Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a similar problem in the neighborhood. Except mine is the neighbor across the street that is trying to "restore" his dead mom's 1792 Impala I think it is. He is trying to work on the motor, but every time he starts it up it sounds like the rods want to make a hasty exit from the block. Every time I work on my car in the driveway he comes over and starts asking me questions about his car. Then he gets upset when I tell him that really I can give him no input on body work. Apparently he has a "Dihatsu guru" helping him on his.

Neighbor next door has a lifted 2006ish F150 with a 5.4 3v. It has an exhaust but it sounds tasteful. He is also a really good contractor, best neighbor to have ever trust me, especially when your house was built in the late 60s.

I have another neighbor that walks around in his front yard in a speedo, if we are lucky he has a sarong on over it. He is a really nice guy, a surgical nurse. Also really handy to have around. He has an older Chevy motorhome. I will help him when I can, but unfortunately I was asleep in class when we went over the GM feedback carbs.

I agree it is rude. I have a Flowmaster 40 series exhaust on my Jeep, and it is throaty when I get on the gas. It is just the muffler with stock size piping. This is so I can still hear the sound I like, and others won't be annoyed by it. If I come home late at night or leave early for work I slowly accelerate out of my neighborhood to be considerate of others.

I also agree that some exhausts should be illegal. My exhaust is loud, but even if I floor it I can faintly be heard at the end of my street. Some nights, I can hear loud exhausts from two towns over.

It is also an attention thing. A lot of people with loud exhausts are just trying to say "hey everybody look at me, I'm an [censored]". I have an exhaust because I like the way it sounds, not to see if I can wake up the surrounding towns. It goes back to the being courteous thing which many people don't seem to get. If those cars had much smaller pipes on their exhaust, they could still hear the sound but not be as loud.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I agree it is rude. I have a Flowmaster 40 series exhaust on my Jeep, and it is throaty when I get on the gas. It is just the muffler with stock size piping. This is so I can still hear the sound I like, and others won't be annoyed by it. If I come home late at night or leave early for work I slowly accelerate out of my neighborhood to be considerate of others.

What of other peoples' neighborhoods? I'm not being a twit, just bringing up a rhetorical question.

My road parallels a main road a block away, that goes uphill, and has a speed limit increase from 35 to 55. Not suprisingly, on summer nights, it's the venue for motorcycle drags. Some sound good. Some wake up my kids. You'd think from all the trees and shrubs and fences on the main road there were no people around to be bothered. There are, and they planted that stuff to keep the noise away!

IMO, if Borla and/or SuperSprint exhaust systems were sold @ PepBoys for $99/installed...we wouldn't have this problem.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

What of other peoples' neighborhoods? I'm not being a twit, just bringing up a rhetorical question.

My road parallels a main road a block away, that goes uphill, and has a speed limit increase from 35 to 55. Not suprisingly, on summer nights, it's the venue for motorcycle drags. Some sound good. Some wake up my kids. You'd think from all the trees and shrubs and fences on the main road there were no people around to be bothered. There are, and they planted that stuff to keep the noise away!

I was using my neighborhood as an example, I don't go ripping through neighborhoods at 6am. Even on main roads I drive like a grandma in order to help my already wonderful MPG.
grin2.gif
I'm not defending people with loud exhausts, just saying there is a way to have one and still be courteous to others.
thumbsup2.gif

I guess I was one of those loud [censored] kids for a while... I had a 99 grand am with S&S headers and a 2.5inch exhaust and a flowmaster 80 muffler... it sounded good I got complements all the time, but more like a hot rod taking off sound except from a grand am so I got the WTH?! look a lot... it was a little too loud for my taste.. and I never went over 2krpm if it was early or late..

Its totally different if the exhaust actually sounds GOOD, then its not so bad when they floor it and drive away, id just rather not be awaken to my neighbor flooring his straight piped dodge that sounds like [censored].

And as for your mexican neighbor issue, do like the others said, contact the police have them take care of it, if they dont, take matters into your own hands and take the muffler off your push mower and keep going up and down cutting the same strip next to their house at 7am, I am sure they will catch the message after the first 15mins

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't doubt that this is not due to your new "neighbors" ignorance, they probably enjoy assulting everyones ears!

My guess is that the entire effect is some sort of gang "colors" issue and the obnoxious noise from their exhaust is part of the "package" so to say essentially announcing "here I am" to other gansters.

I feel for you, I have to listen to that stupid rap music throbbing with million level decibles of bass.

I have a neighbor with a truck that has a VERY loud modified exhaust. That jerk wakes up the neighborhood at 4:30 every morning.
Then another neighbor does the same with his modified Maxda RX at 6:00.

I'm thinking of shooting expanding insulation foam up their exhausts some night.

What you need to do it crank up your car *open header* at sunrise and rattle their foundations!

I live at a intersection with a 3 way stop. Cars continuously run the stop signs. Not even "California Stops". Just running it at high speeds.

I found an old 12v siren in my parts cabinet at work. Hooked it up to a DeWalt drill battery and it made a perfect police siren sound.

Sat behind my hedges and would sound the siren when people would run the stop sign. You could see the drivers swivel their heads around looking for the cruiser and some pulled over.

Except for one blue Jetta.

This guy was a frequent offender in my neighborhood. He would rip through at high speeds with little regard for children playing or riding skateboards or bicycles.

I saw him coming. Recognized his car. Sounded the siren as soon as he hit the intersection at what I estimate to be 45-50mph.

He floored it. Wrong side of the road around some middle school aged kids on skateboards and stayed on the wrong side into a wide sweeping curve.

Decided that my "vigilante" siren scare technique was not worth it and that I was lucky he didn't plow over those skater kids or into a car coming the other way. Put it away.

Sometimes it does not help to out noise the bad neighbors.

Then I saw this in the paper about a week later:
Quote:
One Arlington teen was killed and four were hospitalized when their car went out of control about 2:30 a.m. Thursday at Fox Hunt Drive and West Sublett Road in southwest Arlington.

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner identified the dead teen as Cory Hill, 19, of Arlington. The medical examiner's office said his death was caused by a "blunt force trauma to his head and chest."

Arlington police arrested driver Michael Derek Reynolds, 19, of Grand Prairie, who faces charges of intoxication manslaughter and intoxicated assault with a motor vehicle. He was being held in the Arlington jail. Bond was set at $100,000. Police said they are awaiting results on a blood alcohol test

Witnesses told police that the blue 2002 Volkswagen Jetta was eastbound at a high rate of speed when it hit the median in the 2300 block of West Sublett Road, struck two light poles and flipped over.

Other passengers in the vehicle were identified by police as: Dizhwar Sindy, 18; Steven Vaituulala, 16; and Nabil Bader, 19; all of Arlington. All were transported to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth.

It happened about 4 blocks away from my house.

There's a kid with a [censored]-pipe 90 horsepower Corolla in my neighbourhood. Almost as annoying as a typical Harley. At least it's a manual, and he can shift reasonably well. It was pretty painful hearing the kid across the street learn how to drive manual for a few months with a [censored]-pipe Integra. He moved away from his parents' before he was competent, but he has visited a couple times since and it seems he's finally got the hang of it.

I don't like most noisy exhausts, but most people do, so I guess I can't complain too much. Gotta go along with the majority on these personal preference issues.

I hate obnoxious exhausts on anything. I also love a tasteful exhaust on just about anything. I agree it's all about consideration. I did a lot of research before getting an exhaust to be sure it was a) legal b) non offensive. If everyone did the same none of us would have these problems. Unfortunately, not everyone operates with regard for others.

My Jeep is a bit noisy (re-done y-pipe, high flow cat, Flowmaster 70, all 3" pipe from the y-merge back). However, it's not terribly loud, and is reasonably quiet if I'm gentle on the throttle or at idle. I always try to be quiet coming in and out of my neighborhood, especially early mornings or late nights.

Fortunately, it's got a pretty smooth tone, so it's not too disturbing. Even my mom, who complains about pretty much any loud exhaust, doesn't mind the sound.

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
I hate obnoxious exhausts on anything. I also love a tasteful exhaust on just about anything. I agree it's all about consideration. I did a lot of research before getting an exhaust to be sure it was a) legal b) non offensive. If everyone did the same none of us would have these problems. Unfortunately, not everyone operates with regard for others.

I listened to lots of youtube videos while deciding.
Injen was too expensive.
Steeda was too loud. (and having Steeda parts on a Mazda might make some poor Mustanger's head explode)
Racing Beat had the right combination of tone, low volume, style and price.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I'm glad to read that everyone has had the same problem with inconsiderate drivers. Don't get me wrong, I"m not hating on people who tune their motorcycles, trucks and cars. I'm just disappointing on people's inconsiderate behavior.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
I too worked shift work before retirement.

Had same problem. Made trip to police department.

They resolved the problem for me.

What did they do? Unfortunately, the flatulent exhausts are still legal!!! I guess I should visit my local Sheriff's office. I live in a factory city and people need sleep right after work or else they will get violent.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
This thread is worthless without pictures.

I would like to but I feel uncomfortable spreading images of people and people's belongings on the internet.

Originally Posted By: Popinski

I would like to but I feel uncomfortable spreading images of people and people's belongings on the internet.

Just use photoshop to blur and fuzz out things that would make them instantly indentifable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back