Pennzoil Synthetic Gear Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

I was poking around on the Pennzoil site (Pennzoil Synthetic Gear Oil PDS) and it seems they are now making synthetic gear oil in both 75w-90 and 75w-140.

After searching online for a while I could not find a source to purchase it. Two questions then:

1. Anyone see this on a shelf or online for purchase?
2. Has anyone tried it and have any feedback?

Thanks for any information.

No but that gets me really excited. Id like my entire car pennzoiled out. I've never seen their Dino gear oil for sale either.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
No but that gets me really excited. Id like my entire car pennzoiled out. I've never seen their Dino gear oil for sale either.

I have seen the conventional oil at Autozone. You may want to check there if there is one near you.

looked and looked...none to be found locally...too bad 'cause even Walgreens and Kroger carry their motor oil...weird

I bought some Pennzoil 75w-90 synthetic GL-5 at Walmart about 5 years ago to try in my Corolla's manual transaxle. It was unshiftable; I had to limp back into my garage and change it back out.

That doesn't mean it wouldn't work great in an axle, transfer case etc. as a gear oil. Try Walmart.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I bought some Pennzoil 75w-90 synthetic GL-5 at Walmart about 5 years ago to try in my Corolla's manual transaxle. It was unshiftable; I had to limp back into my garage and change it back out.

That doesn't mean it wouldn't work great in an axle, transfer case etc. as a gear oil. Try Walmart.

Ouch...I thought most of those used ATF? Thanks for the tip--never considered Wal-Mart (duh!).

After poking around a bit further, I found a report that **may** indicate the Pennzoil synthetic is not one of the best gear oils, so my search may be a moot point. The testing and report was done by Amsoil and while I am not suggesting that it is skewed in any way, I will see if I can find a independent 3rd party report to review. FWIW, here is is...

A Study of Automotive Gear Lubes

May have to check with Pablo for the Amsoil noted in the report...

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

They have a GL-4 synthetic as well . That would have likely performed better . The TOYOTA manuals like the GL-4 best , found this out after putting MOBIL 1 75w-90 ( GL-5 ) in a 2000 Corolla tranny , dumped it for REDLINE MT-90 ( GL-4 ) and shifts were smooth without grinding .

I was able to procure, via Amazon Warehouse Deals, a case of the Pennzoil 75w90 GL5 a few months back.

Amazon does have this gear oil listed, but it takes awhile for delivery.

My order was delivered fast since it was a Warehouse Deals special, of 12 quarts for a great price. I'll definitely be using this fluid to change out my rear diffy this summer.

As far as I can tell, from reading the PDS and bottle, it does not contain any LS additive.

No limited slip additive in the gear oil is just fine in my case since my application does not require the additive for my Toyota 4Runner, SR5

I have seen their 75W-90 GL4 and 75W-140 GL5 products at my local independent auto parts store (Weaver). Have not used them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back