Battery Keeps Dying Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sure seems like a parasitic draw.

with a new battery, we can pretty safely assume it is OK.

An alternator is easy to check for output, an also the battery would be discharged. Another thing i have to rule out at this point.

All modern car circuits draw some power when the car is off.
Something is drawing high on yours. How did you rule this out for sure?

By rights, the shop would have hooked up a carbon load tester to the battery and induced say a 100 amp load. They would then use an inductive ammeter to measure alternator output - it should be the same, but I bet it's not.

Seems common based on Amazon forums, people complaining about Chevy Impala 2007 and 2008 batteries dying. Here is copy/paste from discussion:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/automotive/r...Tx1EJL5XOVXKM04

"Unfortunately the Impala has a some problems, but on the bright side, most are the same. one major problem is the BCM a pricey little box hidden under the dash above the brake pedal. They have been known to put parasitic load on the battery. New from GM approx 200. they can be had used, but make sure they're "unlocked" they need to be re-programed by dealer or shop with "TECK 2" programmer. of course check the charging system 1st
smile.gif

"

and

"I have an 08 with V6, I had same issue with the battery, I replaced the battery with a red top Optima battery. That took care of that problem. "

and

"we had problems with our car draining the power as well. we ended up getting a higher rated alternator to accommodate all the bells and whistles in the car. this fixed the problem. the dealer didn't know what was causing this. the parts store suggested it.
"

Before we jump into conclusions, it's best to obtain the following info first:

(1) what is the parasitic current draw when your car/engine is off?
(*this is very important in determining if your cause of flat battery is due to excessive parasitic draw or else)

(2) need to know your idling engine (A/C, headlights, etc. all off) battery terminal voltage reading?

Q.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
It sure seems like a parasitic draw.

with a new battery, we can pretty safely assume it is OK.

An alternator is easy to check for output, an also the battery would be discharged. Another thing i have to rule out at this point.

All modern car circuits draw some power when the car is off.
Something is drawing high on yours. How did you rule this out for sure?

A parasitic draw test was done by the dealership. I'm not sure what the test consisted of, but was performed by a Chevy mechanic. The mechanic said the draw was normal and concluded that the issue is not caused by a parasitic draw. He spent about 3 hours testing the car.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Before we jump into conclusions, it's best to obtain the following info first:

(1) what is the parasitic current draw when your car/engine is off?
(*this is very important in determining if your cause of flat battery is due to excessive parasitic draw or else)

(2) need to know your idling engine (A/C, headlights, etc. all off) battery terminal voltage reading?

Q.

I don't know what the parasitic draw is when the car is off. All I know is that the dealer did a parasitic draw test and said it tested fine and was not the culprit.

The voltage at the battery when the car is at idle, all accessories off, is about 14.6 or 14.7 volts. My volt meter is analogue so I can't be exact.

Originally Posted By: nepadriver
Seems common based on Amazon forums, people complaining about Chevy Impala 2007 and 2008 batteries dying. Here is copy/paste from discussion:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/automotive/r...Tx1EJL5XOVXKM04

"Unfortunately the Impala has a some problems, but on the bright side, most are the same. one major problem is the BCM a pricey little box hidden under the dash above the brake pedal. They have been known to put parasitic load on the battery. New from GM approx 200. they can be had used, but make sure they're "unlocked" they need to be re-programed by dealer or shop with "TECK 2" programmer. of course check the charging system 1st
smile.gif

"

and

"I have an 08 with V6, I had same issue with the battery, I replaced the battery with a red top Optima battery. That took care of that problem. "

and

"we had problems with our car draining the power as well. we ended up getting a higher rated alternator to accommodate all the bells and whistles in the car. this fixed the problem. the dealer didn't know what was causing this. the parts store suggested it.
"

Thanks for the lead on the BCM. I will speak with the GM mechanic personally and ask him about it and a few other things. Everytime I go in all communication is through the receptionist. I'm also going to ask about the other charging system components that a previous poster mentioned. I will print these posts and bring them with me. The car is now officially out of warranty, but the dealer has agreed to try and fix the problem since I brought it to them when it was under warranty. Now it's just a matter of how bad they want to fix it for me.

some cars have a temp sincere under the battery, if it gives the wrong signal it might over/under charge the battery. may be that brand of bat is junk.

Does your car have heated seats??? If so, then this bulletin may be your answer:

Service Information

2007 Chevrolet Impala | Impala, Monte Carlo VIN W Service Manual | Bulletins By Category | Technical | Document ID: 2399812
#10-08-50-001: No Crank, No Start, Discharged or Low Battery (Reprogram Heated Seat Module) - (Feb 15, 2010)

Subject: No Crank, No Start, Discharged or Low Battery (Reprogram Heated Seat Module)
Models: 2006-2010 Chevrolet Impala
2007-2009 Chevrolet Equinox
2007-2009 Pontiac Torrent
Equipped with Front Heated Seats

Condition

Some customers may comment on a no crank, no start, discharged or low battery.

Note: This condition may be intermittent, therefore it is important to check if a revised calibration has been released on TIS2WEB for this concern, even if the condition cannot be duplicated at the dealer.

Cause

This condition may be caused by the heated seat module discharging the battery. The module keeps the serial data bus active, which creates a cumulative, continuous amperage draw on the battery after the vehicle is shut down, until the state of charge reaches three volts.

Correction

Important: DO NOT replace the heated seat module or the battery for this concern.

Reprogram the heated seat module with the latest software calibration.

Important: Select the correct calibration files for the appropriate vehicle configuration (body style) and RPO codes.

A revised calibration has been developed to address this condition. Technicians are to reprogram the heated seat module using the Service Programming System (SPS) with the latest software available on TIS2WEB. Refer to the Service Programming System (SPS) procedures in SI.

When using a Tech 2® or a Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) for reprogramming, ensure that it is updated with the latest software version.

During programming, the battery voltage must be maintained within the proper range of 12-15 Volts. Only use the approved Midtronics® PSC 550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent during programming.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

N9631*

Heated Seat Module Reprogramming with SPS

0.4 hr

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2011 General Motors. All rights reserved.

Just got word from the garage, they have finally found what was draining my battery. The OnStar in the car is malfunctioning. After the fourth day of sitting without running, the OnStar powered on for no reason and drained the battery. The service manager said the voltage that the OnStar was drawing killed the battery very quickly. The mechanic couldn't detect the power draw before because the Onstar never acted up when the car was at the garage. This time it took four days for it to malfunction.

The service manager has ordered a new OnStar module and will have it fixed in a few days. Thanks for those that chimed in to help. I hope anyone else that has this problem with their GM or more specifically, Impala, stumble across this thread and find the answer. This has been 9 months of heart ache.

Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
get a optima or get a new alternator. Or better yet check for a short?

OP sez it's the onstar that turned itself on and drained the battery....haven't you read?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back