Make my own winter mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even after picking up some Napa syn last month, I always seem to find more deals...

PYB is on sale at my local Krogers for 2.34/qt. I figured between this and the pennzoil rebates I could do pretty good for a case. And I figure since I'm changing it at around 5k or so anyways in my beater (cobalt-current fill Napa syn) and it would do just fine.

My only issue with this would be cold starts for the winter. So, I was thinking for winter I could make a "blend", and just do 4ts PYB, and 1 qt PP. A buddy of my has a few leftover quarts of PP for me to use. Then I could go back to the usual in the spring.

your thoughts?

I've run straight dino, pyb and others, through many Ottawa winters w/o any starting issues.

I don't think 1 quart of PP will make a big change in the ccs value of a fill of oil. Straight pyb will work just fine.

Really depends on what weight the oil is, but PYB has a low enough pour point on its own for winter use. Michigan rarely see's below -20*F in the winter and even then you will be fine.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

your thoughts?

Do whatever lets you sleep better at night. Personally, I wouldn't bother.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
dave -
Why hide/omit the oil viscosity you intend to mix, then ask for advice??

Sorry! I forgot to add it!
cry.gif

This would be 5w30 for a 2.2 Ecotech for MI winter......

All the bottles would be the same weights.....

Last edited:
If you have orphan bottles of Synthetic (PP) it won't hurt to add 30% syn to your PYB - why not ? I would rathor run a synblend in the winter if I had a choice - for summer it doesn't matter .

Don't sweat the small stuff. Do you honestly think mixing 1 qt of PP with 4qts of PYB is going to be a problem? It probably isn't going to do much but it sure isn't going to hurt anything.JMHO

You live in Michigan.
Your car takes five quarts.
Go to Meijer, buy two gallon jugs of clearance PP 5W-30 at $14.00 each, use the quarts your friend has for you to make up two five quart changes, and you have winter covered.
Register a car with Pennzoil and get a $20.00 rebate on the PP you bought.
Cheap, easy and maybe better for the winter ahead.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You live in Michigan.
Your car takes five quarts.
Go to Meijer, buy two gallon jugs of clearance PP 5W-30 at $14.00 each, use the quarts your friend has for you to make up two five quart changes, and you have winter covered.
Register a car with Pennzoil and get a $20.00 rebate on the PP you bought.
Cheap, easy and maybe better for the winter ahead.

Only wish meijer still had some left....long gone here.

Planning on the rebate- might still go with some PP anyways.

And just pick up a few more quarts for my Cavalier when the FS runs out....

Originally Posted By: dparm
I wouldn't bother mixing. No telling how the add packs will work together (or against each other).

The only thing I can think of would be a powerful cleaning.
wink.gif

But it is a good point...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back