2009 Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix Corolla) trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the 1.8L 4 speed Auto. Ive got about 15k miles and am thinking about a drain and fill on the transmission. Anyone know how many quarts? The owners manual says T-IV but the dipstick says WS so I think I will go with WS. Pontiac dealership doesnt seem to know what fluid it takes, said regular ATF. Should I just go get it from Toyota? Anyone have any advice or input?

I'd wait and do it @ 30k miles and every 30k after that.

15k is too early.

As far as fluid, you have a 100k power train warranty? Use whatever the manual states just in case.

Bill

Pontiac dealer doesnt know what "WS" is, and whatever they found in the computer shows $17 a quart.

Yes I have the 100k warranty. I'm more inclined to think the dipstick is right about the trans fluid (aka WS, not T-IV). Ill check around some more before doing anything. Like you said Im probably early anyway. Its so easy to change the ATF, the only reason I havent is because we have free oil changes at the dealership for the year, which are really just a waste of time. They put in 5w30 when it specs 5w20.

New Maxlife ATF states WS compatible now - I just did 3 drain and refills on my sisters 07 Yaris, which uses WS fluid -

She has driven 15,000kms with no reported problems, just better shifts and gas mileage.

FL-400S, I had the same problem a week ago or so. I changed the trans fluid for my wife's 09 Vibe with "Toyota WS" fluid. the manual says T-IV, but the owners manual is wrong. this trans takes Toyota WS, go by what's on the dipstick. I bought the Toyota WS fluid from a toyota dealership for $8/qt. your owners manual should say how much fluid a drain/fill takes. the trans pan bolt took a Torx t-55 to get the trans plug out.

P.S I have the 5 speed auto shiftable trans.

Last edited:
This dealership really is a treat. They put in 5w30 again instead of 5w20, which is what it specs and what the free oil change paperwork says "correct grade". When questioned, they say they use 5w30 down south because of the heat. Does it really matter what the hot viscosity number is? Wont the car run at about 175 or 180 (according to thermostat) as long as the cooling system works?

the 5w30 engine oil won't hurt it. you wont notice any difference between 5w20 and 5w30. just an ever so slight non-existent fuel mileage difference.

as for the trans fluid questions. all newer toyota's use type WS. i would wait at least until 30k before changing it...its a premium oil that really doesn't get as dirty as the dex3/type-IV. and the corolla/matrix auto trans is really easy on the fluid. they rarely have any issues unless it's abused or neglected.

Originally Posted By: FL-400S
Pontiac dealership doesnt seem to know what fluid it takes, said regular ATF.

That's rich. I'll bet it takes "regular" antifreeze too.

Interesting about the ATF dipstick saying WS...I'll look at my son's 2009 Vibe to see what it says, as I was about to buy T-IV for it.
Although the oil cap says 5w-30 when the manual says 5w-20, now I hear the trans oil has similar "labeling" issues!

I got a 2010 Vibe since this thread started. The 4-speed auto takes WS, about 2.6 quarts for a pan drain.

My oil cap says 5W-20, but the manual says 5W-30. I think I read on a Vibe forum that there was a TSB correcting the manual to 5W-20. The manual also says Dex-Cool for coolant, but mine looks an awful lot like Toyota Pink.

I should add that my owner's manual listed 3.something quarts for the trans capacity, but that must be a full pan drop. I found a Toyota fluid chart online that lists 2.6 to drain the U341E. The drain plug takes a 10mm allen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back