General Altimax Arctic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever used General Altimax Arctic winter tires on their car? If so how are they?

Thanks for the input guys

Got them on my nissan versa, east coast blizzards last season, man oh man were they a life-safer. Cant get better than then at all.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Got them on my nissan versa, east coast blizzards last season, man oh man were they a life-safer. Cant get better than then at all.

Im thinking about putting them on my altima coupe, how did the versa do when it came to the initial deep snow? last season, big improvement? It was terrible here on long island last season i got stuck 5 times with the yokohama avid envigors, yes i know they are all seasons.

How do the General Altimax Artic's hold up against their more expensive competitors? anyone have experience with the blizzaks,conti extreme winter contact,michelin ETC....

Compared to the Nokian Hakka RSi... in the snow it was transparent. When it is not snowing... the Generals were extremely squirmy. The Nokians, despite the heavy siping, weren't really squirmy.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Compared to the Nokian Hakka RSi... in the snow it was transparent. When it is not snowing... the Generals were extremely squirmy. The Nokians, despite the heavy siping, weren't really squirmy.

I would have expected the exact opposite of the above^^^.

Good to know, Thanks for the info!
thumbsup2.gif

I guess I'll start saving for the latest Hakkas.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

What size were you running?

Being in North 'Jersey, the Hakkapelitta R (replacement of the RSi) is probably more winter tire than you really need. Unless you're driving inland to go skiing or something, the Nokian WR G2 or any of the Performance Winter tires on the market would probably suit your needs better than a full-on winter tire that's not so great on just wet or dry pavement.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Being in North 'Jersey, the Hakkapelitta R (replacement of the RSi) is probably more winter tire than you really need. Unless you're driving inland to go skiing or something, the Nokian WR G2 or any of the Performance Winter tires on the market would probably suit your needs better than a full-on winter tire that's not so great on just wet or dry pavement.

I would agree with you IF I were driving an AWD/FWD low powered/low numerically gear ratioed car.

THIS car needs MUCH MORE traction (370+ hp/torque to the wheels, 3.73 axle ratio, 54/46 weight ditribution) to go up a snowy/icy incline than the high performance, H rated winter rubber could ever possibly muster, EVEN brand new.
How do I know this, you ask? My current winter setup is Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2s on the stock snowflake alloys.

Like you've stated; GREAT on cold, dry pavement, all but useless on snowy/icy inclines.

That being said, I would be willing to try the WR G2s over the Rs IF I could be money back guaranteed in writing that they have MORE bite than the BEST OF the rest of the H rated hi-po winter donuts out there.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

I would agree with you IF I were driving an AWD/FWD low powered/low numerically gear ratioed car.

THIS car needs MUCH MORE traction (370+ hp/torque to the wheels, 3.73 axle ratio, 54/46 weight ditribution) to go up a snowy/icy incline than the high performance, H rated winter rubber could ever possibly muster, EVEN brand new.
How do I know this, you ask? My current winter setup is Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2s on the stock snowflake alloys.

Like you've stated; GREAT on cold, dry pavement, all but useless on snowy/icy inclines.

That being said, I would be willing to try the WR G2s over the Rs IF I could be money back guaranteed in writing that they have MORE bite than the BEST OF the rest of the H rated hi-po winter donuts out there.
smile.gif

Well Considering i have a very torquey VQ35 in the altima coupe, im going to need something to cope with that power,the stockers are 215/55/17 IDK dont ask me why such a tall aspect ratio. for the snow tires i dont want too scratch my new wheels up. I usually start off in second if its really bad, but let off the clutch in first real slow and fell it bite and ease into the throttle. IDK if i want to keep OEM size tires for the WINTERS or change it, problem being no more money. so i most likely would habe to go with OEM size, which if you think about it has tall sidewall not goos for performance but good for snow. what do you guys think GUYS? BTW Nokians i know are great but they are quite pricey for the Grambo Budget.

No winter tire is going to perform miracles, i.e. give you good performance on wet or dry pavement and be able to get you through the worst snow you're likely to see. I have to ask Grambo - where in NY? It's a big state with lots of different weather conditions throughout the winter. If you're just about anywhere upstate, I'd say go with the Generals - they're about the cheapest winter tire you'll find and they'll get you through pretty much anything. No, they're not going to perform like a summer tire on dry pavement, but again, no winter tire is going to perform miracles.

There must be a 15 or 16" steel wheel that'll clear your brakes, that you can get for $20 at the junkyard. A smaller tire should be about this much cheaper. Even tirerack has new steel wheels specifically meant for snow for not too much money... you can have them mount and balance and deliver.

+1 on the Altimax Arctic. I've run them and they are even quite nice on pavement. My poorly insulated car doesn't transfer to the passengers the howl of knobbier snows with these.

No winter tire is going to perform miracles, i.e. give you good performance on wet or dry pavement and be able to get you through the worst snow you're likely to see. I have to ask Grambo - where in NY? It's a big state with lots of different weather conditions throughout the winter. If you're just about anywhere upstate, I'd say go with the Generals - they're about the cheapest winter tire you'll find and they'll get you through pretty much anything. No, they're not going to perform like a summer tire on dry pavement, but again, no winter tire is going to perform miracles.

I live on long island, i know all parts of new york gets varied amounts of snow i dont live in buffalo,syracuse or upstate. i live around 30 miles from the city. Im not looking for miracles im looking for a reasonable snow tire that has excellent performance in the snow, I understand its not All Season or Summer Performance tire im not looking for that. Down the line when more cash comes my way i will have a set of dedicated summer performance tires and wheels. All i want to know is that they will give me helping hand when it comes to getting out in the snow.

Thanks for the input guys much appreciated

YES, your car being FWD (despite the relative power), the Generals will be just FINE!
thumbsup2.gif

If you lived ALL of the way out on the East End, you could even get by easily on good all seasons.
wink.gif

Yeah Grambo - I think you'd be far better off finding a set of 16" wheels - you're going to be saving about $40 a tire the first time around which would pay for used wheels, and you'd save that money again when the tires need to be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back