Totally confused about 2 stroke oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an Echo chainsaw that requires a special oil. EGD I believe it is.

I also have a 800w HF generator that requires "high quality 2 stroke oil".

Went looking for oil this morning most I'm mainly finding TC-W oils. I know these are for watercooled stuff.

Other oils do say "for aircooled engines" but no specs.

I figure that I can safely run the Echo oil in the generator as well as almost any 2-Stroke oil in it.

Can somebody explain in plain english what all the specs are? Why does my chainsaw require a special oil?

If they're referring to their "Power Blend Oil", then the EGD is a reference to the ISO-EGD specification. Also nearly (if not) identical is the JASO FD spec. Both require stringent testing of port blocking, deposits, detergency, lubricity (actually the same from EGA or FA on up) and lots of other factors. Google "Echo EGD oil" and visit their web page. If it looks like your product, then my recommendation would be to buy a ISO-EGD or JASO FD approved lube and use it for both 2 cycle engines.

Home Depot carries Echo Power Blend oil in the area with the string trimmers and chain saws. It is an excellent oil and will work in your Echo chainsaw an in your Harbor Freight generator.

The Stihl oil is excellent as well, I'd put them roughly comparable, though some may argue that the Stihl oil is slightly better. Either one will work in your applications. Stihl oil will be found in small engine/outdoor power equipment dealers and you can get the Echo oil at Home Depot. Take your pick, you can't go wrong with either.

Also, your local motorcycle dealer or motorcycle parts store (not Harley) will have the 2 stroke oil, with the proper specs, in stock.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jjones
I believe the stihl ultra is a JASO FB oil.

Yup, that is my understanding.

I just bought a new Echo blower that states the 5-year warranty requires use of higher octane gas and the higher rated SO-EGD / JASO FD oil. For that reason I'm going to stick to the PowerBlend, even though the Ultra sounds like a better oil.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

Went looking for oil this morning most I'm mainly finding TC-W oils. I know these are for watercooled stuff.

I figure that I can safely run the Echo oil in the generator as well as almost any 2-Stroke oil in it.

Can somebody explain in plain english what all the specs are? Why does my chainsaw require a special oil?

Chris, two stroke oil ratings are as follows;

API ratings are now usually only seen as TCW-3 and TC. TCW-3 is for raw water cooled boat engines that generally run lower RPM (5-6000)at constant throttle speeds. TC rating is for higher RPM (8-13,000) air and water cooled engines. The difference is in the additives, where TC contains high metallic based detergents and dispersants which the EPA doesn't want polluting the water. TCW-3 contains more organic(ester)additives which are biodegradable. The highest ratings are JASO FD and ISO-L-EGD which the Echo synthetic blend has. ANY 2 cycle oil would be fine for your generator, but for the chainsaw you should use oil thats API TC, JASO FD or ISO-L-EGD rated.

Originally Posted By: 2cycleguy

Chris, two stroke oil ratings are as follows;

API ratings are now usually only seen as TCW-3 and TC. TCW-3 is for raw water cooled boat engines that generally run lower RPM (5-6000)at constant throttle speeds. TC rating is for higher RPM (8-13,000) air and water cooled engines. The difference is in the additives, where TC contains high metallic based detergents and dispersants which the EPA doesn't want polluting the water. TCW-3 contains more organic(ester)additives which are biodegradable. The highest ratings are JASO FD and ISO-L-EGD which the Echo synthetic blend has. ANY 2 cycle oil would be fine for your generator, but for the chainsaw you should use oil thats API TC, JASO FD or ISO-L-EGD rated.

Correct!

And mix as per the machine manufacturer's recommendation or a bit richer. Do not use ridiculous ratios of 80 or 100:1 in air cooled engines. I know that some say their super synthetic oil will do the job but, if you want your engine to last and run strong, a bit more oil than recommended will help you do it.

I used to run 32:1 in my dirt bikes at the sand dunes and 40:1 when trail riding. Thinking 40:1 for the generator?

Chris, use the Ultra oil at 50:1, that's 2.6 oz per gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back