GM Dexos Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I know you are supposed to use a Dexos Approved oil in all new GM cars. The NAPA Synthetic 5w30 I just bought states that it exceeds Dexos specs. Now, I dont need that for my truck of course, but NAPA synthetic is not on the Dexos list, as are oils like Redline, even though there website states that it meets Dexos specs. So, could you use oils that are not approved but meet the specs, or do they have to be approved? TIA

I have Napa SYN 5W-30 API SN and it doesn't state Dexos 1 anywhere on the bottle. If yours does, can you post a pic? I'm thinking if the oil says Dexos 1 you can use it.

You are not technically required to use a Dexos approved product for new GMs. Althought if it was in warranty I wouldn't risk it. The OM on the new GM says you can use other oil with the proper API and ratings in the case if Dexos oil is unavailable

Here is the pic. You can see it right above where it says SYNTHETIC

NAPASYN.jpg

I would use it and save the receipt and bottle. I don't think any damage will happen to your engine but if it does you will have the receipt and bottle stating that it is Dexos 1 certified. Napa will then have to cover the cost of your engine repair if in fact it was due to their oil causing the damage.

There are several oil companies that have decided they will not pay the price of the qualification test to GM (big $$$). Valvolene, makers of NAPA synthetic, is one of them. Somewhere I have read that these companies have sued in Federal court to have the FTC stop GM from the licensing process. (If anyone has further knowledge of this case, please help by posting a link).FWIW--Oldtommy

Good article here

What Is Happening With Dexos: Dexos spec...or independents

Sounds like Valvoline is not on board the dexos train.

Quote:
One company that has come out strongly against the dexos licensing requirements is Ashland Inc., makers of Valvoline lubricants even though the company has said it has oils that meet the dexos requirements.
"We have products that meet all the requirements and have gone through all the testing, but we chose not to license them," said Thom Smith, vice-president for branded lubricant technology, Valvoline. "Additive suppliers routinely submit formulation for approval of specifications and we chose formulation for our products that were approved for licensing. We have three products that meet all the requirements: SynPower 5W-20 and 5W-30, and DuraBlend 5W-30.
Smith added GM created the dexos specification by "taking some of the requirements of API, some of the requirements for ACEA and some engine tests on their own, and put together a specification of their own. It does take some additional chemistry to pass all those tests as compared to the basic ILSAC GF-5 type products. There are also some different physical requirements that are more stringent than API."

Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa
I would use it and save the receipt and bottle. I don't think any damage will happen to your engine but if it does you will have the receipt and bottle stating that it is Dexos 1 certified. Napa will then have to cover the cost of your engine repair if in fact it was due to their oil causing the damage.

There is a big difference between exceeding Dexos certification and being Dexos approved/certified. It is not Dexos certified but it exceeds the requirements to be Dexos oil.

Originally Posted By: volk06

There is a big difference between exceeding Dexos certification and being Dexos approved/certified. It is not Dexos certified but it exceeds the requirements to be Dexos oil.

Napa is stating it exceeds the Dexos 1 specs. All oil companies have insurance on their oil if the oil alone has been proven to cause engine damage. So in this case he would be covered if he used it and it caused damage to his engine.

Full synthetic oil exceeds 'blends'. And since Dexos spec. is a strong 'blend', any synthetic will exceed that spec.
A strong blend meets the GM specs for Dexos, the specs doesn't CALL for a blend, but their spec is set at the 'blend' level of oil.
Still, the owner's manual says you CAN use regular 5W-30 'if need be', so I doubt that GM is going to try and avoid any engine warrantee claim by saying 'you used the wrong oil'.

Originally Posted By: volk06

Napa is stating it exceeds the Dexos 1 specs. All oil companies have insurance on their oil if the oil alone has been proven to cause engine damage. So in this case he would be covered if he used it and it caused damage to his engine.

thumbsup2.gif

2011 Corvette Owners manual on oil...

This vehicle was filled at the factory with dexos 1 approved engine oil.

Notice: Use only engine oil that is approved to the dexos specification or an equivalent engine oil of the appropriate viscosity grade. Engine oils approved to the dexos 1 specification will show the dexos symbol on the container. Failure to use the recommended engine oil or equivalent can result in engine damage not covered by the vehicle warranty. If you are unsure whether the oil is approved to the dexos specification, ask your service
provider.

It is recommended to use Mobil 1® engine oils that meet the requirements of the dexos 1 specification.

Use of Substitute Engine Oils if dexos is unavailable:

In the event that dexos 1 approved engine oil is not available at an oil change or for maintaining proper oil level, you may use substitute engine oil displaying the API Starburst symbol and of SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade.

Use of oils that do not meet the dexos specification, however, may result in reduced performance under certain circumstances.

Viscosity Grade

SAE 5W-30 is the best viscosity grade for the vehicle. Do not
use other viscosity oils such as SAE 10W-30, 10W-40 or 20W-50.

I'm surprised they don't authorize 10w30 anymore.

2011 Corvette Owners manual on oil...

This vehicle was filled at the factory with dexos 1 approved engine oil.

Notice: Use only engine oil that is approved to the dexos specification or an equivalent engine oil of the appropriate viscosity grade. Engine oils approved to the dexos 1 specification will show the dexos symbol on the container. Failure to use the recommended engine oil or equivalent can result in engine damage not covered by the vehicle warranty. If you are unsure whether the oil is approved to the dexos specification, ask your service
provider.

It is recommended to use Mobil 1® engine oils that meet the requirements of the dexos 1 specification.

Use of Substitute Engine Oils if dexos is unavailable:

In the event that dexos 1 approved engine oil is not available at an oil change or for maintaining proper oil level, you may use substitute engine oil displaying the API Starburst symbol and of SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade.

Use of oils that do not meet the dexos specification, however, may result in reduced performance under certain circumstances.

Viscosity Grade

SAE 5W-30 is the best viscosity grade for the vehicle. Do not
use other viscosity oils such as SAE 10W-30, 10W-40 or 20W-50.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Full synthetic oil exceeds 'blends'. And since Dexos spec. is a strong 'blend', any synthetic will exceed that spec.
A strong blend meets the GM specs for Dexos, the specs doesn't CALL for a blend, but their spec is set at the 'blend' level of oil.
Still, the owner's manual says you CAN use regular 5W-30 'if need be', so I doubt that GM is going to try and avoid any engine warrantee claim by saying 'you used the wrong oil'.

Way over simplistic. 'Any' synthetic does not automatically exceed the Dexos specs.

Originally Posted By: MonumentOiler
A little more dexos news with the licensing fee schedule :

GM offers dexos details - from Lube Report

Quote:
Licensees will pay a $1,000 annual fee for each product, plus a royalty of 36 cents on every gallon of dexos they sell.

Yowzzers!
39.gif
$0.36 per gallon!!

That means GM gets from $1.44 (4 qt) to $2.52 (7 qt) of pure profit every time anyone in the world gets an oil change using dexos approved oil. That's a lot of vig.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Here is the pic. You can see it right above where it says SYNTHETIC

NAPASYN.jpg

I picked up 28 quarts of this oil and not one of the SN quarts has this on the front. Guess you got a most current batch.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy

Yowzzers!
39.gif
$0.36 per gallon!!

That means GM gets from $1.44 (4 qt) to $2.52 (7 qt) of pure profit every time anyone in the world gets an oil change using dexos approved oil. That's a lot of vig.

Huh...I thought there were 4 qts in a gallon...is this a metric trick question???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back