Body Damage From Running Over A Cone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom said she ran over a "cone" of some kind. Somehow I think there's more to the story.

From the pictures, it appears that it will need a new front bumper cover and respray, new center underbody panel, and a new left underbody panel. I did not get an official estimate but I priced the underbody panels to be about $350 alone and the bumper is likely to be another 1k. I don't think that bumper is repairable since the crack extends from the edge?

IMAG0017.jpg

Bumper Crack:

IMAG0012.jpg

Close-Up of Bumper Crack:

IMAG0013.jpg

Underbody Panel Damage:

IMAG0016.jpg

So yeah, probably about $1300-$1400 to properly fix this. I don't know how well the pearl white paint can be matched either. Dad doesn't want to fix it (since he said it will probably happen again) and told me to just duct tape the underbody covers back together as a temporary fix.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Dad doesn't want to fix it (since he said it will probably happen again) and told me to just duct tape the underbody covers back together as a temporary fix.

Thoughts?
definitely nothing worth repeating.

It's not really noticeable unless you're looking for it. I wouldn't duct tape it, I would use some epoxy and glue it back together if that's possible. And then just replace the debris guard panel.

It should be a lot less than you quoted though. RockAuto.com sells the CAPA certified front bumper for $70 + shipping. "CAPA CERTIFIED parts bear the seal of the Certified Automotive Parts Association (http://www.capacertified.org/) guaranteeing fit and quality equal to original equipment. These parts may be required if your insurance company is paying for the repair."

To have it professionally painted & clearcoated by a body shop should cost $200 at most. Pearl white paint isn't hard to match; actually no paint is that difficult to match if it's a modern repair shop. They'd probably instal it for another $50 if you don't want to do it. The panels under the car screw in and you can get them for around $30 each. I did not see the panels for this car on RockAuto so you might have to do some digging.

Bumper $70 + $140 shipping = $210
Painting + instal $250
Underbody panels 2x $30 = $60

$520 total

My vote is definitely for the epoxy though, if it's possible.

Last edited:
Here is one of the panels for the Altima on RockAuto.

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog,69,partnum,NI1228128,d,VARIOUS_MFR_NI1228128.html

$13 + $16 shipping = $29

Just giving this so you know I didn't pull those prices out of the air. I also used Los Angelos zip code for the shipping since you live in California, I figure it'll be somewhat accurate. I realize this isn't the cover you need but it shouldn't cost you that much elsewhere for the one you need.

What is the hole for?

I would glue it with an adhesive made for whatever the plastic is, then add a large fender washer on the inside IF a fastener goes through the hole.

You guys seem to have money to burn, so for $500, maybe replace it. Downside is that the paint will never fade the same. The car is to be used.....duct tape won't hold, but she will bump into more stuff, I know it.

The bumper cover is repairable. There is a special epoxy they make for bumper cover repair. Personally I would wait for the next incident and do it all at once.

Dang that cone did a number, must have been at a relatively high rate of speed.

Yeah, could be $1000+ with bumper cover replaced and painted, which naturally is the easiest, most money making, and preferred method for a body shop especially with insurance involved.

Unless there's more damage than shown to lower engine shield, based on the RA price shouldn't be $350 to replace that part. Took that part off my 03 Altima several times for coolant flushes. Perhaps more involved than seen?

'If' you can find a shop to epoxy repair the crack and other blemishes, then shoot it, you might be able do it for $500-600. If they can line up the crack edges, cover with epoxy, smooth top and bottom, should look ok. Not sure any shop would want to mess with that though.

Or as suggested, you could just wait until it gets damaged again.

The base of a cone is pretty heavy, so if she had any speed and the cone tipped up, I could see that.

Sure, the top of a cone is light, but the bottom is pretty dense and could do some serious damage.

I agree with others, duct tape isn't the answer. But you might take it off, and put a fiberglass mesh patch on the back of it to add some support where it's not seen. Glue the crack and the fiberglass mesh to bridge the crack on the inside where it's not seen.

Get a professional body shop estimate and depending on your deductible,decide what to do. Just pulling outrages prices out of the air is useless and upsets Mothers.

By the way, I autocross routinely and hitting a cone has never done more than leave a scuff or black mark. She must've hit a big pylon or something substantial.

If it happened in a construction zone the contractor might be liable. Someone I know in a rental car hit a cone and Enterprise went after the road crew.

Even though there are big signs disclaiming liability, that might not stick. Do you have a full service insurance agent? Ask him/her.

As for the fix, I think you should go all frankenstein, drill holes in the opposing plastic across the cracks, then hook it together with zip ties.

I would perform a repair using epoxy. It may not look perfect but decent enough.

Duct tape is a temporary fix or for ducts not permanent auto repair.

Where that crack is line it back up to match each other then just leave it. People replace an entire front bumper just because they put a little parking scratch on it then the next owner wonders what really happened to have them replace everything. It's better to just leave it and say you hit a cone and have them believe you since there isn't much damage.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Get a professional body shop estimate and depending on your deductible,decide what to do. Just pulling outrages prices out of the air is useless and upsets Mothers.

Deductible is $1k, and after my last incident, I'm sure Geico is ready to drop us like a hot potato anyway. Prices I posted were from OE parts sites.

Originally Posted By: cmf
It's not really noticeable unless you're looking for it. I wouldn't duct tape it, I would use some epoxy and glue it back together if that's possible. And then just replace the debris guard panel.

It should be a lot less than you quoted though. RockAuto.com sells the CAPA certified front bumper for $70 + shipping. "CAPA CERTIFIED parts bear the seal of the Certified Automotive Parts Association (http://www.capacertified.org/) guaranteeing fit and quality equal to original equipment. These parts may be required if your insurance company is paying for the repair."

To have it professionally painted & clearcoated by a body shop should cost $200 at most. Pearl white paint isn't hard to match; actually no paint is that difficult to match if it's a modern repair shop. They'd probably instal it for another $50 if you don't want to do it. The panels under the car screw in and you can get them for around $30 each. I did not see the panels for this car on RockAuto so you might have to do some digging.

Bumper $70 + $140 shipping = $210
Painting + instal $250
Underbody panels 2x $30 = $60

$520 total

My vote is definitely for the epoxy though, if it's possible.

Thanks for the info. I'm a bit hesitant to go with aftermarket body parts since the fitment is iffy. Two of my contacts at body shops, both friends from school, quoted between $350-$500+ to respray. And that doesn't include any prep or repair time, which will be needed for the other scuffs at the bottom of the bumper. Dunno where I could get a good respray for $200 around here.

Since its so minor and those bumper skirts get damaged all the time I would Marine Tex a small piece of wood behind it to stabilize the crack, than fill it in, and paint it.

Another just rig-it vote - you can't even see that unless you're crawling on the ground.
First ding/dent is always the hardest to get over - solution: buy used and you never have to worry about that.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Since its so minor and those bumper skirts get damaged all the time I would Marine Tex a small piece of wood behind it to stabilize the crack, than fill it in, and paint it.

My suggestion is to drill a hole right on the very end of that crack to prevent it from spreading further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back