How long to let car cool off before Oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting ready to change oil in the F150, I just drove about 3 miles from Wally World. How long should I wait before changing it? TIA

After 3 miles, the oil hasn't even reached its normal operating temp. No need to wait at all, IMO. Or wait 10 mins if you wish.

The quickie oil change shops don't wait, why should you???

Assuming you had to drive to Wally World and didn't camp out over night, the oil is surely hot enough to change... Many people do cold changes, I prefer "hotties" myself...

Right now, or better yet go drive 5 more miles and then change it :p I like it to be close to operating temp when it comes pouring out of the engine.

The hot oil burns my skin whether I do it imediately after fully warm or wait one hour. I guess I wait 30 minutes or so as that is the time it takes me to get the oil/filter and tools out. With todays detergent oils, I think it makes little difference whether I drain fully hot or just warm as the dirt is held in suspension.

Getting burned by hot oil in summertime is uncomfortable.
And reaching around for hot oil filters is no fun, either.
If you drain it cold/cool, give it an extra minute or two to drain.

We are not using 20-50 anymore. Modern light oils drain great.

The hot oil burns my skin whether I do it imediately after fully warm or wait one hour. With todays high detergent oils, I think it makes little difference whether I drain fully hot or just warm as the dirt is held in suspension.

The trick is reaching and using elbows you don't have to get your hand in a position to take the drain plug out and pull it up. That way you don't get oil on your arms. Of course on a lift its no problem. Actually since I stopped turning wrenches for a living and started slinging Ford parts, I haven't done my own oil changes. They do make Kevlar sleeves you can put on before you do an oil change to cut down on the burns. If course with my luck the oil would pool in my latex gloves and cause extra burning.

I usually wait as long as it takes to put the car up on ramps and then go in the house and change into the clothes I wear to change oil.
In the case of the Subarus, I don't need the ramps, so all I need do is change clothes.
Oil is best drained hot, IMHO.

Hot (thin) oil drains out more completely. The recently shut-down oil carries away more contaminants. I drain the oil as soon as I'm able to get the plug out.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
The hot oil burns my skin whether I do it imediately after fully warm or wait one hour. With todays high detergent oils, I think it makes little difference whether I drain fully hot or just warm as the dirt is held in suspension.

Don't use your fingers to loosen the drain plug. Use a box end wrench to remove it....most of the time it will still be on the wrench when it comes off. Otherwise let if fall off into the pan and use a telescoping magnet to get it out. A screen over your pan is another idea.

i think the opposite, I like to go for a long drive and then let it sit over night before changing the oil. Anyone who has had to remove an oil pan before and watched how long oil drips for, knows that oil takes a long time to drip its way down to the pan. I have had a pan off my car for 2 days one time, and it was still dripping on me when I was installing the new one.

The longer the car sits, the more old/used oil will come out during an oil change. Oils will hold contaminants in suspension. no need to hurry and drain the oil to get those contaminants out, they will come out with the oil when you drain it.

The bulk of the oil will have run back into the oil pan in a minute or two. That is all you really need to worry about. If your oil change container has a screen, then just unscrew the drain plug until it plops into the oil drain container. If you have no screen, then you need to hold onto the drain plug when its fully unscrewed. I have tried to "fish" out a drain plug from a plain oil drain container (with a box end wrench) and its frustrating, not fun.

As far as the filter goes, no reason to change it when its hot. You can wait an hour or two for it to cool way down and then remove it without getting burned. In many cars the exhaust is not far from the filter, so its best if both are cool.

Bottom line is no need to change the filter and oil at the exact same time. Drain the oil somewhat quickly and take your time with the filter and adding the new oil.

Unless of course your wife is waiting.

Originally Posted By: hooligan24
i think the opposite, I like to go for a long drive and then let it sit over night before changing the oil. Anyone who has had to remove an oil pan before and watched how long oil drips for, knows that oil takes a long time to drip its way down to the pan. I have had a pan off my car for 2 days one time, and it was still dripping on me when I was installing the new one.

The longer the car sits, the more old/used oil will come out during an oil change. Oils will hold contaminants in suspension. no need to hurry and drain the oil to get those contaminants out, they will come out with the oil when you drain it.

I do not buy the "get every last drop out theory". The oil needs to be changed when its warm to hot. That way most of the contaminants are still in suspension and will flow out with the oil.

BTW, its common with marine engines to pump the oil out through the dipstick for an oil change. When that is done, upwards of 1 QT of old oil is left in. Boat owners just don't worry about it, so why worry about a few drops.

I let the oil run out until it changes from a stream to a series of drops, wipe the drain hole and put the drain plug back in.

I intentionally drive a good 30-40 minutes (to my parents house in the burbs, where I can actually work on the car) and instantly pull up on the ramps. No waiting at all for me, and all 10qt comes right out.

Maybe we should chug on over to mamby pamby land where maybe we can find some self confidence for you, you jack wagon!

what I alway did, is if im not driving long enought 20min + then I just warm she up, driving around, take to high way doing 60+mph. drove back home, jack the car up and get tool ready, rag, tower. by then car good to go, take out oil filter ( learn it ) then drain the oil, get inside watch tv, sleep, do other thing, come back few hours, check on how much oil still drip. the rest u already know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back