Cleanest Engine You've Seen - What OCI & oil used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes when working on an older vehicle, it's just surprising to see how clean some engines are when looking through the fill cap or removing the valve cover or intake.

I'm sure there are some out there with stories to tell about an engine they've seen with high mileage. Please share what you've witnessed over the years.

I used to work at a dealership many years ago. There was one customer that used to bring his own oil which was conventional Shell Fire and Ice 10w-30 (I believe that was the predecessor to conventional Formula Shell) to use in his vehicle and the first thing I immediately observed when taking the oil fill cap off was that the engine looked like new.

I mean I’m talking about a vehicle that had many miles (over 140K) on it! I ended up changing the oil on this vehicle many times afterwards using the Shell oil that he brought. The engine was spotless when I first started doing the oil changes on it and it had many miles and it remained that way until I ended up leaving the dealership.

I actually spoke with the owner about how long he owned it (since new) and did he always use Shell and he said yes. That particular vehicle and the details around it just stuck with me long after leaving that dealer.

Conversely, the oil that the dealership used did not keep engines nearly as clean as that conventional Shell did. I’m speaking in terms of other customers that kept up with their maintenance routine as well as the Shell user did and their engines had noticeable varnish. Not sludge, but very noticeable varnish.

Anyway, what I’m getting at is please share your stories about engines that you’ve seen that were pretty much spotless after many, many miles of usage. Share the type of oil, viscosity and other details you consider to be important.

I’m curious to hear what others have to say.

35.gif

Valvetrain pics, 187k miles, Mitsu 4g15

I'd say the engine in my Mirage is in remarkable shape considering it:
- Had a thermostat stuck open and a radiator fan running constantly for ~30k miles/3 years and would no exceed ~140ish coolant temperature
- Had a bad O2 sensor for ~30k/3 years and as such ran incredibly rich for ~30k miles
- Had an unknown service history
- Blew a head gasket around ~30k miles ago

I was stunned by how clean the thing was. There's only a slight amount of varnish on the exhaust side of the head. It was likely maintained just down the road from where I live at a little hole-in-the-wall service station using whatever their bulk fill 10w-30 was.

Last edited:
I just changed the timing belt in my wife's Ford Focus with 183,000 plus miles and I must say you could eat off the cams. No varnish and they looked brand new.
I have used a variety of oils. A lot of Mobil 1 and just recently 2 oil changes with Royal Purple,1 change with Formula Shell and now Amsoil. Will start using Havoline in the Focus from now on with Pennzoil Platinum (First time use) in the Winter OCI.
Not sure what this all means but thought I would share my experiences.

19.gif

Last edited:
6.0 L ford diesels properly maintened look like new inside at 2 and 300k, probobaly any diesel will be clean if properly serviced

Cleanest I`ve seen is mine :^) My oci is always 3/3000. Oils used,Pennzoil,Valvoline,Mobil 1,and this oci was Royal Purple.
aw9g07.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
6.0 L ford diesels properly maintened look like new inside at 2 and 300k, probobaly any diesel will be clean if properly serviced

I'm surprised you've seen 300K miles trucks with the original 6.0 in them.

Hi,
qdeezie - I realise this is the PCMO Forum but "OT" my comments relate to heavy high speed diesel engines

Cleanest was my own DD Series 60 at 1.2m kms (750k miles)
OCIs were 90kkms (56k miles) and the lubricant was Delvac 1 5W-40

Over the last 50 years I have noticed that the cleanest engines have always been those using the following Brands of lubricants - in that order

Delvac
Shell - Rotella/Rimula
Delo

The dirtiest engines have been those using non oEM Approved lubricants followed by those with "irregular" OCIs

2011 VW Jetta 2.5l

It's all the way up to 4000 miles. It's had only two oil changes with M1 0w40 and some how, by the grace of all that's good, the engine is still spotless!
happy2.gif

LOL.

Hey, hey. The 6.0L runs GREAT with studs, egr delete, coolant filter and oil cooler relocation, with a frequent "drive it like you stole it". My buddy had an 05 with 291k in his shop yesterday getting the coolant filter changed.. It ran Flawless
Most people ARE uneducated about the 6L and thus the reputation..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
Hey, hey. The 6.0L runs GREAT with studs, egr delete, coolant filter and oil cooler relocation, with a frequent "drive it like you stole it". My buddy had an 05 with 291k in his shop yesterday getting the coolant filter changed.. It ran Flawless

Still doesn't address the fact that the valve-train setup side loads valves and wears out the guides at relatively low mileage.

Next time I'm over at the Ford dealer I'd be happy to snap a shot of a torn down 6.0 or 6.4, there's literally one there at all times. I can't say the same about any other engine installed in a Ford in the last 20 years.

It would be a tie between my ranger that had 412k and used Mobil ! 5w30 for 390k, or my zx2 with 202,xxx using royal purple. Both=SPOTLESS

Cleanest engine I've ever looked in was a '59 Edsel with 292 Y-block. Had 66k miles on it. I'd opened the cover to adjust the valves and everything looked new or nearly new besides adjustment needed. Previous owner claims no internal work ever done and used 10W-30 valvoline later and 30w valvoline early in it's life.

As long as you change it and use a name brand oil it will stay clean.

People only have problems when they go like 20k miles or in the case of a BMW floating around on here 60k miles without changing it.

I've used M1 oils since 1978 and all my engine have remained very clean. Some engines with 200-300+ K and 10K OCIs. At presant both Duratechs look like new through the oil fill hole. No varnish or discolaration.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
As long as you change it and use a name brand oil it will stay clean.

I almost agree with you... I'd like to re-word it to "API Spec" Oil. Most auto part store brands get the job done with no sludge or varnish problems.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Still doesn't address the fact that the valve-train setup side loads valves and wears out the guides at relatively low mileage.

Next time I'm over at the Ford dealer I'd be happy to snap a shot of a torn down 6.0 or 6.4, there's literally one there at all times. I can't say the same about any other engine installed in a Ford in the last 20 years.

We have not seen too many problems out of the 6.4s where I work. I think any engine will start to give out when you program it for 250 more horsepower or deliver camper trailers for a living. Not saying they are bulletproof but I believe them to be a huge improvement over the 6.0.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

We have not seen too many problems out of the 6.4s where I work. I think any engine will start to give out when you program it for 250 more horsepower or deliver camper trailers for a living. Not saying they are bulletproof but I believe them to be a huge improvement over the 6.0.

Coming from my Ford diesel technician buddy, and what I see in the dealerships, the 6.4s are almost worse than the 6.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back