Should I use Lucas Transmission Fix additive ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

gn2

I've got a 2002 Toyota Camry V6. New to me, with high mileage but running really nice. The previous owner put a used transmission in about 18 months ago.

I've done two drain and fills using PetroCanada Duradrive MV ATF, marked as "Synthetic" on the bottle. From what I read, its a high quality synthetic ATF appropriate for this transmission.

What I'm wondering is if I should ALSO add a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix additive ?

I've noticed some "funny" working at low speed with this trans, it seems to "flutter" a bit, hunting a bit when you're just easing along taking your foot on and off the gas. When you put your foot into it, everything is fine and when you accelerate smoothly up to highway speed, you can't even feel the shifts...

Are there any negatives to adding the Lucas ??

I've done a few searches here and can't find anything definitive, nor even any strong opinions...

My opinion, Don't do it. I would change the filter if you haven't already done so. Also try disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes to attempt to let the transmission "relearn" your style of driving.
Dusty

I would not add anything other than the recomended ATF based on the issues you alluded to. Lucas products seem to not be highly recomended on this site. Maybe others will advance their opinions on thsi. Ed

I know that LUCAS products are generally thought of negatively on this site but I knew a guy who had over 200K on a 2001 Civic A/T using Lucas A/T additive. (I guess the trouble-prone tranny liked the thickening effect).
I prefer Lubeguard Red myself.
I wish I was able to buy that PC MV ATF here in the states.
What does it cost per quart?

+1 for Lubegard Red.

Also, dropping the pan and cleaning things out along with changing out the filter does A LOT for strange transmission issues.

That being said, are you doing drain and fills via drain plug or cooler line?

Lubegard Red if you feel the need to add something.

Otherwise stay faw away from all Lucas products.
they're nothing more than thickeners.. tranny's don't like thick oils.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
+1 for Lubegard Red.

Also, dropping the pan and cleaning things out along with changing out the filter does A LOT for strange transmission issues.

That being said, are you doing drain and fills via drain plug or cooler line?

Via drain plug...

The MV was expensive($9.99/L) because I bought it right from a gas station. I was in a hurry, the next batch will be direct from the regional supplier. Even at $9.99/L, it was the least expensive synthetic I could find anywhere here in Kingston, my next least expensive was Royal Purple at $13.50/L. Amsoil was $16./L and that was the extent of choices I had...

Thanks for the feedback on the Lucas, I'll hold off on it and look for some of this Lubegard Red stuff that does get recommended.

I agree with the others - no Lucas is needed. You also should either disconnect the battery for 10+ minutes or better yet, get the adaptives cleared for the transmission. Also check with the dealer to see if there is a reflash needed. Mine (Hyundai) had a reflash for it that solved similar problems.

Go with a Magnefine filter. But first change the factory filter and clean the pan.

Quality synthetic ATF is your best bet.

My 1994 Camry was running fine at around 220K using Amsoil ATF for the last 100K miles. It had the Magnefine.

Just wanted to update, I did three drain and fills with the synthetic and added Lubegard Platinum on the last one. I think the Lubegard is the key difference. There was little change in shift action after the first one, but it got very slightly better after the second, and immensely better after the last one. The nature of the change is a faster shift, and more solidly in gear after the shift, no more "hunting" action.
Before the change, hard acceleration produced good, but also noticeable shifts, after the last, the hard acceleration now produces very fast shifts that I can't even tell when they occur.

was gonna say-- I think your ATF was not appropriate for the trans and you were feeling TC partial modulation. LG is probably what helped... because the friction properties of the fluid likely were not correct by themselves.

M

Yeah stay away from the Lucas unless you know your tranny is shot and you are just trying to make it "seem" like it is fine to trade the car or sell it. Have used Lucas in the past to hide problems but it is not a "FIX"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back