Just inherited JD LT166, need advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. Just inherited a JD LT166 riding mower that didn't come with a manual. It's in good shape. Just need tips on what i need to do to keep it running tip top. I plan to change the oil but don't know the required weight. Clean/replace the air filters. I've also read a few posts about dropping and changing the oil in the tranny but that task seems daunting at this time but as i get more familiar with it i'm sure i'll get it done. Anything else i should do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Basic service is easy so do all that stuff first.. Spark plugs, A/F, and Pre Filter, as well as the Fuel filter shouldn't take ya more then 5-10 min.. Be sure to "lightly" oil the A/F Prefilter.. "Lightly" is important, too much and you will soak the A/F and the unit won't run..

We use Koh 10-30 Oil in every unit we repair/service as it is allegedly blended specifically for air cooled motors..
I would imagine most any quality 10-30 would be fine.

Check you deck and drive belts and if needed only use OEM belts for replacement.
Try not to impact anything substantial as the deck shells are thin and the deck hangers are pretty cheesy.

Make sure you blow the deck off after each use and pay particular attention to the area around the spindles. Accumulation of dirt and grass will remove the paint and rot the deck. No need for water or a detail cleaning just use your blower when your done mowing.. In fact I highly recommend blowing off the entire unit including the area under the battery and behind the motor.

Your Hydro trans is most likely non serviceable but as long as your not trying to pull out trees or tow anything very heavy you should be just fine.

I'm not a DEERE Fan but hey FREE is always GOOD so you may as well take advantage of it..

i have a case 446, 1975. my step dad has a J.D. dont know the model. but it is a real good machine. i think the the J.D. line is about as good as it gets.

Originally Posted By: morris
i have a case 446, 1975. my step dad has a J.D. dont know the model. but it is a real good machine. i think the the J.D. line is about as good as it gets.

Nah, cant beat the old Wheel Horse`s.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: morris

Nah, cant beat the old Wheel Horse`s.

I'll second that!

oh yea i for got about wheel horse. the wheel horse and case in 1975 was the only tractors with tall rear tires. in 1975 my dad was looking at two tractors, wheel horse, case. i was working at case so the discount i got tipped the scale. but all three are more than very good tractors.

Originally Posted By: Veilside
Hi all. Just inherited a JD LT166 riding mower that didn't come with a manual. It's in good shape. Just need tips on what i need to do to keep it running tip top.

Make sure to blow off any excess grass build-up on the transaxle. I believe this model has a Tufftorq K46. Good little hydrostatic trans. You just don't want to overheat or overwork it. They're marketed as "sealed", but changing the oil on them will definitely extend the life of it. We've got some threads floating around on how to address that.

Joel

Originally Posted By: HM12460
I have 2 Wheel Horse'. A B-80 and a C-81, just sold a 312-8 speed yesterday. Very good machines.

B-80`s are a nice little tractor. Love to get a hold of one.

Thanks to all who replied and thanks for your advice. So far I've changed engine oil and filter. Blew off A/f and washed and reoiled pre-cleaner. Inspected belts and blades and all seem to be in decent shape.

Reading on different forums about the infamous Tuff-Torq k46 tranny and it's history of failure, i decided to prioritize dropping the tranny and getting the factory fill out of there and replacing with Castrol 5w-50 Full Syn since i don't currently have any problems out of the tranny yet. Did this last weekend and discovered that my tractor actually has a K51 tranny and not a K46, procedure however was essentially the same.

Results are that tractor behaves no differently. but i feel better with the factory fill 10 year old 10w-30 out of there and some fresh oil in it's place. Hopefully this keeps me from having to buy a new tranny prematurely and gives me many seasons of happy mowing in my future. Kudos to all who shared thier wisdom and to those who have contributed the DIY for dropping the tranny as that info was indispensible during my task.

How'd the old oil look in that K51?

I like the idea of TT's horizontally split cases. This makes it easier to get to the guts. I have read of owners replacing pumps/motors on them with relative ease and for pretty cheap.

Joel

surprisingly the old oil didn't look as bad as i had imagined. Didn't smell burnt or in any way odd. Actually smelt just like clean new oil. Except that it was darker in color with a bit a graphite looking sediment mixed in.

And i didn't actually take the case apart. Just tipped it over and drained the old oil out. Added some new, sloshed it around to get the remaining sediment out and refilled next day after letting drain overnight.

surprisingly the old oil didn't look as bad as i had imagined. Didn't smell burnt or in any way odd. Actually smelt just like clean new oil. Except that it was darker in color with a bit a graphite looking sediment mixed in.

And i didn't actually take the case apart. Just tipped it over and drained the old oil out. Added some new, sloshed it around to get the remaining sediment out and refilled next day after letting drain overnight.

You should be in good shape. I have a 10 year old LT155 (essentially the same tractor with a Kohler single) with 400 hours on it. I replaced the tranny oil at 300 hours with M1 EP 5w-50 and it's been fine.

Good tractor, all in all.

Yes, I wouldn't take it apart either unless I had to. It's enough of a knuckle-buster to drop the arse end to drain/fill.

You might find the parts catalog at JD Parts helpful. Plug in your model number and you can get a section by section exploded parts view of your equipment, along with part numbers. I usually use the sectional index, but it has a couple different views, along with a section for the attachments.

Parts Catalog

If you want to know the exact year, here are the serial numbers by year.

1998: 010001
1999: 045001
2000: 085001
2001: 125001

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back