Cars for taller people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im looking for a good commuter car, I'm about 6ft 1in. I have a list of cars that I like but not sure how the fit will be. Here is my list:

1. Dodge Intrepid
2. Dodge Stratus
3. Dodge Durango
4. Pontiac Sunfire/Cavalier
5. Ford Ranger

TIA guys, I appreciate it!

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I would imagine any one of them would be fine. I would go with a Sunfire/Cavalier of those.

+1

As far as the Ranger goes, get an extended cab. Since you're looking plenty of interior room and not to feel cramped, the regular cab is not for you. For a commuter you should probably go with the 4 cylinder or maybe the 3.0 V6. The 4.0 V6 will get you about 17 mpg. The (2001+) 4 cylinder can get you 28+ mpg, and the 3.0 will get about 21. 1998+ 4 cylinders are only available in 2wd.

My parents had a dodge stratus. It was a really nice car.

I think they are known for head gasket issues though. Once that is sorted, it would likely be a very dependable and economic vehicle. It seemed to have plenty of room. I'm 5'10" and I think there was tons of room to slide the seat back 3 more inches.

A big +1 on the Extended-cab Ranger. Dad got a regular-cab (which is now mine) and it's not exactly roomy.

Also, don't assume the larger car will fit better. My favorite example is the '99 Malibu I used to have. My choice at the time was either a 99 Lumina or 99 Malibu, and the Malibu was actually a better fit for me than the Lumina. There was something with the dash setup where I just couldn't fit my legs comfortably underneath.

I'm 6'1" by the way.

Of the list, I'd look at #1 or #2. The Durango might use too much gas for commuting.

6'1" is not that tall. If you were 6'5" + Id recommend a Subaru forester or a Honda Element. Yo can wear a 5 gallon hat in those. On the minus side of the equation, I dont find the seat width accomodating to those of larger girth, though.

Any of those cars would be fine - as would most cars. 6'1" isn't that tall. I'm 6'3" and fit fine in my Golf or the front seats of our New Beetle.

If you want front headroom, you'll be hard pressed to find a better car than the VW New Beetle (haven't sat in a New New Beetle, but it looks to be a bit lower in the front). I could wear a sombrero and still have several inches between it and the headliner in that car.

I am 6'2 and my son is 6'4, the cars in my sig are no problem for us, as a matter of fact I dont even have the seat in the escape all the way back for me. Any car other than maybe a subcompact should fit you.

A Ranger Super Cab should have plenty of room for you. You can adjust the seats much more than in the regular cab, plus the dry storage space is convenient.

I have driven my '02 Ranger Super Cab 3.0 from NC to VT/NH, and many times to AL and back, and never wished I had something else. It works great as a daily commuter vehicle and on long trips with no passengers.

My truck gets about 22-24 MPG on the highway, which I consider pretty good for a V6 automatic pickup. A Duratec I4 should do noticeably better than that and is still a pretty peppy engine. The Duratec was available in Super Cabs from 2003 on and is pretty common on '10/'11 Super Cabs since the 3.0 was dropped.

Personally, I really like the 3.0 V6. It tows a 3,000+ lb trailer nicely and is a great highway cruiser. Fuel economy in town and on E85 isn't so great (15-17), but the highway fuel economy is good. It's not the most powerful engine or most economical, but it is very reliable and good in all other aspects.

I'm 6-1 and the only cars I've ever had headroom problems in were those with sunroofs. I usually have problems with knee room for the right leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back