Anybody priced a car through the Costco service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you did, then how did the savings compare to manufacturers price plans? I'm specifically targeting Ford X-plan, GM Supplier Discount, and Chrysler Affiliate Rewards pricing on new vehicles.

Like most Costco things, it's ok but you can do better. In fact I do best by emailing all the dealers in the area - most won't take the lowest ball offers, but some will come very close. I beat Costco by a couple thousand on the Honda Odyssey.

I cannot answer your question with precision about the mfr plans. They used to be good, but not so much anymore is what people have told me.

I'm interested in the answer!

If I can piggyback onto this thread, has anybody used the BJs or Sams Club Auto Buying Programs? No Costcos around here.

Go to Truecar.com for the best information on the going price for a particular new car in your area. It does not give you one price, but the range of prices paid in the recent past. This gives you the best information to know whether e.g. Costco's pricing is good.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
If I can piggyback onto this thread, has anybody used the BJs or Sams Club Auto Buying Programs? No Costcos around here.

I tried the Sams Club program a few years back when I was looking for a new Altima, and it referred my information to a dealer, and specifically a salesman I had already spoken to at a dealer. We both chuckled on the phone when we realized we already had met, since I had taken one of his cars out for a test drive a few days prior.

The Sams deal provides a discount, but I was able to get a better deal through my own negotiating. Once I determined the exact car I wanted, I did some research on the net and then shopped other dealers of the same model. I told the salesmen that as far as I was concerned Nissan, Toyota, and Honda were all comparable and I was buying whoever offered me the best deal. You can't give up that you're already sold on the car, and you still must be capable of walking. At the time, the Toyota dealers were blowing out the Camry's for the next gen. and I used that to work a better deal. That same salesman that Sams referred me to, got my business. I went back to him and cut his Sams offer and we were able to make a deal.

Most educated buyers should be able to get a better price through their own negotiating. Adding to what Pablo said, most Costco services are barely acceptable price-wise, so if all else fails, they are generally a good fallback option.

I recently tried it, and was not impressed. However, it was the "dealer", not Costco. I did some reading prior to trying the program. Most stated you simply get $1000 off invoice. This could be a good deal in addition to rebates. I completed a quick questionnaire online, and the dealer called within 1 day. I was told to see 1 of 6 qualified Costco salespeople at the dealership. They knew when I was coming. None were there. No one knew anything about the program. I was supposed to received a paper with prices noted: MSRP, Invoice, and Costco price. It didn't happen. The dealer is very large -- not small-town. IN theory, I thin the plan could work. If one can get $1K off invoice, this would be better than X-plan pricing (example for Ford).

Last edited:
A grand under invoice? That's a good starting point.

My last new car purchase, in 2004, used Ford's X-plan, and was as easy a deal as I've ever experienced. From walking in the dealership door to signing the initial documentation was maybe 15 minutes. They showed me the paperwork, said this is your price, took off all the incentives, and that was that. No haggling, no pressured sales tactics, no hand-wringing over a few dollars, if the Costco service is as easy and starts at a grand under invoice, then maybe I'll join Costco just to buy a car.

Originally Posted By: lyle
A grand under invoice? That's a good starting point.

That's unlikely. Most of these programs are priced at a few hundred bucks over invoice. I think XS650 bought his TL through Costco, and he paid a bit over invoice.

With the way car pricing is headed, most cars are going to be selling near MSRP. If you look at some of the new models, there's very little "room" between invoice and MSRP-- often under $1500, if not $1000. There's little reason for a dealer to go into their holdback, either, unless they really need to move a car.

Had I actually received the proper paperwork from dealer, I would have known the actual prices.

I also used to buy at X-plan. It was quite nice & easy. No haggling. No "Doc Fees". X-Plan was typically around invoice + any additional incentives.

bump..please post if there are any more experiences for Costco pricing. I am interested in Acura.

Last edited:
I tried to purchase a Honda Fit on the Costco program. My local dealer was on the Costco list, but there he clearly did not want to play by the rules.

The car was "Costco" discounted to $16K and change from $18K. The dealer then had the longest list of added on fees I have ever seen, not mods or upgrades, simple fees. The cost was close to the original price. Then came tax, tag and so on. That was a zero savings type deal.

I walked away and I am glad I did.

Unnecessary and gimicky in my opinion. For people who don't know how to/want to bargain on their own or get put off by the whole new car buying process. You can get better deals on your own if you know what you're doing. Remember, Costco has to make their $$ too on the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back