. But, in the defence of the KR-21's, when the tires were installed, they balanced well with few wgts, stayed balanced longer over time, track well on the hiwy, corner decently, throw water out from beneath them quite well(hydroplaining resistance), smooth/quiet, are wearing evenly and with no noticable MPG differences(gain or loss). Just a nice tire!

Of those in our circle running KR-21's, none are complaining about MPG losses. There are also those in our circle that don't know anything about vehicles/tires/parts, and when we don't hear them complaining about things, this is good! When they do complain, it's time to listen because these folks aren't really fussy about much, don't pay attention to things like MPG until it's really bad or tires unless they really wareout fast. A little noise doesn't really bother them nor does a little shaking. Nothing to these folks is measured in miles only time.

These are the "I don't know" people! Every time you ask them something, they don't know. I'll ask, "when did you buy that?", and their responce is, "I don't remember". Or, how long has this been going on?" and they say, "I don't know" Gotta love'em!

And as far as the BFG Touring T/A's, if you like'em and you can get them again for a good price, stick with'em. I'll always tell people that! The BFG TourT/A's have always been a solid tire in all areas especially in customer reviews even if their rating/score has lowered. Any tire will drop in the ratings as newer tires come to market. I know/knew folks that loved them and they were everything you mentioned.

And always keep in mind, even the highest rated/scoring tire will have some folks complaining or give lower reviews. And some of the worst tires will reveive great reviews. I try to listen and weed through it all.

When I search for tire reviews from those who own them, I target those with, similar vehicles and climate. Coinsidently, I have been fortunate and reading reviews from folks with the exact vehilce and snowy climate.

Lately, I have been buying tires based on reviews and perosonal criteria. I don't always pick the #1 tire in a test or catigory if it doesn't meet my whole criteria for foul weather. And we have plenty of bad weather.

I already know that "any" tire will roll down the road nicely and quietly on a perfect day especially when they're new. But, what I really want to know is, a tires personality/charactor on those terrable days of rain soaked roads and 8" of snow and patches of ice.

The KR-21's will certainly get your Highlander through the winer
smile.gif

Last edited:
My edit timed out and I wanted to add that, as I mentioned, the KR-21's will do fine in the winter but the T/A's show to be just slightly better in the snow.

And also, of all the tires I have ever mentioned here at Bob's, we in our circle really like our choices of tires for their all-season capabilities though many of them don't rate well for snow by Consumer Reports but, we're not having any problems in the winter!

I'm not talking about climbing snow banks or that one really bad BLIZZARD that's mentioned on the national news, just regular winter driving, snow/ice/slush/wind. And we live on Lake Ontario! I'm assuming that Milwaukee would be similar or worst.

Last edited:
I have the Michelin Primacy on my Accord. I have about 40k miles on them (original Michelins latest 50k miles). They are good tires and I would/will get them again.

I get all my tires at Costco. They are regularly running rebates/savings on Michelins.

Over the past 25 years I have had Yokohama, Toyo, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Goodyear and Michelins. I have never had any problems with Michelin. They seem to hold air better (less need to fill) and never had any failures. At this point I only buy Michelins and wish I did earlier. They are a little more expensive but in my opinion well worth the cost.

Originally Posted By: Cardinal49
I have the Michelin Primacy on my Accord. I have about 40k miles on them (original Michelins latest 50k miles). They are good tires and I would/will get them again.

I get all my tires at Costco. They are regularly running rebates/savings on Michelins.

Over the past 25 years I have had Yokohama, Toyo, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Goodyear and Michelins. I have never had any problems with Michelin. They seem to hold air better (less need to fill) and never had any failures. At this point I only buy Michelins and wish I did earlier. They are a little more expensive but in my opinion well worth the cost.

The only time that I have ever had Michelin tires is on new vehicles or cars that I bought that had'em. I like them too! I don't have anything bad to say about Michelin Tires and you'll never here me say that I have.

I will get Michelin tires again but I always seem to miss the $70 rebates as I don't usually need tires for about 4-5 years once I buy tires. I introduced my neice to Michelin for her Civic and she loves'em(HydroEdge). But, this is her only car. I have several vehicles so, I try to stretch the dollar a bit further and my wife and I aren't doing as much traveling as we once did. I hope this will change
smile.gif

And to add, I beleive that with some research and reading the reviews and test scores of tires that, a person can find tires that will rival Michelin for less money. If you not into reading reviews or doing research, then buying Michelin tires takes out all the worry of, "gee, did I buy the right tires?" When you buy Michelin's, you know that your getting quality, IMHO! I prefer to do the research and see if I can get good/great tires for less money.

And I too know of people that just run out to their favorite local tire store and have them slap on 4 Michelin tires for $800-$1000 and drive off.

Last edited:
Well, I suppose I need to re-visit this one...

Turns out I need a "V" rated tire, so there's no way I'm going down to a "T" rated tire such as the Hancook.

It looks like my options are for a 215/60/16:

CS4- quoted $120 per tire installed by local dealer that I've been going to fr years.

or

Yokohama Avid ENvigor. At the Tire Rack, they are $95 each and $43 for shipping 4...but then there is a rebate of $40 on 4, so shipping is pretty much free. I imagine that it would be about $20 for mounting and balancing, so I'm looking at about the same cost.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these on a Camry??

I really want to stick with the "V" rating....the stock Dunlop 5000's are really pretty good in the dry and the rain and make the car handle much better than anything I've driven to date (in a family car), but are at the end of their life at 38,000 miles. Not bad for an OEM tire that has a "160" treadwear rating!

Honestly, if you were happy with the Dunlops, I'd half suggest sticking with those. That tire is not normally a top-rated tire, but if you have direct experience with them that is better than anything else you've tried, that sounds like a reasonable solution, especially if they're priced right (I don't know what you could get them for).

The Cooper CS4 would be a solid choice. Some with that tire note a small amount of squirminess, but I think that's on the T-rated tire only, and not on the H- and V-rated ones. The Yokohamas would be a nice choice, but not if you have to drive in winter. Yokohama in general, and the Avid ENVigors are no exception, are generally very good 3-season tires but very poor 4-season tires. Get these only if you don't get snow or have winter tires.

A good do-it-all tire is the Michelin Primacy MXV4, although it'll be more expensive than either of the options you listed above.

I have been super impressed with the Pirelli P4's "T" rated ties on my '04 4 cyl Altima 2.5 S. These "T" rated tires handle better than some "H" rated tires that I have had in the past. The P4 "H" rated may rival some "V" rated tires in the handling catigory with out the harsh ride over ruts/cracks. IDK if the P4's are available in "V"'s!
And again, the P4's are a wonderful tire in the snow and ice. I think they're better in snow/ice than their test assumes(most owners would agree). Just another good choice of tire which is why I replied again...Same for the CS4's. Another good choice especially in snow/ice and since the OP(CROWBAR) doesn't want dedicated snow/ice tires.

I have driven through PA many times but, never in the snow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back