Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. In my neighborhood, we have people with modified V8's and Diesels and they sound very nice. They work first shift and they are considerate to not rev their engines in the morning.

Well..........things have changed. Last week, we had a family move in and unfortunately two of them have big [censored] exhausts. One guy has a 1994ish Honda Civic and another has an old school Mazda 323. What's worse is that one of them is neon orange and another is lime green. Both says "Hernandez" in the back in Gothic font. Every morning, noon, night, it doesn't matter, they rev their engines so loud and gun it down the streets.

Questions:

1. Why do people think flatulent sounds cool?
2. Why are people so inconsiderate to others, especially when moving into a peaceful neighborhood?
3. Why do people waste their money on annoying exhaust instead of using the money properly on basic repairs on the car?
4. Why aren't these illegal yet?

My Elantra is beat up and old but I take great care of it and my engine and exhaust is quiet because I used money to fix them if they're broken.

Last edited:
I know exactly what you mean I myself don't think it sounds cool there are some execptions but yes they can be quite annoying in the morning going by sometimes it doesn't matter what time it is. Carefull though there are some people on here that could get offended.

Modified V8s or Diesels with loud exhaust are just as bad as a Modified 4 cylnder...

Different Strokes for Different Folks. Go buy some earplugs or Buy their house.

Hope it helps, Jim

Quote:

3. Why do people waste their money on annoying exhaust instead of using the money properly on basic repairs on the car?

Is it evident they are not maintaining their cars; I believe no one's hobby stands up to any economic scrutiny.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

Is it evident they are not maintaining their cars; I believe no one's hobby stands up to any economic scrutiny.

I've seen a lot of pooting (since the other word is banned) Japanese cars that are also huge oil burners. Mitsubishis are usually the worst offenders. If you hear that exhaust note and see smoke, there's a good chance its an Eclipse, 3000GT, or better yet a Mirage.

Last edited:
where in ohio is this..

I'm up by akron currently.

my street is ok by me.. but go about a 1/2 mile north and its the gangsta zone.... what that thunder... noo its gunshots.

the 40 thugs spilling off the corner and into the road is kinda scary too.

My favorite is the people driving on the wrong side of the road because of parked cars.. think they have the right of way and will drive right up to you head on instead of ducking off to a side thats clear (ie end of driveway) then start honking and waving arms.

Last edited:
Loud exhausts are my pet peeve. Between the Harley's, Sake suckers, and the hot rodders the noise level can be considerable!

Just wait till you get behind the tuned diesels that BELCH black smoke when they drop the hammer. Generally too [censored] loud as well.

There are laws on the books but they are rarely enforced.

Some people equate noise with power.

One of the quickest street cars I ever saw was a very quiet GNX. You could hear the turbo and the street slicks slapping at the pavement more than you could the engine's exhaust note

I have an aftermarket exhaust (Racing Beat) but my exhaust is actually quieter than the factory exhaust on my Chrysler.

My Chrysler actually has a muffler, but is still almost as noisy as a Neon SRT/4 that came from the factory with no mufflers. Turbochargers usually sort of muffle the exhaust sound...I guess that's what the SRT engineers were counting on when they didn't include mufflers.

I never get above 30mph in my neighborhood. Throttle input is minimal and I don't think my car sees anything north of 2500 rpm so even with a (relatively quiet) exhaust, my neighbors get minimal sound.

Wish I could say the same about the MarkIV Jetta, V10 F250, and several of the motorcyclists in my neighborhood. The V10/glasspack combination sounds like [gluteus], the Volkswagen driver apparently needs everybody to know his car is turbocharged because he is constantly revving and letting it blow off, the Harley riders must need more practice taking off from a stopsign because they all rev way too high, and the sportbike riders are all 2 gear queers. Seriously. Why are you driving around at 10,000 rpm? UPSHIFT YOU IDIOT!!!!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Just wait till you get behind the tuned diesels that BELCH black smoke when they drop the hammer. Generally too [censored] loud as well.

There are laws on the books but they are rarely enforced.

I saw a jacked-up diesel pickup with a bumper sticker that read "Get Back or It'll Get Black!". Appreciate the sentiment of not tailgating, but rolling coal is lame. I'd think his truck were out of tune if I didn't know better.

There's a murdered-out Escape with a weedeater exhaust down the street from me. Fortunately it's rarely driven.

Silly Mexicans

If your offended, you don't live and experience what I do. Beat up cars with loud exhaust, odd colors, beat to heck, and lots of stickers. NO consideration for others and you better hope to god you don't get into an accident with them. They have (if any) the cheapest, local foreign insurance possible.

At least they work however.....

Out here in the sticks, you run into the tricked-out diesel trucks more often than the flatulence-can Hondas. In some ways, I find them even more annoying. I don't find the loud bloaty exhaust note of a diesel sexy at all (most hicks probably do); and the black smoke that consumes you behind them is nasty.

It's even better if they're raised just a little, and the exhaust is pointed right at your car's open window.

Hernandez in script is kinda like African Americans wearing their pants below their behind. It's hard not to stereo-type when the evidence is as loud as a late eighty's big body with the truck deck rattling from a 2000 dollar stereo in a 700 dollar car. Every police car says "To protect and to Serve". Make them serve a citation. And if your neighbors are like minded, form an organized neighborhood with city recognition, and have the ubiquitous "Neighborhood Watch" signs posted.

I'm lucky that we only hear the occasional [censored]-can equipped vehicle pass through. However, I do have a "neighbor" whose son has a late model Mustang that has a very loud, throaty exhaust. The little S.O.B. has to rev it up immediately on startup. These people live a good 200 yards away and I hear junior start his car in the morning even when all the windows in my house are closed.

I have to admit that my old Impala sported a Thrush muffler when I was in high school, so I sort of go with the flow. What I don't understand is an adult driving a loud vehicle as a daily driver - how that loud drone wouldn't get old real quick is beyond my understanding....

Because they equate loud with fast.

That's why I love the big Mercs with V12s...whisper quiet but real tire-smokers.

I've never understood the allure of an exhaust that sounds like a bad case of flatulence.

I especially don't understand the old, fat guys on loud Harley bikes-they are to mature adults as the tin can muffler ricers are to the decent young people. I guess the loud exhaust is either a cry for attention, or perhaps just some cringe-worthy social stupidity by people who don't know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back