Rislone gets it! Now 5000 ppm zinc!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I did a search and did not find this posted. I can't believe it, just saw a bottle at Advance Auto yesterday. This is fantastic. Rislone now has a supplement with 5000 ppm zinc and 4500 ppm phosphorus. Check out the Tech Sheet Data and press release on this great new Rislone product!

Fantastic! Rislone has redeemed themselves (remember their engine treatment with almost zero zddp?)

That DOES look like a great oil treatment for those that need it.

Basically a 10W-40 oil with super-concentrated ZN, P, and Ca.

I'd like to see moly in it - if it had 2-3k ppm of moly, it would be just about perfect!

The standard Rislone is for cleaning only, this is a zinc booster. I used the standard Rislone in combo with CI4 rated diesel oil to not dilute the antiwear additive pack.

Would be interested in how the standard Rislone Engine Treatment compares to this in base oil. I think the standard stuff is more or less a 20 weight. For me, if I want to throw some thin stuff in I just use the MMO as I already have it for the fuel tank.

I don't need 5000PPM of ZDDP in my car, but a couple hundred more PPM wouldn't hurt as my car is approved for SL/GF3.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^Well, mixed in with your oil the ppm isn't 5,000...right?

Nope. If it was, that much zinc would kill your engine.

If you go 1 qt of this Rislone stuff and 5 qts of regular oil (assume 800 ppm zddp). Then 5000 - 800 = 4200. 4200/6 = 700. And finally 800 + 700 = 1500 ppm in your crankcase. That is comparable to the level in Redline Oil. I woudl go half bottle of Rislone in the crankcase which would be 4200/12 = 350 and 800 +350 = 1150 ppm, which is comparable to the old SL rated oil zddp levels.

The TDS sheet I saw shows 501 ppm of zinc and 450 ppm of phos.

Look again and tell me if you don't see a dot before the numbers.

Shoud have been written scientifically as 0.501% and 0.452%.

Yeah, I have to get through all my SLOB first. Then I still have a quart of that 20,000 ppm zinc stuff Bruce gave me. Finally, I would probably prefer the REdline additive, but the Rislone would do in a pinch as it is available off the shelf.

Right. I don't think the massive amounts are what the final mix is.
That must be the amount in the additive and carrier lube.

It is supposed to be used at a 20% dosage which equates to ~ 1700 ppm. Gads, why can't we read instructions. OPs, I see TallPaul reads to.

Last edited:
Redline Breakin additive has 20500 ppm Zn (in ZDDP, I don't know the alkyl chain length, presumably sort of short), 17500 ppm P, 20000 ppm Ca (probably detergent).
A 1:60 dilution into lube oil will raise Zn~315ppm, P~230ppm, and Ca~300ppm.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
If you go 1 qt of this Rislone stuff and 5 qts of regular oil (assume 800 ppm zddp). Then 5000 - 800 = 4200. 4200/6 = 700. And finally 800 + 700 = 1500 ppm in your crankcase. That is comparable to the level in Redline Oil. I woudl go half bottle of Rislone in the crankcase which would be 4200/12 = 350 and 800 +350 = 1150 ppm, which is comparable to the old SL rated oil zddp levels.

I do the same using ZDDP Maxx. They come in two ounce bottles and it is so concentrated that a half bottle(1oz) will boost to just over 1100ppm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back