rotella for harley twin cam???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys

I thought I saw a thread around here awhile ago about use of Rotella in newer harleys - anybody got a link or information about that?

thanks!

It is thinner than what Harley recommends in their manuals. If you want a good oil that is cheaper than moto oil, many people run Valvoline VR1 in Harley motors with excellent results. The Kendall GT1 20W50 is another one they use with good results, and around here that is a syn blend for 3 bucks a quart. Thats a proper viscosity and its cheaper than rotella.

If you check your owners manual it states to use 10w40 when temperatures are below 40f. So if that is the case 15/40 would do fine as it is also a diesel rated oil, which Harley says to use if their brand isn't available. But,some of oils used in Harley's tend to shear down to an oil in the 40 wt range. Which Blackstone labs have stated in many of their uoa's, isn't a problem if it doesn't contribute to higher amounts of wear particles.I use Rotella t in my primary of my '96 year round and it performs good. During the winter months 20/50 wt oils tends to cause drag on the starter, if left sitting in my unheated garage for weeks unused.,,

Yeah but this guy is in southern cali. Winter wont be an issue. Id use VR1 or Kendall. Both give great wear numbers, are cheap, the correct viscosity since its going to be above 40, and should serve you very well.

He can certainly try a run with Rotella and do a UOA to see if the motor likes it or not. Id do a conservative one though to test the waters.

Last edited:
My only concern about recommending a 15/40 wt oil in a newer Harley, would be that it would thin out due to the heat the newer Harley's put out. When I had my '03 Ultra 20/50 wt oil would drain as fast as water out of it during a change. I use Valvoline VR1 also and it seems to be doing a good job. Just about every mfgr will recommend a heavier grade oil for vehicles used in hotter temps. So I guess in So Cal I would stay with 20/50 or heavier.,,

you guys are awesome

i began running rotella in my SBC gen1 and it kicks [censored] - but I need to remember that doesnt mean its magical for everything.

Robenstein, your exactly right - with true summer heat on us in Socal Ill be in 95+ temps all day long, I ride daily, in traffic, and hard so.........

Ive seen a few people suggest VR-1 in a 60wt - thoughts?

I dunno, my waterpump failed on my boat (mercruiser sterndrive) on saturday and the temp gauge never moved above 160F (It failed as well). The oil pressure gauge works good though, and when I checked the IR temp gun said the oil filter was at 375F and rotella T still had 45psi oil pressure. Tons of smoke was coming out of the crankcase vent. not a good situation.

I would have no problem running Rotella in an aircooled HD. 20W-50 Valvoline VR1 would also be an excellent choice, and probably my first choice.

Originally Posted By: Blackmopar
you guys are awesome

i began running rotella in my SBC gen1 and it kicks [censored] - but I need to remember that doesnt mean its magical for everything.

Robenstein, your exactly right - with true summer heat on us in Socal Ill be in 95+ temps all day long, I ride daily, in traffic, and hard so.........

Ive seen a few people suggest VR-1 in a 60wt - thoughts?

It only comes in a straight 60 weight, which is too thick on startup. Plus its hard to find much else beside the 10w30, 20w50, and straight 30 and 50 grades in most stores. Just run the 20w50. Harley motors unlike shared sump designs is a lot easier on the oil. Sure they get hot, but my shared sump air cooled Triumph is a lot harder on oil and it will shear it down more than your HD Twin Cam.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
It only comes in a straight 60 weight, which is too thick on startup. Plus its hard to find much else beside the 10w30, 20w50, and straight 30 and 50 grades in most stores. Just run the 20w50. Harley motors unlike shared sump designs is a lot easier on the oil. Sure they get hot, but my shared sump air cooled Triumph is a lot harder on oil and it will shear it down more than your HD Twin Cam.

i love you, man! (im assuming virtual manlove is tolerable here, right?! hahaa)

thanks again

Rotella is a good oil and I wouldn't hesitate for a second using it. However, UOA's have shown VR1 20W-50 dino returns better wear numbers in Twin Cams on a 5k mile OCI than M1 V-Twin. VR1 is $2.79/qt on sale vs. $9-$10/qt for the M1, and is even cheaper than $13/gal Rotella. It was a no-brainer for me so I switched to VR1 and haven't looked back...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Lost1
Rotella is a good oil and I wouldn't hesitate for a second using it. However, UOA's have shown VR1 20W-50 dino returns better wear numbers in Twin Cams on a 5k mile OCI than M1 V-Twin. VR1 is $2.79/qt on sale vs. $9-$10/qt for the M1, and is even cheaper than $13/gal Rotella. It was a no-brainer for me so I switched to VR1 and haven't looked back...
wink.gif

01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back