Anything equivelent to Zerex G-05 yet??

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can buy G48 from some SAAB Dealers. They should all carry it as the 2002 and earlier cars require this formula (or G-05) but some nitwits will try to tell you Dex-Cool for the newer cars is the same stuff, Ask for SAAB Blue coolant.

If not available, try www.eEuroparts.com and buy the coolant, P/N 0268177, $14 per gallon.

Gee, and to think I ws going to parts stores tonight trying to find Zerex G-05 and wondering why it wasn't available. But them no Zerex products were on the shelves. Mercedes and Chrysler coolant is also a G-05 formula.

I actually do have scaling in my overflow bottle in car from my G-05. It doesn't really concern me, though.

On the car-specific forum applicable to my vehicle, I think there has been a total of one guy report a coolant-related repair, and that was a guy who changed his water pump at 200K because it started to whine a little. Obviously, the G-05 seems to work well in this application.

Well, the Prestone stuff with the rebate says on the bottle phosphate, & silicate free. I guess it can't be all that bad??

Originally Posted By: KenO
Well, the Prestone stuff with the rebate says on the bottle phosphate, & silicate free. I guess it can't be all that bad??

Dex clone?

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
go5 going away..ford stopped using it...leaves deposits..they have gone to the orange universal stuff...final charge hd is the best...has no nitrites,boates,silicates, and phosphates...its in all their new vehicles...i trashed all the g05 in my vehicles and put in final charge.you can get final charge by peak at pep boys...also there is clear choice same coolant..google them both.

Does anyone else agree to any truth in this?

I've been putting off changing out the coolant in my 2004 Civic and thought I'd go with G-05 but now I'm hesitant.
So if avoiding Honda coolant, what should I use? Zerex G05, Zerex Asian, PEAK Global, Beck Arnley Extended Life, Final Charge HD?
Are some of these the exact same formula?

Originally Posted By: BrianL
go5 going away..ford stopped using it...leaves deposits..they have gone to the orange universal stuff...final charge hd is the best...has no nitrites,boates,silicates, and phosphates...its in all their new vehicles...i trashed all the g05 in my vehicles and put in final charge.you can get final charge by peak at pep boys...also there is clear choice same coolant..google them both.

I've been putting off changing out the coolant in my 2004 Civic and thought I'd go with G-05 but now I'm hesitant.
So if avoiding Honda coolant, what should I use? Zerex G05, Zerex Asian, PEAK Global, Beck Arnley Extended Life, Final Charge HD?

The truth is you'll likely have zero issues with any of the coolants that you mentioned if serviced within their useful lifespan.

If you don't mind spending the money and ordering, the Beck Arnley blue may be your best (closest) bet outside of going to the dealer.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

The truth is you'll likely have zero issues with any of the coolants that you mentioned if serviced within their useful lifespan.

If you don't mind spending the money and ordering, the Beck Arnley blue may be your best (closest) bet outside of going to the dealer.

Unfortunately the blue is premixed though. I was hoping to do a complete change, rather than a drain and fill, so I would end up with more water than coolant.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Unfortunately the blue is premixed though. I was hoping to do a complete change, rather than a drain and fill, so I would end up with more water than coolant.

If there's not any signs of problems, I'd just do a couple of drain and fills. That blue stuff is some long lived coolant. 2 or 3 drain/fills will easily get you to where you need to be.

Also of course the fact that when buying the Honda premix, you're really only getting half of what you should.
smile.gif
And it's not priced lower to make up for that.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
All the misinformation about G-05 is pretty amazing. Its probably the overall best product out there today, and definitely the one most suited to retrofitting into older vehicles as conventional inorganic coolant gets harder to find.

Yes.

I think G-48 uses 2-EHA. Doesn't matter really because it's hard to find and pricey. In my opinion American Green although it contains phophates and has a slightly shorter service life is the most similar to G-05. I think there is some truth to G-05 not being the perfect anti-freeze. It does work well but it has some of the shortcoming of Green and then some, G-05 contains borates and nitrite. Both are agressive against aluminum which is a very common cooling system material. Just like with Green it's not a problem as long as the other inhibitors are not depleted. And just like with Green whatever problems silicate and borates may cause most don't think they are a problem. Although Green can pit aluminum if not changed regurly enough.

It still comes down to if you are not going to use the OE coolant and you want an affordable replacement besides Dexclone, Green or G-05, about the only choice is Peak Global. It seems to protecting cooling systems and doesn't seem to have any reported issues.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
+1 The trend is away from G-05 due to enviromental concerns.

Interesting. Would you elaborate?

Originally Posted By: urchin
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I think G-48 uses 2-EHA.

Incorrect, it doesn't.

Then post a link to the ingredient list of G-48. Anyone can say "incorrect". As I recall I read a TDS for G48 , that listed 2-EHA as an inhibitor. I could be mistaken about G48 (since theres probably over 7 types of European coolant G-05, G-11, G12, G12+, G34 and on and on) but European coolants tend to favor it.

OK here is the product guide for Comma brand's approved G48 coolant Comma G-48. Then click the MSDS link and you will see in the ingredients list 2-ETHYLHEXANOIC ACID or 2-EHA. Here is a direct link G-48. G48 appears to be a silicated HOAT with 2-EHA as the organic acid inhibitor. I've seen similar lists on other brands of G48.

Boxcartommie - After a year with G-05 in my Jeep, the inside of the radiator tanks and engine (from what I could see with heads, timing cover, etc. removed) were all spotless. Unless it's left in too long, it doesn't seem to leave deposits, at least not for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back