Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
One of the quickest street cars I ever saw was a very quiet GNX. You could hear the turbo and the street slicks slapping at the pavement more than you could the engine's exhaust note

Back many years ago, probably about 20 or so when the nearby abandoned airstrip used to hold drag races, there were 2 Grand Nationals that used to race there pretty regularly. They were right up there among the very fastest street driven cars but they were so quiet you could barely hear the engine above the turbos and the tires! I remember my dad was talking to one of the GN's owners who said they put big blocks of ice on the intercooler between races. Fun memories.

I've heard [censored] piped imports that almost split my eardrums with their exhaust note, and I've heard others that are much more mellow, deep but still loud (usually on cars combined with CAI's) that sound gorgeous. I assume it's the cheap Pepboys or similar 'performance' exhausts that sound the worst, a real you-get-what-you-pay-for example.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Because they equate loud with fast.

That's why I love the big Mercs with V12s...whisper quiet but real tire-smokers.

Yep, no need to advertise.

Although I am partial to a Ferrari V12 or 8 at full wail, or a Porsche flat 6.

I just don't really care for the little cheap ricy cars running around, plus the drivers have attitudes and want to race which is lame, since there cars have like 130hp so what's the point?

When your in a nice car sitting at a light its super annoying when they pull up to you and rev and want to race.

Good engines sound good, cheap economy 4 bangers don't keep the mufflers on. Its not a Bugatti.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lg2S8C4rh4
I still think a Rolls Royce 12 at full sing is just about pure sex.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kasedian
cry-baby.jpg

Exactly my point. That baby is shedding no tears. That's the baby face of trying to let out flatulent gas and it's going to be bad!!!!

Riiiiiiiiiiip FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

That's the sound of RAW POWA!!!!

LOL!
grin.gif

The Expedition has a Magnaflow on it. You'd never know it. It is only louder (and it sounds wonderful) when you are on it.

The Lincoln has a set of Flowmaster 40's. Quiet, yet with a distinct tone. The cats keep it quiet.

The M5 is dead-silent. It has 4 mufflers and a huge set of resonators, as well as massive cats. I love it, but am half of the idea that it is too quiet for my taste. Might go Borla or Magnaflow, both who make cat-back's for it. Not far from each other in price. I imagine both would be factory-quiet unless you are on the "go pedal".

A properly done exhaust will enhance how the car sounds without being over the top. It won't be too loud. It won't be too quiet. It will be quiet when necessary and loud when you make it that way. And when it is louder, it won't be obnoxious. It will simply enhance the tone of the car's note in a way that is a pleasure for the ears to behold.

A flatulence cannon from Pep Boys, "The Zone", Canadian Tire....etc. is not a properly done exhaust. And the people that are slapping them on aren't likely interested in a properly done exhaust anyway. Those can cost a lot of money and are always a lot harder to install. Not just a sawsall and exhaust clamp away from "complete".

I always figured the louder the pipes the smaller the "pipe", if you get my drift.

I too suffer in my neighborhood from the loud Harley jerks and one guy with a Dodge pickup (gas) I can hear, or really kinda feel, idling every morning at 0430, in the winter he starts it 20-30 mins early to "warm up".
BTW this guy is several hundred yards away, I really don't see how how his immediate neighbors stand it....

Don't even get me started on the big rigs with no mufflers and engine brakes, usually an independent who apparently sold his mufflers to buy a hundred marker lights and a big [censored] windshield visor...

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
Go buy some earplugs or Buy their house.

Wrong attitude. People shouldn't have to go to these extremes (having to wear ear plugs or buy up the neighborhood just so you can stand the live there is extreme). I say file a noise abatement complaint with the police on the inconsiderate a-holes. File enough complaints and the cops will have to do something about it...

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I especially don't understand the old, fat guys on loud Harley bikes

My question about those..if I can read this because the [censored] fell off, can you reach the speed limit now?

Originally Posted By: Vstrom
...Don't even get me started on the big rigs with no mufflers and engine brakes, usually an independent who apparently sold his mufflers to buy a hundred marker lights and a big [censored] windshield visor...
The small town I'm working in today has posted signs at seemingly every entrance into town: NO ENGINE BRAKE by City Ordinace XXXXXXX

Given the amount of local police, county sherriff's deputies, and state troopers I see on my way in, I think they are enforcing it.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I especially don't understand the old, fat guys on loud Harley bikes

My question about those..if I can read this because the [censored] fell off, can you reach the speed limit now?

crackmeup2.gif

Of course he can't. That would make his Harley Davidson branded sandals (made in China of course) bend backwards in the wind.

Originally Posted By: Popinski
Unfortunately, the flatulent exhausts are still legal!!!

Depends on the ordinance of a particular area. In most places I know of, they aren't legal...

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
That would make his Harley Davidson branded sandals (made in China of course) bend backwards in the wind.

Harley owners want their bikes loud so they sound like something they're not....fast and powerful....

Here is what a proper small displacement engine sounds like, Honda what? BRM was doing it before Honda motors was a dream.

I have been next to these cars in the pits, the camera doesn't do it justice. See the guys plugging their ears? Its so loud you feel it, hearing anything is impossible. Talking involves shouting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Here is what a proper small displacement engine sounds like, Honda what?

Honda knew. Soichiro Honda was just geting started when British Racing Motors was at their peak. But he didn't just sit idly by.

Maybe not to the extent of 16 cylinders but howzabout a 250cc DOHC 6 cylinder?

Or a 32 valve V-4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back