Ford Escape rear wheel bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing this wheel bearing has been toast for a long time. With the spin test it won't even complete a revolution compared to the other sides that's spins at least 5 times. No it's not the brakes. I've never messed with seal bearings is something I can do myself? No place lists just the hub assembly for the rear or even the front.. not sure why? It isn't AWD in case it's asked.

Hi Eric,
If it is like a 2001 ford focus, the bearing is pressed into the rear drum. I bought the drum assembly with bearing already pressed into it for about $30 to 40 dollars. You can press the bearing into the drum if you happen to have access to a press.

The drum nut comes off and then just pull the drum off. The Focus rear drum axle nut is something like 173 ft torque.

Hope this helps.

JGR

Last edited:
If the bearing is that bad it must have been really loud...
crazy2.gif

Check the Escape forums for install procedures. Most take them into a shop to have the new one pressed in
19.gif

It's getting up there. Guess it was so gradual gotten used to it. Actually thought it was the tires. I think may check with a shop I know. Have to drive it 100 miles down there but he'll be a 1/4 price up here.

I am sure you could do it yourself if you had a press, or take the part off and take just the part to have it pressed in, may be cheaper.

I bought the Harbor Freight 12T press on sale for $99.00. Used it to press the front bearing into the knuckle and press in the wheel hub. It was not to bad of a job, except for the bolts rusted from these Ohio winters.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

JGR

Spin tested it? I assume this is a FWD only Escape? Even so, there will be some resistance from the rear brakes.

I know on my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD, my rear left went from a very slight rumble (where I couldn't tell which corner it was coming from) to an all out ROAR that was SO unbelievably loud I had to wear ear plugs to drop it off at the shop.

It was expensive too. The hub assy itself was like $270, + labor.

so buy a used one. hub with the bearing from ebay $25-75.
problem solved. Then you have time to play with the old one and learn how to press it.

Yeah spin tested.. the other one spun forever that one hardly went once. The brake wasn't dragging but that brake was wore down alot more than the other not sure why. Good idea on a used I think their might be one at a pick it place. There's only three on ebay the rest is for the front. But those are for 05's and hybrids.. not sure the difference. Wish I had a press I'd do it myself.. don't know of any reputable shops up here. Used probably would be cheaper.

I'm a goof guess I didn't test it after I put it back together but it spins freely today. Guess it's just the tires making so much noise.

If the pad is worn more on one side, it's a good indication your caliper or it's slide(s) are sticking.

Like was already said before, if your bearing is causing a noticeable drag, then it's also making a heck of a racket. You better look at your brakes first...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back