Adding Techron question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually buy my gas from a kum n go or sams club. Since Sams buys fuels from the cheapest bidder at the time and kum n go uses flint hills fuels, they aren't top tier listed. Is there any harm in adding a small amount of techron in each tank of gas to keep things clean lubricated? with the BOGO at AAP and previous use, I like techron alot. Probably make the 20oz bottle last 4 tankfuls. So about 5oz for 17 gallon tank each fill up. (usually put about 12 gallons in each fill up) Thoughts?

Of course you can do that. It will help to maintain cleanliness and some UCL properties from fill-up to fill-up. That is not only OK it is a good idea.

It isn't necessary of course and it can get expensive ie. you might as well use top tier between full techron treatments, but it won't hurt anything.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
It isn't necessary of course and it can get expensive ie. you might as well use top tier between full techron treatments, but it won't hurt anything.

Good point. Maybe I'll do it every other tank or something. Here sams is 10 cents cheaper than anywhere else in town and since I go through about 15-18 gallons a week. I heard that the techron is 100x more concentrated than the stuff they acutally put in their fuel. If thats the case then I shouldnt be needing to add a whole lot. Any truth to that?

techron has no UCL properties, period.

I personally prefer periodic "shock" treatments such as running a bottle of techron or shell v-power fuel treatment every 1/2 yr or so, instead of doing low dosages on every fill up.

Q.

Does anyone know how much Techron is in Chevron gas? I.e., if you fill up with 15 gallons of Chevron gas, how much Techron is on there compared to a 12 oz bottle of Techron?

I have this picture in my mind of some guy putting a 5 gallon bucket of additive to the 10,000 gallon tanker when it fills up at the refinery, so probably enough to make it legal, but not strong enough to notice a difference.

I bet there is less than 1oz per gallon in the gasoline concidering the full treatment in the bottle is 20oz for 20 gallons.

Originally Posted By: 229
I think it lowers your mpg. They only recommend it at oci mileages.

I've experienced nothing but MPG increases.

Techron and Redline SI-1 are both polyether amine (PEA) based cleaners, Redline recommends 3oz per 18gal for continual use. Not sure if Techron is designed for continual use, Redline does have some UCL additives in the formula.

Redline SI-1

Instead of Chevron at every fill, carry a small bottle of MMO and put a few ounces in at every fill up. Run Techron once or twice a year and you'll be fine. The MMO keeps things pretty spotless especially once used for about 10k miles and keeps it clean after techron treatments, keeps things well lubricated as well.

I like Quest prefer the bottle in the tank every 5-7,000 miles. In addition; I use the "System Cleaner" rather than the weaker "Injector" cleaner.

I dump a bottle every 5k oci--rotate between Injector and Fuel System. Surprisingly, Hyundai actually recommends using fuel system cleaners every once in a while...at least for my Sonata.

Originally Posted By: volk06
I usually buy my gas from a kum n go or sams club. Since Sams buys fuels from the cheapest bidder at the time and kum n go uses flint hills fuels, they aren't top tier listed. Is there any harm in adding a small amount of techron in each tank of gas to keep things clean lubricated? with the BOGO at AAP and previous use, I like techron alot. Probably make the 20oz bottle last 4 tankfuls. So about 5oz for 17 gallon tank each fill up. (usually put about 12 gallons in each fill up) Thoughts?

volk06,

I heard Sams Club gas is pretty good according to loose opinions. I myself use ARCO or Costco most of the time and will a few times Chevron or Union 76 to supplement. After a service I always add a bottle of Techron to help the insids clean itself. I'm not into measureing quantities of Techron every fill-up so every three months I usuall just add by the bottle.

Durango

I would think MMO better suited to continuous use, Techron for "shock" cleaning as already suggested. My 2 cents.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I like Quest prefer the bottle in the tank every 5-7,000 miles. In addition; I use the "System Cleaner" rather than the weaker "Injector" cleaner.

Eddie, that's a good tip. I think I'll go that route as well. Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted By: 229
I think it lowers your mpg. They only recommend it at oci mileages.

I thought I read one time that fuel system cleaners such as these have an effect on oil and should used in the tank prior to an OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back