Sludge - Prone engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A dealer has a 1999 Intrepid I was looking at for a friend of mine who lives a little farther away (He saw it online). I saw the car, it is in great condition and the motor is almost silent. The only concern I have is the motor. It has the 2.7L V6. I looked it up on Car Complaints and it said the 2.7L is prone to sludge related engine failure. He is better than me when it comes to changing oil, his Trailblazer gets Mobil 1 every 3K. Do you think the sludge problem could be prevented with 3-4K oil changes? Also, does anyone have experiance with the Dodge 2.7L? TIA!!!

I do not have first hand experience with one but you are right the 2.7 is a notorious sludger. Some other "sludging" engines seem to do fine with frequent OCI's and quality oil, but I'm not sure I'd lump the 2.7 into that group as it's one of the worst.

Hopefully someone with first hand experience with a 2.7 that's been well maintained will chime in as I'd like to know too.

Hi.

There is nothing you can really do. Even with high quality engine oils, changed at short intervals, a "sludge-prone" engine may still develop sludge because of a design problem. Poor design of the lubrication and crankcase ventilation systems, as well as the tendency for oil and oil vapors to accumulate in certain spots, will cause sludge.

I too, do not have any experience with this engine, but as one who designs engines for a living, I can only offer those opinions.

HA! First hand experience, right here.

I've owned two, a 2002 and 2001 (still have the 01).

The 2002 saw a lot of miles, and typical non-BITOG maintenance (longer OCI's, non-syn oil). The oil light started to flicker at stops when engine was hot, then steadily progressed to stay on more and more. I never got to figure out if it was sludge or the oil sending unit, because the transmission died. I sold it right after that.

The 2001 we still own. It currently has around 113K on it, and runs great, except for a little "grumbling" at idle. Lifters, valves, not sure. Someone I asked about it on here said not to worry about it too much. When it was around 75K, the oil light started flickering when hot, at idle. I immediately switched to PP, and never had the issue again. Nothing changed except the oil I used. I also never go past 7K OCI's. I drive it gently, because it's paid off and I want it to last. I also keep an eye on the PCV system and look for possible antifreeze contamination. The water pump is not ideally located on the engine.

As long as it gets 3-5k oil changes (5 being syn), it will be fine.

I have a neighbor with a sebring with 202k on it with 4.5k oil changes with whatever syn is cheapest at the time...

My wife has a 2006 Dodge Stratus with the 2.7 engine. She bought it brand new, and it has 113,000 on it now. Oil changes have been done every 3-5K miles with Quaker State 5w30 (non synthetic). We recently had a timing chain tensioner put on it, and something else due to coolant having a slow leak, and the mechanic at the Dodge place said the motor was fine. It doesn't make any noise, doesn't smoke, and it has plenty of power. I don't know how much longer it will run, but right now, it runs as good as it ever did as far as I can tell.

I would stay away from the 2.7L. I had a 2002 dodge stratus with the 2.7L. Awesome car, quick and decent mpg. I really really liked the car until..... it blew a head gasket and overheated at 112k at 1am in the morning on my way home from the hospital. Normal maintenace, even changed coolant at 75k at the dealership. These are very very bad engines if you need to work on them, blown headgasket= new engine due to the engine design. It has be to pulled out of the car to replace the gasket but there is usually other damage once you blow it. Main reason it is a sludger engine is due to the headgasket design letting coolant into the oil. I loved the car but after having that happen I wont own another dodge 2.7L

Last edited:
If you purchase it....I would suggest using PYB...known for its good cleaning abilities.....and an OCI of 3 to 4K.

IMO...It makes no sense to use a synthetic.....in a known sludger....that needs short OCI's.

Originally Posted By: thomasew
My wife has a 2006 Dodge Stratus with the 2.7 engine. She bought it brand new, and it has 113,000 on it now. Oil changes have been done every 3-5K miles with Quaker State 5w30 (non synthetic). We recently had a timing chain tensioner put on it, and something else due to coolant having a slow leak, and the mechanic at the Dodge place said the motor was fine. It doesn't make any noise, doesn't smoke, and it has plenty of power. I don't know how much longer it will run, but right now, it runs as good as it ever did as far as I can tell.

Apparently their were some major changes made to that engine for 2005 to solve the sludge issue, so you have a good one.
It is the 2004 and earlier 2.7L V/6s that had the problem. It is well known that these engines would commonly fail in the 60k to 70k mile range (regardless of how well maintained they were), but there will always be some exceptions.

My 01 Concorde has the 2.7L @ 141K, Org everything... Oil changed 3200 miles, every 3200 miles.. the WATERPUMP gasket failed, and dumped coolant in to the oil, not the headgasket. The engine is spotless, runs as quite as a honda V6, has pretty decent power for a 2.7L.. Just have to keep up on the WP, TC, issues.

Run from this car as fast as you can. These 2.7s are terrible, and the earlier ones were the worst. They have sludge problems, timing chain problems, water pump problems - you name it.

I had a '99 2.7 Intrepid for a month. Bought it used on a whim, and after reading online (yes, I bought first and then did research) I resold it as soon as the state sent me the title.

The Intrepid looks nice, drives nice but that engine is a ticking time bomb. If you are really after an Intrepid, find a 3.2.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Thanks guys, what about the 3.0L V6 found in the Stratus? Anyone has experiance with those?

Funny you mention that, I also owned one of those! I had a 2001 3.0 V6 (only available in the 2 door). Bought it new and had it for 3 years. It was fine while I had it and was fun to drive. Very strong body - there was like no twisting when you turned. They are the same as an Eclipse. I don't think they held up well as they aged, with just a lot of overall problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back