Tried E85 in my 09 F150 5.4L 4x4 super crew

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you guys know, I use E85 from time to time (not always).

My oil life calculator seems to reduce the oil life when I use E-85. Normally it goes exactly 7500 miles on gasoline. But recently it calculated the oil as 100% "used up" at 6100 miles (I was using E-85 quite a bit).

I did not perform a UOA (yeah, I know I should have). However, the oil was quite clean while draining. So much so, that I wondered if I should have left in in longer.

I'll do a UOA or 2 and see how the E-85 affects the Mobil 1 5W-20.

I just reviewed the entire thread.

Some things I want to clarify. E-85 is sold at a lower cost. The MPG's I achieve on E-85 result in near parity on cost per mile. In other words, the fuel costs me nothing to use.

I like it and the way it performs. I'll keep using it.

I live in South Florida. It's not likely I'll see "white sludge" and the related problems Northern users see. It's hot as hades down here and I don't have engine moisture issues.

The MPG's on E-85 really do "seem" to be more sensitive to driving technique. I can, if I am VERY careful, achieve near Gasoline MPG's. But that takes some serious effort and 55-60 MPH driving in 70 zones (not fun, but possible). If, however, I get on it a bunch, the MPG's go down into the single digits with ease (as predicted).

The remarkable difference in acceleration performance remains!

as do the remarkably toxic byproducts of its combustion. A lot of scary 'zenes' and other things left over after alcohol burns in a vehicle, and catalytic converters do nothing to help.

But a few more dead people a little sooner probably won't even be noticed.

BTW, I also used to spend a lot of time at the strip. Those alcohol cars ran HUGE fuel pumps and gigantic jets. And they constantly [censored] about their oil. Might be something there long term.

You guys keep testing it for us!

As one poster mentioned. Ive been around race cars a long long time. Although Methanol is different in some properties, I have seen injected, forged piston motors have issues running alcohol. I know on our baby big block chevy powered altered the oil is solid milk at the end of the race day after only ten runs, and thats on an eighth mile track. It can and does attract moisture, which can be a problem.

I know between getting the car into the lanes, doing a burn out, running down the eighth, and idling back to our pit which is very close to the end of the track, we burn 3 gallons a run. On gas it was less than half that.

Interestingly enough, I found an ethanol free 89oct pump at the Gate gas station in Jax, FL (on San Jose Rd) so I tried it. The F150 likes that too. I saw somewhere around 1MPG more on the trip home. Plus, the knock sensor likes the higher octane and the truck accelerates smoothly. On pump 87, the truck has very uneven acceleration due to the knock sensor pulling timing.

I'm fairly sure that the extra HP E85 provides is due to the ign timing being more advanced on this high compression engine. The Ethanol free also seemed to run stronger and I'll admit, Ethanol free had sharper throttle response too.

What's weird is that 89 and 93 octane fuels don't run better in this truck.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: getnpsi
Service your Ford with us more often =win
Don't change your oil per E85 suggestion and wear out your engine early=win
There is no E85 suggestion on my 2009 FX4 it has a OLM.

I have a 2010 F150 and it is clearly stated in the manual. Maybe it wasn't included in the 2009 manual.

I have an 05 Ford Explorer Flex-Fuel 4.0 SOHC and I run E85 a couple times a year when I travel. I usually lose around 2-3mpg but the Explorer is much more responsive when I run it, it makes the trips more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back