Polaris Ranger 700xp Recomendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just brought home a new toy, 2009 Polaris Ranger 700xp.. our local Polaris dealer just did a service on it before i took delivery of it (3 miles since last oci) so whatever Polaris puts in em its atleast fresh.. needless to say im sure not planning to let them do my future oil changes as IM A BITOG'er i do my own ! i glanced at the manual and i was shocked when (if memory serves) it calls for a 50wt.. WOW, didnt expect that.. so anyways, im going to let it ride for 50hrs or so and get some use out of the recent OCI, but by the time winter sets in here in Indiana im changing it out (Deer season) of course i will double check for the correct weight but i thought i would post here and see if there are any recomendations for brand, anyone have any experience with UTV's ? if it was yours what oil would you experiment with first? Machine has 800 miles and 160hrs of use on it.

the power sport section might be more relevant for this... i have no idea what polaris recommends or needs.

Polaris specs their PS4 for everything since 2009 and it is a 2w50 weight. I don't know many Polaris owners that use it however. Lots of Polaris guys use an HDEO like Rotella or Delvac with good results. Your choices are really wide open since I don't believe that engine has a wet clutch. If it were mine, I'd probably run something like Amsoil Powersports 0w40 oil. It will give you good cold pump-ability when you crank it on those cold hunting mornings and offer great protection when things heat up.

Originally Posted By: car54
the power sport section might be more relevant for this... i have no idea what polaris recommends or needs.

WE have a power sports section ? hmmm, never noticed it before! thanks for the tip.

It will get used year round, (stopped today looking at cab inclosures) and the local polaris dealer keeps 0-40 on the shelf for it, "Genuine Polaris 0-40 synthetic" at $12.xx a bottle. at the bottom of the bottle it of course said it was manufactured for Polaris.. but didnt say by who ! Indiana can reach 100'F in the summer with heat index of 115'f and the winters touch below freezing pretty often, its not uncommon for it to get in the teens for a week at a time, and dip down to single digits for a few days. every once in awhile we will see below zero, but its not to often.. this machine will be used for yard work, (chainsaw in bed hauling branches) deer hunting, a little fishing, Lots of country cruising on the Indiana backroads, and pleasure rides with my family.. I dont see any "HEAVY" duty use, but you never know.. i bought it to use it, time will tell.

Originally Posted By: ccdhowell
Polaris specs their PS4 for everything since 2009 and it is a 2w50 weight. I don't know many Polaris owners that use it however. Lots of Polaris guys use an HDEO like Rotella or Delvac with good results. Your choices are really wide open since I don't believe that engine has a wet clutch. If it were mine, I'd probably run something like Amsoil Powersports 0w40 oil. It will give you good cold pump-ability when you crank it on those cold hunting mornings and offer great protection when things heat up.

thanks for your recomendation, is the Amsoil your refering to dino, or syn ? i was pretty blown away when i seen that it only hold like 2 qrts.. never expected that either

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
thanks for your recomendation, is the Amsoil your refering to dino, or syn ? i was pretty blown away when i seen that it only hold like 2 qrts.. never expected that either

It's a true PAO (group IV) synthetic. Should give good service in your Polaris. I run Amsoil Motorcycle 10w40 in mine, never see the cold temps that you do or I'd run the 0w40 myself.

I have a 2005 Ranger 700 XP I bought new. It now has almost 500 hours on it. I have always used 0-40 Mobil 1 synthetic and Napa Gold(WIx) oil filters. The machine performs great in cold to extra hot weather here in NW Arkansas. I am about to change the oil again and will try 5-40 Rotella which I run in lots of other machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back