How long should I leave the Mobil 1 in service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in my beloved Corolla with the plain vanilla Mobil 1 5w-30 last April. As of right now I have 2600 miles on the Mobil 1 and have had to add about a quart and a half(this is one of the oil consuming 1zz-fe engines). I would like to run this oil until October and then change it to 0W-30 for the winter. We have been having a very hot summer--our high today is 107. Therefore, the Mobil 1 is definitely receiving a heat workout...do all of you think going until October on my current fill is advisable?

That oil can easily go 5k, probably 7.5k. I wouldn't worry about ambient temps being 107, it's insignificant.

I don't know a thing about this particular Toyota engine, but what exactly is making it consume oil? Does it have bad valve stem seals? Have you considered replacing them to see what happens? Usually that's a major culprit in general when it comes to oil consumption on an otherwise good running engine.

If you're adding that much over that short of a mileage span, you can probably just change the filter every 10k and never change the oil. Every 5k you're replacing 3 quarts of high-quality syn.

If your replacing a quart and a half in that short time frame why are you wasting money on a synthetic oil. I would go with PYB and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
I don't know a thing about this particular Toyota engine, but what exactly is making it consume oil? Does it have bad valve stem seals? Have you considered replacing them to see what happens? Usually that's a major culprit in general when it comes to oil consumption on an otherwise good running engine.

I have read that the rings in these engines from the year model of 1998 through 2002 were "too soft" from the factory. As a result they consume oil. It does not have any blue smoke on startup or acceleration. I do find however my back bumper above the tailpipe if left unwashed for a long period of time builds up a bit of carbon. Actually the Mobil 1 has been the first oil to slow the consumption. With other oils, I was consuming 1 quart every 1000 miles; the Mobil 1 is being consumed at a rate of 1 quart every 2000 miles.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa
If your replacing a quart and a half in that short time frame why are you wasting money on a synthetic oil. I would go with PYB and call it a day.

I know it is probably a waste, however I just love the warm feeling of having a synthetic oil in the Corolla. Makes me feel like I am driving a REAL high-performance car
19.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa

I wouldn't waste money on PYB - get Supertech, maybe a case of 'Certified' oil from Sam's Club or whatever Costco / your FLAPS has on sale.

You might try using 5w20 to see if that helps - there is some data that suggests going to lower viscosity oil can help slow oil consumption if piston rings are to blame. Or go the other direction & try any of the high mileage oils.

Sure,man. April and October ocis for me. Same grade summer and winter. Move up to the M1 EP. 5 quarts and a M1 filter for $32-35 at Autozone promotions. They run the deal about 6-7 times per year. Good luck with it.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Sure,man. April and October ocis for me. Same grade summer and winter. Move up to the M1 EP. 5 quarts and a M1 filter for $32-35 at Autozone promotions. They run the deal about 6-7 times per year. Good luck with it.

huh??

"move up to EP"??? he'd need 2 oil change specials to make it though a single OCI with that sorta consumption. That's a 70 dollar OCI? You aren't making any sense. Why would you use that sorta lubricant when it's not even staying in the crankcase?

I agree with the Supertech suggestion.

Might want to try the M1 HM and see if it further improves consumption. No need for 0W- in the winter in Texas. Maybe the 10W-30 HM would be better.

Twice a year (or even once a year) changes make sense with your mileage. If you go to once a year change in the spring.

The heat outside will make very little difference in average oil temps assuming you have a functioning cooling system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back