Someone elses FX45 engine teardown pics @ 193K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Mobil High Mileage used (what is the spec for this engine?) and a history of oil consumption in the engine design. And they now have an updated ring design (which he used on the rebuild) to deal with the issue.

He seems to push Amsoil a whole lot.

Obviously, if the oil was the problem, there wouldn't be an updated ring design for the engine.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Spec is API SL 5w30. Nissan is not picky.

OK. The guy in the thread (pushing AMSOIL) was talking about the guy using Mobil 1. Then the guy that owned it popped in and said he was using Mobil "Extended Mileage" with the 7500 mile OCI.

So extended drains with a syn blend on an engine with an oil control problem that Nissan released updated rings to address....

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Obviously, if the oil was the problem, there wouldn't be an updated ring design for the engine.

If by "the problem" you mean "the main problem," then I agree. However, oil choice can sometimes band-aid design issues.

He also made it a point at least once to say that Mobil 1 wasn't really "fully synthetic" anymore, but just a blend. I thought that was humorous, and figured that'd be the first thing discussed on here!

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

If by "the problem" you mean "the main problem," then I agree. However, oil choice can sometimes band-aid design issues.

True. We are talking about a potential cumulation of issues here, the main one being the engine's issue with oil control. Add extended OCI's with a non-syn to it, and the results are predictable.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
He also made it a point at least once to say that Mobil 1 wasn't really "fully synthetic" anymore, but just a blend. I thought that was humorous, and figured that'd be the first thing discussed on here!

Yes, he had his mobil 1 hate-on in full swing. Sort of funny to see the original owner pop in and say he was running Mobil 5000 or 7500 for the duration of the vehicle's life. Whoops
wink.gif

True. We are talking about a potential cumulation of issues here, the main one being the engine's issue with oil control. Add extended OCI's with a non-syn to it, and the results are predictable.

This isn't at all unlike Cadillac's Northstar engine. Driven conservatively, it'll start to smoke and consume oil (usually consume oil before any other symptom). The fix, if you can catch it in time, is the good ol' Italian tuneup. Later versions of the car had a different piston ring design, as the earlier engines were particularly prone to oil cake-up like what happened with that Infinity engine.

And if it's not already well-known, the Northstar was GM's first large-scale use (if I recall correctly) of their OLM, recommending as high as 12,500 miles on conventional oil.

It seems to be a classic case of engine mis-application really. Put a fairly high-performance engine (especially for its time), one that can and does thrive on high-load and high-speed operation, into a vehicle that typically sees conservative duty cycles and this is often the result.

Mobil 5000/7000 would've been fine for that motor. Nissan does not require synthetic.

I understand that. But the engine has an oil control problem. Hence the redesigned oil control rings for it that the guy put in during the rebuild. I imagine a "better" oil may have resulted in less coking/build-up at the 7500 mile intervals the guy was running.

So yes, while Nissan does not require/spec a synthetic for this engine as you've indicated, I imagine it would have at least extended the time it took to accumulate the build-up it had at the rings. Masking the real issue of course, which is a faulty ring design.

Looks to me like these V8's have the same problem the (mostly) early VQ35's had. My '02 Maxima burned a lot of oil. Ran flawlessly but burned oil. (rings)

Frankly I think the motor's condition is still impressive given the mileage and inherent design problem.

Frankly I think the motor's condition is still impressive given the mileage and inherent design problem.

Agreed!
thumbsup2.gif

That right there is a MAN. Straight up. I somehow am the "car" guy in my circle but that dude makes me look like a granny-Sunday-driver.

Engine looked great except for the rings for that mileage.

Nissan makes some great engines.... They may have some design flaws but the majority of the engine is great. I had no real trouble with 2 VQ35 cars I owned other than 1 of them burned oil, and I was always addicted to the smoothness and power that they delivered. Would buy again any day (just didn't due to fuel prices!)

Yeah, the nissan VK45de V8 had a good share of oil burners, just like the VQ35de. I don't think it was a high percentage, but enough to get some attention. Luckily I have not had either problem and I have had a bunch of them.

I never considered the oil consumption problem to be a big issue, more of a nuisance. But after seeing those ring packs and pistons, it makes me rethink that.

Unless of course the guy really extended his OCI beyond what was stated - he did mention he was sick of changing the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back